Premed 101 Forums

Studying for MCATs while doing Research

invincible110

I am a first year Master's student and am planning to do the MCAT for the first time this summer. I have registered for my test in the first week of August. I have relatively good background in all the material except verbal which I plan on focusing a lot of my attention on, but I was wondering how much time you guys think is sufficient time to study for the test, especially when I have to commit a lot of time to do research. Im sure there were others in this position too (doing undergrad research would probably be the same too)

Like at least an hour a day starting in april and then studying heavily in mid-june and all of july?

Also all the books I have are from 2005. Should I get new books?

Thanks

I would need 2 months full time study to prepare. Hmm verbal doesn't take much to prepare for actually, get that EK 101 passages book and all the AAMC exams. What supplies are you using (what company). I used 2004 for last year (didn't end up writing because my employment contract became too much) and I didn't see a HUGE difference in new material in the 2009s... If you're concerned, check the AAMC site to see what they're testing specifically. People will recommend not having material becore 2006 becuase its CBT but honestly I don't think many companies coped with it (nor does it matter). I know examkrackers just sliced a quarter of their questions and took passages out of a 10 test practice set and made 14 7 test practice sets lol...

Can't predict how much you need, how good are you at the subjects? I haven't seen the pre-reqs in almost half a decade lol so it took me awhile to regenerate the knowledge.

I think they cited the average at 500 hours? I could be mistaken.

If you're that concerned about old materials just get new ones, a TPR set would cost you 100, an examkrackers set around 100-150. Your call. Remember that 1 application will probably cost more than an mcat study set.

I wrote it twice, once in January (studying in the school year) and once in August (studying during summer research with NSERC), so its definately doable. I got 32M each time. 32 was good, but really not fond of that M.

Get EK books.

Thanks.

I have right now the entire set of TPR books for 2005 and some 2006 books for certain sections. I also have the 101 EK verbal passages and 16 mini-mcat book. I have actually started reading TPR-verbal book now and am hoping to maintain a consistent work schedule to keep me on track.

I have been reading that, since I have seen the majority of this stuff in my undergrad (albeit I might have forgotten things) that it might be more worthwhile to look through the EK set and use TPR as reference for things that I don't understand. I hear that the EK books are more concise and that TPR books generally discuss a lot more than the MCAT tests you on (although I am one of those people that likes to know as much as possible about certain topics- to be able to make connections - but I also know time is precious). So I am planning to buy the EK set (PM me if any of you are interested in selling your EK books lol I live in Toronto)

Come May and onwards (my test is in Aug), I think I will come into the lab from 9-5 (atleast) and then afterwards go to the library or something and study until 8 or 9pm and then go home (I commute 1hour each day which isn't helpful either). This summer is going to be fun - (it's a good thing I love the research I am doing otherwise it would be dreadful). Hopefully I don't burn out...I understand that can happen as well...

I'm in the same situation :-) I am graduating April 30, and I start in a lab May 1st, start my Masters Sept. 7th and my MCAT is Sept. 4th, first time write. I have all the TPR books from 2006 as well and EK verbal strategies and 101 Passages, EK Orgo, EK 1001 Bio and 1001 orgo questions. I've taken bio, orgo, chem, biochem, genetics, etc. but all 2-3 years ago. No physics. My strategy is the same, I'll study during my research work if I can and then hit the library after work (its a 3 minute walk from my lab!) then walk home but no 1 hr commute for me (I used to when I lived in Toronto to get to high school!). I also picked up a free copy of Audio Osmosis...

oh and PS: burnout... I did my first attempt at writing it (after 2nd year). Be careful. I was working at a pharmacy, training with a preolympic team and studying at the same time (in a house with NO AIRCONDITIONING) it was bad. I didn't set myself up for success. I improved my situation this time around :-) (well hopefully...i hope the lab work isn't too much for me)

Hi thanks for the reply lost...looks like we are in very similar situations, except you got longer to study :P After I booked my test for the first week of August, I was like c*** I might need longer to study. But at the same time I don't want to ruin my whole summer.

And I don't really plan on applying this year unless I do really well, since I feel I have to build up my ECs and publish stuff in grad school, so I don't mind taking the MCAT again in the fall.

Anyhow I will keep in touch with you lost to see how things develop :)

Just got Audio osmosis too, man that tape is boring, but what else am I going to do during commutes.

I'm in the same position as you all too! I'm in my first year of a Research based masters and all of my data collection will be happening in the summer. I am writing the MCAT in late august. I wrote it in my undergrad and completely bombed it :P I didn't study nearly enough because I thought I knew everything from my undergrad courses...got a lil' cocky! I deserved the bad mark I got, as well as the reality check! ha ha!

My plan of attack is to work on my research from 9-5 (regular work day!) then study in my office til about 8 or 9 (like the OP) and concentrate on practice tests on the weekends. I have the TPR massive book and couple undergrad physics and orgo. texts.

Good luck everyone! Great to see fellow grad students :D

wooh another person :-) sometimes I feel that I left this MCAT business "too late" I talked to some THIRD year students who already have a great MCAT mark under their belt (from when they were in second year!) while I'm now taking it. But! it's gotta be done and its my time to tame the beast now. PM you two for my MSN and we can keep each other motivated!

I'm in the same position as you all too! I'm in my first year of a Research based masters and all of my data collection will be happening in the summer. I am writing the MCAT in late august. I wrote it in my undergrad and completely bombed it :P I didn't study nearly enough because I thought I knew everything from my undergrad courses...got a lil' cocky! I deserved the bad mark I got, as well as the reality check! ha ha!

My plan of attack is to work on my research from 9-5 (regular work day!) then study in my office til about 8 or 9 (like the OP) and concentrate on practice tests on the weekends. I have the TPR massive book and couple undergrad physics and orgo. texts.

Good luck everyone! Great to see fellow grad students :D

Just a heads up, I tried this early in January this year. I had a full-time 9-5 job and I planned on studying after work in the evenings for a couple hours each day. My test is this May 28th and I thought I had lots of time. What ended up happening is that after work I would be pretty tired (mentally and physically), and the hours of studying that I did (about 2-3 hours) were not very optimal. It's a very different thing for your brain to be free to study for the MCAT (if you are not working) as opposed to studying after a full day of work. I stopped working a couple weeks ago and I've been doing MCAT stuff pretty steadily. When I wake up now I can focus on one thing and the hours (5-6 hours/day) are optimal brain hours, rather than tired brain hours.

Just a heads up, I tried this early in January this year. I had a full-time 9-5 job and I planned on studying after work in the evenings for a couple hours each day. My test is this May 28th and I thought I had lots of time. What ended up happening is that after work I would be pretty tired (mentally and physically), and the hours of studying that I did (about 2-3 hours) were not very optimal. It's a very different thing for your brain to be free to study for the MCAT (if you are not working) as opposed to studying after a full day of work. I stopped working a couple weeks ago and I've been doing MCAT stuff pretty steadily. When I wake up now I can focus on one thing and the hours (5-6 hours/day) are optimal brain hours, rather than tired brain hours.

I find I'm like that too: during the school year I have so much trouble juggling even a part time job with full time classes - I gave up trying to work during the school year during my second year. If I scheduled my shift after classes, I would be too beat to do my job; if my shift was before then I would be falling asleep in classes. Studying efficiently was not happening (my grades showed this). This summer I'll be working part time only (20-25 hours a week) and I think I should be okay (no MCAT classes or anything, just self-study) unless the MCAT turns out to be equivalent of five classes (I doubt it).

Archived