Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Preparation

hopeful.md

Hey Guys! :)

So, now that MCAT registration has begun, it is time to start thinking about how to study for the actual test. I am planning on self-studying and here's my plan:

- TPR Hyperlearning books

- EK complete package

- Nova Physics Review

- EK 101/10001 Practice (and possibly the 16 mini-MCATs)

- AAMC + practice tests (password from friend who's taking Kaplan course)

What do you guys think of my plan? I have searched through these forums and I had to amalgamate reviews from a lot of people.

Please let me know if my plan of studying is sufficient!

Thanks everyone! :)

I think you are confusing 'excessive' and sufficient.

Your University notes/textbook + the AAMC Topics covered on the MCAT + the AAMC practice exams is "sufficient".

You have a really comprehensive list of materials to study. The easy answer is that yes, that is more than enough to cover everything. MORE than enough.

Hey Guys! :)

So, now that MCAT registration has begun, it is time to start thinking about how to study for the actual test. I am planning on self-studying and here's my plan:

- TPR Hyperlearning books

- EK complete package

- Nova Physics Review

- EK 101/10001 Practice (and possibly the 16 mini-MCATs)

- AAMC + practice tests (password from friend who's taking Kaplan course)

What do you guys think of my plan? I have searched through these forums and I had to amalgamate reviews from a lot of people.

Please let me know if my plan of studying is sufficient!

Thanks everyone! :)

I personally prefer EK, but yout list is definately "excessive".

That's what exactly I have except Nova. It's called combined arms lol. You'll find Ek is weak in physics but NOVA should make up for it. Ek chem is alright but TPR is amazing for chem. TPR also has great essay writing instruction which is relevant in Canada. Ek is good for everything else you'll have a ****load of verbal practice as well. You'll do well if you nail all those...I might actually go ahead and buy Nova.

hey hopeful.md,

I'm planning to rewrite the MCAT this summer. Would you mind forwarding the posting where you compiled your list? I can't seem to find nova physics on amazon. I wanted to read some reviews on it. Definitely need to spruce up my physics.

thanks.

I work at a bookstore so I can't wait to take advantage of that discount, though it'll only get me so far!! I was looking through our store's system and it said that the kaplan complete package comes out on Mar. 19th i believe, all the individual Kaplan subject books are coming out May 17th (i think) and are about $50. I did my prereqs about 2.5-3 years ago so I'm going to look into investing in these as well apart from the complete packages and practice tests.

I'm more concerned with time management and managing my summer courses with mcat study time and work. :(

Well I used 2004s last year, and 2009's this year (well didn't ook much into them yet). Not much of a change in the verbal that's for sure (added 3 passages) but the sciecnes are significantly bigger (you have to remember it's been 5 years). I don't think 1 year will be a big issue. Sometimes the AAMC might decide to cut or add in materials but I think it's infrequent. Someone was telling me the 2005's and 2008's were similar, but he was trying to sell his 2005's...sort of asking the vacuum cleaner salesman if you need a vacuum cleaner.

Well I used 2004s last year, and 2009's this year (well didn't ook much into them yet). Not much of a change in the verbal that's for sure (added 3 passages) but the sciecnes are significantly bigger (you have to remember it's been 5 years). I don't think 1 year will be a big issue. Sometimes the AAMC might decide to cut or add in materials but I think it's infrequent. Someone was telling me the 2005's and 2008's were similar, but he was trying to sell his 2005's...sort of asking the vacuum cleaner salesman if you need a vacuum cleaner.

Cool, thanks Octavius!

hey hopeful.md,

I'm planning to rewrite the MCAT this summer. Would you mind forwarding the posting where you compiled your list? I can't seem to find nova physics on amazon. I wanted to read some reviews on it. Definitely need to spruce up my physics.

thanks.

If you're canadian and have three weeks to spare, order here:

http://www.amazon.ca/MCAT-Physics-Book-Garrett-Biehle/dp/1889057339/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236719741&sr=8-1

If you're american, or want to reviews, order here:

http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Physics-Book-Garrett-Biehle/dp/1889057339/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236719801&sr=8-1

As for research, there's a lot of **** on the student doctor network, or probably this place if you use the search function.

Quick request, is there a reliable link to browse/purchase the TPR hyperlearning set. I checked the tpr site but couldn't find a place to buy only the materials (can you even do that?).

Craigslist, Kijiji, the classifieds on this board? Tons of places (or people rather). TPR would want you to buy their course and those are pretty much the magnum opus, why sell them for less? You won't find it on their site lol.

NP, good luck. I paid 100 for my **** to give you a guide. Examkrackers is about the same for the complete set. TPR is weak on verbal so make sure you get that EK 101 passages book. Get that now, it has a tendency to sell out during peak periods...or maybe I just have bad luck. People were price gouging at 200 bucks a pop for that book, but examkrackers was switching editions.

^^ I just purchased EK 101 and all the others online. I cried when I saw the final bill... thankfully my parents are paying for the books now.

I have about 5 months to study so I'm hoping I can supplement any of the weaker content with new books later.

yeah the others are all the EK books except physics and chem, i got nova physics instead and I might get berkeley physics and chem, as they are my weakest subjects. I got the Kaplan premier (new) from my cousin, gonna buy the aamc exams too of course. It may seem like a lot but I'm taking no chances, I did my pre-reqs about 3 years ago and so all of it's been drained/pushed out by new material. I want to do my best the first time...I doubt I'll be able to afford a free 5 month study window again.

Hmm if you do get Berkeley, tell me how much customs and duties are.

The verbal/math book isn't that great but it gives you strats and stuff...although I can probably summarize the strategies here lol.

Kaplan Premier? Did you check the revirews on that?

Yeah do well, 5 months is plenty and you don't want to write it again. I'm writing again (didn't write first time because of a contract) and its hard to study just because I've been through this **** like 6 times. The problem is that it takes so much time to build the knowledge then it evaporates really quickly, and it doesn't really help you much in the long term anyway.

Yeah you'll want EK for bio and EK 1001 bio questions for practice. They're passage format. TPR Hyperlarning has this giant workbook that's also good but Berkeley is miles ahead for PS apparently.

Archived