Premed 101 Forums

Applying to USA Med... MSAR stats

Hi everybody,

I'm a Canadian student that is thinking of applying to American med schools this summer (as well as a few Canadian ones). So I've been going over all the threads to amass as much information as possible regarding application to American schools.

I've seen some people write that Canadian applicants stand a decent chance of getting into an American schools...

but this doesn't seem to be consistent with the stats that are in the MSAR...

here are the stats for Rosalind/chicago, for example, which many have described as being a 'Canadian friendly' school.

-

# of internationals that applied: 691

# of these applicants invited for interview: 53

Matriculated: 17

-

So only 2% of those that applied ultimately got in??? That seems like a pretty low (and by pretty low i mean ridiculously low) number for a "Canadian friendly" school.

Am i missing something here??

I mean for someone with stats like myself (GPA: 3.5; MCAT: 34Q; about 150 hours of volunteering; favorite color: red :) ) should i even bother applying?

any insight would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!

Guest viscous
Not all American schools consider Canadians as international students (most of them do not - I've emailed something like 40 schools last year and asked that). So, Canadians wouldn't be listed under international maticulants in that case.

are you sure about that? If that is the case then why would Canadians pay tuition as "international students?"

Another factor to consider is that the number that matriculate is going to be a lot lower than the number that are actually accepted because many Canadian applicants apply to the US as a backup and don't end up matriculating if they get accepted to a Canadian school. If you look at the stats from this forum you will see that there have already been a number of Canadian applicants that have interviewed and been accepted at US schools this year.

are you sure about that? If that is the case then why would Canadians pay tuition as "international students?"

He is right. the reason you pay tuition is because you are not an american citizen/PR and you don't pay US taxes, so you have no entitlement to federal loans that are funded by taxes.

He is right. the reason you pay tuition is because you are not an american citizen/PR and you don't pay US taxes, so you have no entitlement to federal loans that are funded by taxes.

Yes, Canadian students do not pay international tuition (which is even higher if you can believe it). We pay OOS tuition and because we are not eligible for any government loans we pretty much have to pay the entire amount ourselves (unless you managed to get a scholarship here or there).

the MSAR although informative about stats and school info can be misleading for canadian love. i bring up SUNY upstate which states they accept so many international students however this year they seemed to show minimal interest in canadians.

look at the interview invites, accepted threads and you will gain an idea of what favours canadians. by May-June there should be significant information about what schools were nice to us up north

Thanks a lot for the info - that's reassuring that they don't consider Canadians as being international applicants.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my stats - I mean, considering that are what they are, do I stand any chance of getting into an American school??? In particular I'm concerned that my low GPA would close a lot of doors... but hopefully not all of them?

flamesfan, it was like this on the other side of the fence. There were several guys who scored interviews at cornell, columbia (from their MDapps) that were pre-interview held/rejected by SUNY upstate (where they applied to because they wanted to stay in their home state). I think they just invited a few qualified people and then just put everyone on hold. I noticed that the ones that got interviews here from SUNY were qualified and were completed earlier than the ones that didn't.

^^ i agree those that received interviews on this board were qualified.

with that information their first year class must be like a dream team!

although one example i am sure is agreeable is BU. this year they definitely seemed to extend a hand across the border

well no not quite. These guys who were really competitive had no intention of going to SUNY. They were using it as a back up really in case sh!t hit the fan for them for the cycle. So maybe SUNY was bang on by not giving them interviews after all.

So if we are not lumped into the "international" applicants, what use is the MSAR in telling us which schools are canadian-friendly, or which schools to apply to? I got a copy of it but not sure how to use it now that I know that those international numbers don't apply.

Not all American schools consider Canadians as international students (most of them do not - I've emailed something like 40 schools last year and asked that). So, Canadians wouldn't be listed under international maticulants in that case.

I believe that *most* American schools consider Canadians as international students. When I read MSAR I think that the international column includes Canadians. If you need a student visa to matriculate then I believe you are considered international.

Yeah the only school I remembered that counted us as out of state Americans is NYU.

I think while Canadians are usually included within the international statistics, the issue is how many of those international matriculants are Canadian. Some schools treat all international students equally, while others will only take Canadians. So the stats are difficult to interpret that way.

Yeah the only school I remembered that counted us as out of state Americans is NYU.

I think while Canadians are usually included within the international statistics, the issue is how many of those international matriculants are Canadian. Some schools treat all international students equally, while others will only take Canadians. So the stats are difficult to interpret that way.

Well, I don't know about that. I was talking to the admissions people last year prior to applying. I emailed a lot of schools asking whether or not they consider Canadians as international or OOS and a bunch of them said that they look at Canadians as OOS (whether or not it's true seems hard to say at one point). I am only saying what they told me. But even if you are OOS you are still looked at differently than US applicants, at least that's the way it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Although they might not consider Canadians as international students after you get in, they'll you consider as such during the application process. So then your chances of getting in are like 4/2000.

Archived