Premed 101 Forums

canadian applying to US residency program

danyl

They pay more malpractice insurance, have more overhead costs, and often to make the big bucks they have to live in cities/regions with high cost of living (manhattan)

They do pay more malpractice insurance and overhead costs, but even still they make $$$$$$$. And they don't need to live near cities, docs. out in the small towns still make crazy good money. I should know, I have about 12 relatives (so far) that are docs. in the U.S. All easily earning in the mid-high 6 digits, some in the 7!

On another note, how do 'merican med. residency programs look at people from Mac with their 3 year MD's?

... and one of the most ridiculous healthcare systems of any developed country

...which provides a lot of opportunities. For people who share your opinion and actually care to do something about it, you can work with the uninsured, get into public health, and make your mark.

Then again, there are also people who just want to practice medicine and collect their paycheque - at which point it doesn't really matter where the money comes from.

They do pay more malpractice insurance and overhead costs, but even still they make $$$$$$$. And they don't need to live near cities, docs. out in the small towns still make crazy good money. I should know, I have about 12 relatives (so far) that are docs. in the U.S. All easily earning in the mid-high 6 digits, some in the 7!

On another note, how do 'merican med. residency programs look at people from Mac with their 3 year MD's?

No idea, but I have reason to believe that mac seems to be pretty respected among big institutions.

I was just saying that the income gap is not as big as it appears to be. And the opportunity cost of the headache you get from malpractice may just not be worth it in the end.

Given our health-care system is crumbling we aren't in a position to judge. And to me, ridiculous is actually believe that health-care for all is a good idea; completely neglecting the fact that it is a time-sensitive commodity. Now that, is ridiculous.

... and one of the most ridiculous healthcare systems of any developed country

I think we can have PERSONAL reasons, other than money, for applying to US residency program..And yes to be brief, the opportunities offered there are interesting to me..."Us medical care'' point of view is not the canadian vision, but maybe we could find some pieces of solution for us...

now, please enough for the debate(that is I think a personal one), lets help me finding my infos...

thanks!

I think we can have PERSONAL reasons, other than money, for applying to US residency program..And yes to be brief, the opportunities offered there are interesting to me..."Us medical care'' point of view is not the canadian vision, but maybe we could find some pieces of solution for us...

now, please enough for the debate(that is I think a personal one), lets help me finding my infos...

thanks!

its called going to studentdoctor.net and finding out the info yourself. I doubt anyone here that is a regular poster can help you with this info. Try posting in the canadian forums on sdn.

Given our health-care system is crumbling we aren't in a position to judge. And to me, ridiculous is actually believe that health-care for all is a good idea; completely neglecting the fact that it is a time-sensitive commodity. Now that, is ridiculous.

Crumbling? In what respect? The OR I was in today seemed nice and shiny. Some examples of innovation here.

And, sure, health-care is time sensitive to a certain extent. Some things are urgent, some things aren't, and some are purely elective. Who should be denied care since health care "for all" is evidently a bad idea?

I thought the Canadian system was leagues better than the American system (given my egalitarian disposition). Then an American doc. explained the merits of their free-market system. It has undeniable advantages. I can't really go into everything he said on here, but rest assured there is some good behind the American system. And its not like he was talking out his ass because he spent half his life in the (apparently) abysmal Australian system. They have 16 million people, yet their health care situation looks worse than ours!

At the end of the day, I think a combination of the 2 systems is best. By this I mean run a private and public health care system. Many countries already do this, ex: Netherlands. They manage to have both systems without having the public system atrophy into a complete waste.

I thought the Canadian system was leagues better than the American system (given my egalitarian disposition). Then an American doc. explained the merits of their free-market system. It has undeniable advantages. I can't really go into everything he said on here, but rest assured there is some good behind the American system. And its not like he was talking out his ass because he spent half his life in the (apparently) abysmal Australian system. They have 16 million people, yet their health care situation looks worse than ours!

At the end of the day, I think a combination of the 2 systems is best. By this I mean run a private and public health care system. Many countries already do this, ex: Netherlands. They manage to have both systems without having the public system atrophy into a complete waste.

relax please

Archived