Premed 101 Forums

Low sGPA, but good cGPA and MCAT?

Guest viscous

i think cGPA is used as "main" criteria and that is the one given for "average gpa of matriculants" from previous years. But subpar sGPA will CERTAINLY raise eyebrows. more experienced comrades can correct me. this has been discussed before, I can see the old rusted fungi-infested thread right on the main page, please refrain from starting new threads about topics that have been discussed in great length before.

No sGPA is pretty important. They use it as a predictor of how well you'd do in their med program. Being able to excel in humanities and political science courses speaks volumes about your intellectual capacity (imo) but if you can't do well with the types of courses that requires a different mode of thinking (science) that is prevalent in med school, it'll hurt your chances.

Guest viscous
cgpa probably slightly more important

yes because, assuming that one's cgpa is based on a mix of art and science courses, it will show that students possess both "modes" of thinking i.e. science mcq/short answer mode and also essay writing, argument constructing and dissecting ability, and other qualities required for writing an aesthetic essay. but yes, a cgpa of 3.9 with 3.2 sgpa (based on sci pre-reqs if that is only what the arts student took) will certainly hurt you cuz it shows that science is your weakness and it still could be in medical school. but yea, that could be offset by a superior PS and BS score (14 each?). Too many variables at work here.

Archived