Premed 101 Forums

For the Dudes

youngdad

You probably want to wear pants.

i second this recommendation.

[edit] jokes aside, i think dress shirt + nice solid* v-neck sweater are fine, as long as you don't forget the dress pants and dress shoes. wear a tie between your shirt and sweater if you don't want to risk under-dressing too much.

*solid = no patterns.

example: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=28665&pid=620514&scid=620514002 argyle can be good or bad. solid is the safest.

IMO anything other than a suit is not appropriate. It can be solid, pinstripe, navy blue, black, grey, dark brown, whatever. But it must be a suit that you look good in. It's also not the time for experimenting with suits that you would wear on NFL Draft Night. No red with white pinstripes. Yes, that's serious.

The shirt inside can be any colour, while lighter shades work better rather than darker ones ie) light powder blue >>> dark midnight blue.

Ties should be simple, and avoid anything that looks like it represents a company. ex) Wearing a blue + gold striped tie makes you look like you work for VIA Rail. Colour itself not so important as matching the rest of your outfit.

Pocket squares are completely ridiculous. The staff at Moore's/ TipTop/ Sears, etc will try to tell you how suave you look and how it 'completes the package'. Ignore this commission making gimmick. Keep a pen with a silver or gold tab in your pocket if you feel that something needs to fill the void.

A friend of mine who had interviews at Ottawa U and Mac last year said that at her Ottawa U interview, everyone except for her wore black. She said it felt like a wake, lol, probably she had her interview on a depressing day. She said on the other hand, at Mac everyone was so diverse in what they wore from light coloured suits to simple dress shirts with a tie. I think this suit would steal the show !

You could tell them that the pink panther was the last movie you watched and absolutely adored it, then that would make a good seguay as to why you are wearing the pink suit.

pink%20suit-761891.gif

:eek:

suggestions on what to wear when its freezing cold yet still appear to be professional? i've grown too attached to my winter jacket which is deemed inappropriate for interview....bye jacket...

remove said jacket prior to beginning the MMI...wo cares what you look like when you walk into the brodie center, as long as you look respectable when you enter the MMI stations

If you get yourself a sweater, and not a ratty one, you will look alright walking into the interviews. It shows a more semi-formal, rather than formal look. But if you get a decent sweater that you picture preps wearing it looks rather good, and you can always slip it off just before walking into the interview. Depending on how cold it is, just wear long-johns under your dress pants, and bear the cold upper body, it will balance itself out.

Wow, so umm if I roll up with a simple black dress pants and dress shirt (no tie) I guess I'm going to look out classed beside the guys with full business suits and the works! What is the dress code for Mac anyways? I don't remember seeing anything in the interview invites package.

BTW, I'm the type of guy that wears jeans and t-shirts everyday :) .

there's really no reason why you can't wear a warm but ugly ski jacket or a puffer jacket outside your suit (as long as it fits over the suit). just take it off as soon as you are indoors. you don't have to have a formal coat.

formal coats are not warm at all. i think they are overrated.

remember no white socks! i saw someone at my last interview with white socks and dark pants. definitely not good. and make sure not too much of your legs are exposed when you sit, so wear long dress socks.

i wear jeans every day of the year, except for maybe 3-5 days.

Archived