Premed 101 Forums

the Premedical course of action + conflicting values

Hello,

I am a soon-to-be 25 year old with an undergrad in Psychology (arts). More than halfway through my degree it dawned on me (much to my surprise) that I have a passion for medicine. I just felt it was "my calling".

I am going through a very difficult time trying to decide if it is feasible for me at this point. I would GREATLY appreciate your opinions/advice on what I should do.

Seeing that I do not have any science prerequisites, I tried to go back to do the first year sciences at my university. I quickly discovered there are no shortcuts when it comes to studying sciences, as first year classes are built on knowledge at the high school level. I dropped those courses and enrolled in a correspondence highschool chemistry class.

To my understanding, I should take chemistry, math, and physics at the highschool level and then go on to do chem, physics, bio, and possibly biochem and organic chem in first year, THEN write the MCAT, then apply to med schools (I applied twice to McMaster and was rejected, despite having a GPA of 3.86 on the OMSAS scale).

Is this a good route to med school??

Any advice/suggestions?

How long do you think this would take???

ALSO, I do have a second (somewhat more pressing) concern (I'm at a major crossroads now). I figure that the time it takes to finish all these prereqs, MCAT, etc, it could be at the very least, two years, but most likely closer to 3. After investing all this time and effort, I will have to apply to medical schools, not even knowing if I'll get in. At that point I'll be in my very late twenties.

I am concerned about only "beginning" my career (IE after residency, etc) close to the age of 40.

I am also concerned about how medical school will affect my opportunity of having a family. I know this is mainly more a concern for women. I hope to get married and have a family, but seriously question if it is possible while in medical school. I am also concerned that potential suitors will run the other direction when they realize if they get involved with me, they're in it for the long haul, and may potentially have to seriously delay their own family plans (if guys even have such plans).

I could always go back and do a Masters and PhD in Psych, but I don't have a passion for it and don't want to spend the next 7 years of my life in academia. Sometimes I think I should just go do something else, like an MBA, but I know I'd be doing it just for the sake of GETTING SOMETHING DONE.

I don't want to reach the age of fifty and regret the decision to not go to medical school. At the same time, I don't want to reach the age of close to 40, and just starting to become financially stable and "starting life" with a family, etc. I feel like I have to choose one or the other.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated, especially if you've been in a similar situation yourself and have somehow overcome it.

Thank you all!

It seems like we have a lot in common. I'm also 25 and have a degree in psychology. I thought about going for a PhD but felt I would just be wasting my time and energy on something that I wasn't 100% committed to. In the end I decided to go back to undergrad to do my science pre-reqs.

You said you felt like you couldn't just start with 1st year sciences, but I bet you would be able to pull it off if you gave yourself the chance. I jumped into a 1st year chem course and was so lost the first week (had never taken chem and the extent of my knowledge was that water had two hydrogens and one oxygen-I literally knew nothing beyond that, lol). I was close to dropping it but then decided to just go for it. It didn't end up being as bad as I thought it would be. The first few weeks sound really scary because they keep referring back to high school info, but in reality they only tested new material that I was learning at the same pace as everyone else. Same with physics, math, etc. So my advice would be to do what I did, jump in head first and know that you can do it. Could save you a lot of time and effort by skipping high school stuff that I don't think you need (if my story is any indication).

Regarding the fear of being too old to pursue this, I know plenty of people who have started later in life (my friend is in her 1st year of med school and is 27). I just know I would be miserable for the rest of my life if I chose to follow another career just because it's more practical and convenient. Too many "what ifs" would drive me crazy and since it would take years to pursue any other career (PhD, master's, etc) I don't think an extra year or two on pre-reqs is really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but I do know how you're feeling. It can be really scary when you first decide to go for it, but I can't say I'm regretting it even though it's been a long process already. Good luck!

I was in a similar situation (BA in psych who was interested in med) but I was scared off by the prospect of staying in school that long so I took the easy way out and went to law school. Now several years later I have a law degree and an MBA (not a good plan unless you already have a strong interest in business) and am applying for med school at the ripe old age of 28. I've been doing all my missing pre-reqs via Athabasca and am really excited that I'm finally on the right track! Overall it's a scary process and you can expect some confused looks from friends and family when you announce that despite your arts background you want to go to med school but it's worth it in the long run.

Just for info, I'm 45 and applying this year. You may not think it, but at 25 you have a whole life ahead of you. If you want to do it, go ahead and try...

2 years ago I wrote a list of "things I need to do to get to Med School". When I'd finished I watched Mission Impossible because it looked easier. Now I'm wondering what I'll do if the letter of offer arrives...

Carpe Diem.

Hello,

I am a soon-to-be 25 year old with an undergrad in Psychology (arts). More than halfway through my degree it dawned on me (much to my surprise) that I have a passion for medicine. I just felt it was "my calling".

I am going through a very difficult time trying to decide if it is feasible for me at this point. I would GREATLY appreciate your opinions/advice on what I should do.

Seeing that I do not have any science prerequisites, I tried to go back to do the first year sciences at my university. I quickly discovered there are no shortcuts when it comes to studying sciences, as first year classes are built on knowledge at the high school level. I dropped those courses and enrolled in a correspondence highschool chemistry class.

To my understanding, I should take chemistry, math, and physics at the highschool level and then go on to do chem, physics, bio, and possibly biochem and organic chem in first year, THEN write the MCAT, then apply to med schools (I applied twice to McMaster and was rejected, despite having a GPA of 3.86 on the OMSAS scale).

Is this a good route to med school??

Any advice/suggestions?

How long do you think this would take???

ALSO, I do have a second (somewhat more pressing) concern (I'm at a major crossroads now). I figure that the time it takes to finish all these prereqs, MCAT, etc, it could be at the very least, two years, but most likely closer to 3. After investing all this time and effort, I will have to apply to medical schools, not even knowing if I'll get in. At that point I'll be in my very late twenties.

I am concerned about only "beginning" my career (IE after residency, etc) close to the age of 40.

I am also concerned about how medical school will affect my opportunity of having a family. I know this is mainly more a concern for women. I hope to get married and have a family, but seriously question if it is possible while in medical school. I am also concerned that potential suitors will run the other direction when they realize if they get involved with me, they're in it for the long haul, and may potentially have to seriously delay their own family plans (if guys even have such plans).

I could always go back and do a Masters and PhD in Psych, but I don't have a passion for it and don't want to spend the next 7 years of my life in academia. Sometimes I think I should just go do something else, like an MBA, but I know I'd be doing it just for the sake of GETTING SOMETHING DONE.

I don't want to reach the age of fifty and regret the decision to not go to medical school. At the same time, I don't want to reach the age of close to 40, and just starting to become financially stable and "starting life" with a family, etc. I feel like I have to choose one or the other.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated, especially if you've been in a similar situation yourself and have somehow overcome it.

Thank you all!

As you can see, you are totally not alone. I screwed around in undergrad for six years before getting my degree in nursing. A year later I decided I wanted to pursue medicine, so had to go back to uni for two more years for pre-reqs and then had to write mcat twice (first score sucked). This year I have my first interview ever at ubc - at 29 i do feel a little old but think of it this way: When you are practicing as a physician when you are 50, no one is gonna care if you have practiced medicine for 20 years or 25 years.

You only have one life to live so you may as well spend it doing stuff you love.

Hi...I too am one of you. I'm 25 and still plodding my way through a sociology degree (which will be done next year). I have no science background or prereqs whatsoever, not even high school.

But, you don't need the prereqs to write the MCAT. I plan on writing this summer in August, on just studying for four months with the ExamKrackers set before then. Then next year I'll do intro bio and chem (along with my soc honours) just so that I have them on my transcript.

My mom just finished her PhD and is 42, and regrets not having gone to med school, because she would have been a doctor years ago.

We can do it! We're all going to be 45 anyways so you may as well be a doctor at 45 than not one right?

________

penny stock picks

Hi I'm also 25 and I already have a B.Sc. degree and a M.Sc degree. However, I really screwed up in my undergrad and as a result I am contemplating going back to redo an undergrad before I apply again. I have been losing motivation but in the back of my head I am always thinking, would i rather be a doctor at 40 or a backup something at 40?? The only prob is, I'm pregnant and I am due this June...so I am also worried about parental responsibilities and also excelling in school. I guess at the end of the day its all about achieving what you want and focusing on it.

I agree with the posts so far - it is really never too late to do what you really want to do. I'm 27 this year, just finishing my last year of a BSc. I applied to U of C this year and didn't even get an interview, which was a blow. But, I'm going to do another year of undergrad (maybe 2) and then try again, because medicine is really something that I want to do. I've posted before about having a family before/during school - check out some of those threads in the non-trad forum. Anyway, you definitely aren't alone - there are many of us in the same boat - good luck!

If I may offer you a suggestion, have you considered doing the MCAT before doing your pre-reqs?

The MCAT covers a lot of what you need to know in first year physics, chemistry, and some of the bio.

If you don't do well on the MCAT, you can re-write it quite easily, but if you (God forbid) end up not doing well on your pre-reqs, it's harder to make up for it.

Taking an MCAT course (princeton/kaplan), writing the MCAT early, re-writing if your score is not as high as required might be a good idea, from my point of view :) And this way, you (I think) will be able to apply as early as this Sept., since most medical schools require that you complete pre-reqs prior to admission and not prior to applying.

Good luck!

ps: There are also a number of schools in Ontario that don't require too many pre-reqs; as far as I know, none of the schools in Ontario require Physics or Organic Chem.

i had to join in as I'm 29 and just writing the MCAT now and applying for 2010 entry. I spent 7 years in university collecting undergrads in med sci, business admin, and then did my MBA with a healthcare specialty. After working for a few years I realized making money is fine and all, but not fulfilling when your not helping society at large. I'm shocked that I'm not nearly as shallow as I previously thought and although I'm older than most medshcool students, I'm looking forward to being one.

It always makes me feel better when I think of how miserable I'd be in an unfulfilling career and how satisfying medicine will likely be. Never hurts to remember the alternatives if you're getting cold feet about the age thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi NM0904,

I've been skimming through the forum reading posts semi-randomly. Just came to yours after reading about someone in final year of med school who has realised it's really not for her.

I was in a similar position to you. Realised I wanted to do med much later than most. As a result of this I'm a bit older than my peers, and coming to Canada as an IMG has wasted a couple more. Had done some residency back home and now will hopefully be starting it again here, so by the time I'm done training I'll be almost 40, and for me it was definitely worth it.

I agree that you don't want to spend your life thinking 'what if', but if you decide to pursue medicine please make absolutely sure it's what you want to do. I'm sure you're well aware of the sacrifices of time, all the study and years it will take to finally get your MD.The problem is that those challenges are nothing compared to the struggles of residency, the lifelong sacrifices and skewed priorities and piles of BS bureaucracy/politics you have to put up with in medicine once you finally get to practice.

While some people go in to med for the money, prestige and to make mommy and daddy proud, I'm sure most (especially those who decide later on in life) do it for the satisfaction of knowing that they are helping people and doing something worthwhile, and trust me that this satisfaction is like no other. Just be aware that there is a big price that goes along with it. Too many med students with their heart in the right place get in to medicine with a very romantic/idealised view of what it'll be like.

So, my advice is to try to speak to some residents and attendings and get as good an idea of the realities of the life you'll be signing up for. If you're sure it's what you want to do AND you're well aware of what it'll really be like then definitely go for it. For some people (myself included) no obstacle is too great, and the rewards are all worth it, no matter how old you are.

Good luck to you!

Hi NM0904,

I understand how you feel, I am a mature student as well and I worry about getting into med and then having to put having a family on hold. It's a hard choice especially when all my friends are having babies right now. I have one friend who even calls her late 20's "baby time!!!". My sister in laws have even mentioned that medicine can't be for me cause then I will be too old to have babies!

The way I see it is that I'm not ready for babies right now because I am focused on getting in to med. If medicine wasn't really for me or if I didn't really care all that much I think I would feel the urge to have babies but so far that's not how I feel. You need to be ok with where your at, and for me right now I am at the application/ waiting stage. If I get in this year or next year and don't come out until I'm in my mid 30 then so be it. Lots of people choose to wait until their 30's to have their babies anyways. Don't let other peoples ideas affect what you want, know yourself and go after what you want. If you want med then GO FOR IT!

Get involved in some volunteering that means something to you. There is nothing you have to do to get in. Just maintain a consistent involvement in something you feel passionate about while you finish your pre reqs and go from there. At least thats what I did and I got an interview this year. Dont worry I only started my undergrad at 24!!!!! So 24 is not old or too late, just go for what you want!

The real irony in this is that I have meat several students doing their undergrad and hoping to apply to med school and they are in their thirties. Here we are in our early-mid-late twenties and we think of ourselves as old. lol, of course women do have to worry about the biological clock ticking away........tick, tick, tick, tick.

you can do it =)

I'm just a little younger (23), but I am taking the year off next year because my MCAT score wasn't up to snuff, so I'm writing it again on July 30, then hopefully I'll be getting in when I'm 25...and I'm also doing a psych degree, lol (finishing up my BSc.)

Those pre-reqs shouldn't take more than 2 years to finish...just finish those and write the MCAT

I "knew" I wnated to be a doc since high school, but was never committed to it. So I also bounced around the idea of becoming a PT, Teacher, and SLP...but the funny thing is, when I got experience doing those things, it made me realize how much more I wanted to become a doc....and seriously, it is better to take your time to get into a career you want than to be miserable the rest of your life doing a career you did not enjoy

I plan on getting married in my 2nd year of medicine (just a matter of getting in now, lol)...but honestly, it is better to find the one for you than to rush into things, don't worry so much about age...marriage happens when it happens

Now...I just have to find a job when I graduate, lol

Archived