Premed 101 Forums

US & Can Application Timeline

Hi

Been thinking alot about US applications and wondering if anyone can help me with the timeline for it.

The only problem is that I wrote the Feb DAT and I don't feel confident about the scores. Will it be too late to write the American DAT in June if I find that my scores are really medicore?

This is what I've come up with:

Before May 15th

Fill out application, write up personal statement

Ask 2 science profs, dentist and a humanity prof for LORS

May 15 - Fill out aadsas application online and submit no later than June

Notify LOR writers to expect an email from aadsas and submit LORS

June - write American DAT (Not sure I have time to study though since I will be doing a USRA and have 1 Molecular Bio course with a Biochem lab...:( Unfortunately can't drop those since I need them to graduate)

Wait for notice......

Nov 1st - Rewrite the Canadian DAT (?)

Dec 1st - Apply to UWO and UoT

Hi

Been thinking alot about US applications and wondering if anyone can help me with the timeline for it.

The only problem is that I wrote the Feb DAT and I don't feel confident about the scores. Will it be too late to write the American DAT in June if I find that my scores are really medicore?

This is what I've come up with:

Before May 15th

Fill out application, write up personal statement

Ask 2 science profs, dentist and a humanity prof for LORS

May 15 - Fill out aadsas application online and submit no later than June

Notify LOR writers to expect an email from aadsas and submit LORS

June 1st - write American DAT (Not sure I have time to study though since I will be doing a URSA and have 1 Molecular Bio course with a Biochem lab...:( Unfortunately can't drop those since I need them to graduate)

Wait for notice......

Nov 1st - Can DAT Rewrite ????

Dec 1st - Apply to UWO and UoT

-AADSAS opens June 1st this year....

-Forget the USRA, studying for the DAT is much more important. I'd suggest dropping the Molec Bio course, but it sounds like you can't... So you'll have to make do.. Considering you didn't do too well on the canadian DAT the first time, I don't understand how you think you will be able to study very little the second time, rewrite, and get better scores... It makes no sense to me, do you understand where I am coming from?

-It doesn't take a lot of time to apply to UWO and UoT so you can probably get that done earlier.

-Writing a Personal Statement for the U.S. Schools was probably the most 2nd most time consuming thing in this application process for me.

-You are being very naive to think you will make all the deadline at the earliest dates at which you propose... You can plan as much as you want and feel good about yourself, but you need more than planning to execute this ambitious strategy. you really don't have any other choice for a Canadian DAT rewrite..You have to write it in November... so I don't understand why that is even there...

Do you have specific questions?

I used a letter from from a PI that did not teach me and it was fine. Make sure you check each school carefully though some require a biology teacher, some a chemistry teacher.... they are very specific

Here's an anecdote from my experience...

I submitted 3 reference letters to AADSAS (did not send additional letters to any school b/c I'm lazy like that):

- biology professor / associate dean

- health policy professor / PI of research that I do

- dentist

I applied to about 11 schools in the USA and my last letter went into AADSAS electronically on December 4th. I got interviews at something like 6 schools (Harv, Columbia, UPenn, Buffalo, Detroit, Nova) I applied to despite many of the schools requiring 3 letters from science professors (which I clearly did not have). I recently got an acceptance from Buffalo who on their site say: "letters of evaluation from three instructors in prerequisite science courses who have worked closely with the applicant are acceptable. The three letters should be submitted to AADSAS." I'm sure you could find similar statements from other schools' websites.

Clearly health policy is not a prerequired course at any school, thus I only have 1 LOR from a pre-req science course, yet they are still willing to grant me admission...

Take what you want from this...

-AADSAS opens June 1st this year....

-Forget the USRA, studying for the DAT is much more important. I'd suggest dropping the Molec Bio course, but it sounds like you can't... So you'll have to make do.. Considering you didn't do too well on the canadian DAT the first time, I don't understand how you think you will be able to study very little the second time, rewrite, and get better scores... It makes no sense to me, do you understand where I am coming from?

-It doesn't take a lot of time to apply to UWO and UoT so you can probably get that done earlier.

-Writing a Personal Statement for the U.S. Schools was probably the most 2nd most time consuming thing in this application process for me.

-You are being very naive to think you will make all the deadline at the earliest dates at which you propose... You can plan as much as you want and feel good about yourself, but you need more than planning to execute this ambitious strategy. you really don't have any other choice for a Canadian DAT rewrite..You have to write it in November... so I don't understand why that is even there...

Do you have specific questions?

The timeline is more so I have an idea when everything is opened or what the deadline is, I didn't really assume that I'd get everything done right at the earliest date. I put question marks after the November DAT cause I don't know how I did for the Feb one so I don't know if I have to retake.

Thanks for the advice though,

how long did it take for the LORs to go through the system? Also I'm having a hard time writing the PS. Do you have any advice on writing it?

How long does it take to fill out the aadsas form if you have the PS and your ECs organized?

THANKS

The American DAT has extra sections to study compared to the Canadian DAT, so it will take more studying time than the Canadian DAT. But, in terms of your timeline, it will take AADSAS time to process your application and then the schools won't really start looking at them for about 4 weeks (at the earliest). So.. you could move back your DAT date to July even and still be considered quite early.

Even if you moved it back further than July, it will be better to write the DAT later and get better scores (if you think that would be the case) than writing it early just to be in the first batch of applications.

I would say don't worry so much about writing the DAT at the beginning of June and focus instead on a realistic time that you could be prepared, especially if you have other stuff going on during the summer.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I'll be applying to US dent schools this June (hopefully). I've written the Canadian DAT many times and US DAT once (in March) and I got 20 or above for each section (except organic chem). My GPA is really low ... should I rewrite this US DAT again this summer? But the thing is, I have to wait 3 months before I can rewrite it, so say I were to apply in June, could I resubmit my newer DAT scores? Will they even look at the newer scores after I have already submitted my application? Or should I wait until after i rewrite it to submit...

Thanks!

Archived