Premed 101 Forums

Questions for UoS Students

Why should one choose U of S Med? (Pros and Cons of the School)

What is the curriculum like at U of S?

And how is Health care any different in Sask, compared to the other provinces/Canada in general (anything special?)... any good resources to learn about health in sask?

Amnesty:

Pros:

The class is quite a bit smaller than most other schools (just over 80 students), so its easy to get to know the people in your class and in the upper years very well.

Our professors are fantastic.

Cons:

At times there are some troubles with organization. Its tough to know when assignments are due, when we have lab quizes, which classes are when etc. But this issue has been brought to the attention of the administration and they are doing their best to keep this to a minimum.

Cirriculum:

As I'm only in my first year, I can only comment on what I've experienced so far.

The courses you take as a Med I are equivalent to 43 credit units. So almost a year and a half of courses in one year.

Form & Function will be your biggest class, where you tackle the physiology, anatomy, histology and embryology of the human body one system at a time (cardiovascular, respiratory, head & neck, etc). In addition to this big class there are courses in Neuroanatomy, Pathology, and Medical Biochemistry. Aside from these basic science courses, you're also required to take Professional Skills (where you learn how to a comprehensive patient interview and perform a physical exam as well as discuss ethics and develop your communication skills.) and Professional Issues in Medicine (you discuss current issues medicine). Finally there is Lifecycles & Humanities. In lifecycles you discuss child development, breastfeeding, complementary medicine or just get a chance to talk about anything on your mind (stress, etc).

Healthcare:

There is a book that I read that I feel helped me gain a solid foundation regarding our HC system called "Health Care in Saskatchewan: An Analytical Profile" by Gregory Marchildron. This book really breaks down the infrastructure, spending, costs, demographics, etc etc of our healthcare system. There is alot of statistical jargon, but you can get a decent understanding of our HC system.

I hope you find the above useful. I'll be volunteering this weekend so I look forward to meeting some of the applicants. Good luck this weekend!

I am in 2nd year just starting to get into Clerkship planning stages. I did abit of research when I was applying, and now have talked to few Residents from out East so I guess here it goes:

Pros

-small classes, you know everyone, and the class dynamics is usually amazing, because most of us are from Sask, and having lived in toronto and Vancouver, I really do have to say Sask people are super nice

-the profs are nice, but most importantly the hands on experience. Remember there are 80 or so of us, and there is 70 in 2nd year, 60 some in 3rd, so the hospitals aren't as crowded. We have less residents than some of the bigger schools, again lots of hands on experience. It's quite frequent that if you are assertive then you probably will get to suture etc in your first year. I don't think that happens out east unless you actual know people.

-there are about 2 residency positions here per graduate, probably better when you graduate. If you just apply yourself during clinicals and clerkship here, no residency position isout of your reach.

Cons:

-Saskatoon sucks if you like traveling, because it's hard to get cheap flights to anywheres nice.

-Med is slightly disorganized, because they are trying to sort out how much stuff should be problem based versus diactic teaching...there have been days where we are not sure where and what we are suppose to be doing. But overall, it's not bad, makes for interesting times that's for sure. I am the type that enjoys chaos once in a while, the program is not super regimented, outside the class there are lots of opportunities to do other things and explore your interested.

Just remember at the end of the day, doesn't matter where you go to, you are the most important factor in terms of how much you get out of your university experience. If you go into it thinking it's gonna be awful, then it probably will be. If you have common sense about you, and you are a people person you will enjoy med school no matter where you go. At the end of the day no one really cares where you graduate, esp your patients.

Hope that helps,

W

Archived