Premed 101 Forums

Taking a year off before applying?

Do people typically always apply to med school right after they finish their undergrad? I'm a non-trad (married), and I was thinking of taking a year (worst case 2) off after I finish my undergrad to do the family thing (I.e. get preggers and eat lots of ketchup and pickles).

Do med schools expect you to apply right after you are done your program? Do they care if I apply 2 years later? Do I need to keep up with my ECs during this time?

I definitely wouldn't apply and then ask for a deferral for something like this (I.e. not an emergency and I'm not finishing a PhD), and I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I don't really want to wait until I'd be done med, for many good reasons.

Anyone in the same boat or contemplating the same?

Go ahead and take the year off. I have a 14 month old and I'll be waiting until she goes to kindergarten before applying, which is fine because it gives me time to finish my undergrad AND have a year to work my tail off to save cash. I used to really regret having my daughter before getting started in school, but now I'm grateful for it because my childbearing is out of the way and now I can just focus 100% on my career.

My situation is unique though, because I live in a very northern/rural location and I'll have to relocate without my family to attend school. That's pretty much the main reason why I'm waiting a few more years. I'm also only 22, so the wait time doesn't really affect my timeline too much.

You might be older then me, but still. A year is just a year. Take it! Save up cash and do volunteer work and stuff. I speak from experience when I say you'll eventually get desperate to leave the house, even just for adult interaction.

Well, better to get the kids out of the way before you start so the adcoms are satisfied that you won't bail out halfway through school because of baby fever. Like I said though, I don't know how old you are. If you're already getting older you may as well keep living your life normally, especially since meds admission is such a crapshoot. Don't miss your window of opportunity because of something that's not guarenteed. That would just be silly.

I'm taking a year off

I need to improve on my MCAT score, and I figure it would be a good way to prevent burn out from school as well as doing things outside of academia that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

To me, the year off is a blessing in disguise :)

I suggest keeping up with your EC's...and IIRC, the average entry age for med students is not 21 or 22...more like 24 I believe...maybe even 25. So no worries

I really don't think that taking a year off can hurt your chances of getting in to med. I mean it doesn't change anything about what marks you got or what your MCAT score was. I would think the only thing to be concerned about would be losing contact with the people that you would ask for references. But as long as your maintain contact or at least let them know that you might be asking them for a reference at some point down the road it's all good.

Also, I would even say that with the shift of a lot of the schools to the MMI schools are really trying to get to know you as a person, so having the life experiences that come from taking a year off might really be beneficial. I think the more well rounded a person you are the better you can come across in an interview and for a lot of people that comes from taking some time off and doing something other than school.

Archived