Premed 101 Forums

How do emerg docs get paid?

takewhatsmine

• 2 months later...

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but I do see some grains of truths in what leviathan said. Just spent a few weeks of time on a medicine consult service in a larger-sized city that is considered a tertiary centre in Ontario... while many of the Emerg physicians in this particular centre are fantastic, some of them certainly do pass patients to the consult services without even completing the bare-minimum necessary work-up first, most notably around the time when shift changes occur. It's really frustrating because it's not good for hospital resources and it causes delays in patient care. I don't think the Emerg physicians in the smaller centres would be able to get away with stuff like what I've seen simply due to the limited consult services available peripherally. I hope that I didn't annoy anybody with my comment - just thought that I'd mention my perspective for people planning on doing/currently doing Emerg medicine residencies to consider. ;)

• 2 years later...
Yeah those extra 2 years aren't going to grant you any extra pay anywhere really. I have been told it probably will help you get hired at a particularly location though (which I suppose makes sense)

In Quebec, GP-EM bill differently from FRCP-EM. It's fee-for-service, and FRCP bill more for the same service provided

yeah, Quebec exceptionalism...

I think Ontario could well fetch #1 for totally absurd, idiotic and inane administration - certainly at any of the tertiary centers I've worked therein.

Hands down the most inefficient system I've ever worked in - and that's after comparison to BC, Alberta, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Strangely they are always "pioneering" health care solutions already implemented elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I think Ontario could well fetch #1 for totally absurd, idiotic and inane administration - certainly at any of the tertiary centers I've worked therein.

So this 19-year-old patient has been followed until last year at a clinic in a large, famous pediatric hospital literally across the street from the ED where he is now sitting. It should be trivial to get his medical records, right?

Wrong... :eek:

Archived