Premed 101 Forums

How to address a panel?

tyler582

I will be doing a panel interview this year and I have sort of an odd question. When I speak to a group of friends, I usually address the whole group saying 'you guys' (i.e. "you guys, look at this"). Saying 'you guys' to a panel doesn't seem to be respectful to me (i.e. "you guys should know that I don't just want to be a doctor for the mad cash").

Could someone plz recommend me a better way to speak to the 3 person panel as a whole?

Thanks,

-Tyler

What about saying "you all"? Like "You all should know that..." or "You should all know that..." Maybe make sure you say it in two seperate words or else it sounds like "ya'll"...Billy Ray Cyrus style...

Or even just say "you"...refering to them all? "You should know that..." while making sure to make eye contact with each person

Agreed with japlanet. Address the person asking the question first. Speak up so everyone can hear you and remember to make eye contact with each person in turn.

As an added bonus, when you shift your eye-contact you can gauge everybody's response to your answer and adjust accordingly. They might forget to keep that poker face when you're not looking at them... and then when you suddenly turn to them -THERE IT IS

at the end of the interview, how is it important to address the interviewers by their names as you're saying thank you & leaving?

Probably more important than the interview itself.

I think they'd probably like the fact that you paid enough attention to remember and address them by their names when leaving... shows character?

I think they'd probably like the fact that you paid enough attention to remember and address them by their names when leaving... shows character?

Do they tell you their names at the start of the interview or do they wear name tags/have their names displayed on the table infront of them?

Should you address them by their first name or by Dr. Whatever and Mr. Whoever? If they use their full name when they introduce themselves, I'm not sure how I would address them as I am leaving...

I had a similar question. I think it would be fine to address them as "sir" and "mam" during the interview to make things easier (not having to say their name all the time) and then when you leave say "thank you Dr. X or Ms. X" and actually use their name.

Address people by how they introduce themselves to you. I think that is the etiquette. If they say their name is John dough (like community member) then address as so. If they say their name is Mr. Dough, then address as so.

With that said, I bet you so many people forget the names during the interview at forget to address by the name that doing so will put you ahead of everyone else already.

Ok no, it is not more important than the interview itself. The fact is a large number of people don't, as there are ways to get around it, but the use of names just works to make your interaction more personal, and it gives you more of a "doctor image". That is ultimately what you are shooting for.

Archived