Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites for U.S. Dental and Medical Schools

Mila

This is one of my firsts posts here, ive been getting some great info from this site, so thank you ahead of time everyone!

Just a question (may have been posted here before but I did a search on the site and got nothing) -

Do all US Dental and Medical schools require physics? Im only in my first year of my undergrad so i was wondering, should i take physics just to keep my options open? On the other hand its not one of my strong points so I could do bad and risk the option of ruining my CGPA. Are there any US schools that dont need it (both dental and med).

Side note: Do all US schools require BOTH Orgo chem and General chem?

Too many things to consider when going international for med. especially in the US:confused:

Thanks!

Mila, check out the AMCAS website, if you haven't already. http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/start.htm

They have a page that lists all the US medical schools that participate in AMCAS, and links to their admissions websites. I would suggest checking those websites directly for admissions requirements. Yeah, it might take some time to check more than a school or two, but then at least you've found the info right from the source.

To answer your question, yeah, I'd take physics if I were you. Not only for med school requirements, but also for the MCAT. I was TERRIFIED to take university-level physics, because I didn't take it in high school, but it turned out OK in the end. I'm glad I did, because it made studying for that section of the MCAT easier than if I'd had to learn it all from scratch!

Archived