Premed 101 Forums

Back up plan: Can it hinder future chances?

I heard that sometimes a Master's degree could hurt your chances of entering UofA med in the future. Is there any truth to this?

My back up plan if I am not accepted is to enroll in a Masters (which I am in the process of applying for) so i could start Sept 09 if I am not starting med in Sept 09. Although this would delay my next application by 2 years, instead of 1, is there any chance that the school could see completing a masters as merely filling the gap and a waste of resources?

I don't think that it should hurt any chances, ( and should only help) but I heard the contrary.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

PS, the other option would be just working for a year.

And, I wouldn't do a masters just 'cause'. I like research, and have done summmers of research and a 4th year research project.

I heard that sometimes a Master's degree could hurt your chances of entering UofA med in the future. Is there any truth to this?

My back up plan if I am not accepted is to enroll in a Masters (which I am in the process of applying for) so i could start Sept 09 if I am not starting med in Sept 09. Although this would delay my next application by 2 years, instead of 1, is there any chance that the school could see completing a masters as merely filling the gap and a waste of resources?

I don't think that it should hurt any chances, ( and should only help) but I heard the contrary.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

PS, the other option would be just working for a year.

And, I wouldn't do a masters just 'cause'. I like research, and have done summmers of research and a 4th year research project.

Why in the world would it hurt someones chances? I highly doubt it. Do the masters you sound like you would enjoy it and therefore benefit from it.

Perhaps someone who looked at the admission stats gave her the idea that it was difficult, just because only 4 ppl with a master's were admitted..... ??? Just an idea. Personally I think you can never go wrong with more experience, and more education. I can't see how they could fault you for it.

Admission Statistics

Entering Statistics - 2008

Total Applications 1149

Total Quota Positions Available 142

Over Quota Rural Positions 10

4 year applicants 115

Total 2/3 applicants 27

Over Quota - Aboriginal applicants 3

Accepted Out-of-Province Applicants 22

Accepted Students with a BSc & BA 110 & 2

Accepted Students with Master/Phd 4 & 2

Male 85

Female 70

you are only classified as a master's student if you have it done by something like june. quite a few of us (including myself) actually didn't technically have our master's by that date. i think 3 or 4 of us finished ours up after Sept 08, and then there's the summer graduates, who wouldn't be counted as master's graduates either.

________

History Of Scuderia Ferrari History

you are only classified as a master's student if you have it done by something like june. quite a few of us (including myself) actually didn't technically have our master's by that date. i think 3 or 4 of us finished ours up after Sept 08, and then there's the summer graduates, who wouldn't be counted as master's graduates either.

Yes, and also one should note that many med applicants go to do a master's because they have a low GPA or were previously rejected for that or some other reason, so they might, on average, be less competitive as far as the rest of their application is concerned. So the # of MSc students applied vs. accepted should be taken with a grain of salt.

No, I'm just trying to say that doing a backup plan implies you didn't get in the 1st time, which suggests you weren't competitive for whatever reason, and who knows whether an MSc would be enough to fix it or not.
As we all well know, not getting in /= not competitive... just thought I'd clarify!

an msc isn't always a backup. people can like research and then they realize they like interacting with people more. LOL. i tease, even though this is true for a lot of research.

Actually, you're not wrong! Sounds awfully like something echoed by one of the post-docs in our class!

Archived