Premed 101 Forums

Can Canadians really attend US med schools without a visa?

I was just reading the admission requirements for international students at SUNY upstate university and they claim that Canadians can attend US med schools without a visa??

Don't we need a visa to study in the US or is that just for residency? If this is true...then can't we apply for a green card during this time? lol

http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/basics/international/faqs.php

I was just reading the admission requirements for international students at SUNY upstate university and they claim that Canadians can attend US med schools without a visa??

Don't we need a visa to study in the US or is that just for residency? If this is true...then can't we apply for a green card during this time? lol

http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/basics/international/faqs.php

yes, F1 visa

My sister is in school in the US...she has a student visa, the school provided her with documentation etc...but she does not have a green card...although, she is allowed to work 15 or so hours on campus .during her undergrad years..

..Once she graduates, she is allowed to work in the US for min a year in her field of study...then she must apply for green cards etc..on her own, and a company etc..would have to sponsor her...

Fingers crossed that Obama does not change this becaue of the current economic crisis in the US

"Canadian Citizens: Canadian citizens currently do not require an entry visa to enter the U.S. from Canada, but DO require an I-20. However, we recommend that you use a passport to enter the U.S. as it may be required for other purposes in the U.S., such as completing a form for employment on campus, or applying for a Social Security number. If you enter the U.S. from a country other than Canada, you are required to present a passport at the port of entry. Beginning December 31, 2006, all Canadian citizens entering the U.S. by air or sea will be required to show a passport to enter the United States. Effective December 31, 2007, a passport will be required for ALL entries to the U.S., including land borders.

To enter the U.S. in F-1 student status, Canadians DO require an I-20 and proof of payment of the SEVIS fee. To pay the SEVIS fee, go to http://www.fmjfee.com and follow the instructions. Be sure to make a copy of the receipt for your own records.

At the port of entry, Canadian students must present the Form I-20 and supporting financial documentation to the immigration inspector to be admitted into the U.S. in F-1 status. You will be given an I-94 Admission/Departure card to complete. Be sure to look at your I-94 card before you leave the inspection area to ensure that it has the notation "F-1, D/S" written on it. Canadian students must have an I-94 card to confirm current F-1 status. If not, you are considered to be in Visitor (B-2) status, a status which does not permit study in the U.S.

Some Canadians have mistakenly assumed that regulations that apply to international students do not apply to them. Students from Canada are subject to the same regulations regarding employment in the United States, requirement for full-time study and all other provisions for maintaining status. It is especially important for Canadian students to be vigilant about entering the United States in proper student status, as immigration inspectors are accustomed to admitting Canadian citizens as visitors."

Official statement from US Consular:

Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a $100 registration fee.

When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

1. Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example)

2. The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate

3. Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee

4. Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend

5. Proof of your ties to Canada

do you need to have proof that you have funds for all 4 years, or just the first year?

Hi,

I called the med school that I was accepted at, and they said the first year. Call them, I think that's the best way to find out for individual med schools.

Thanks for the info! Kalia, you're currently enrolled in a US med school as a Canadian student right? Are you planning to come back to Canada for residency or do your residency in the US? For which you would need the H-1B visa right?

May I ask which school you got accepted to? (or just the state if you don't want to) What was your GPA/MCAT score? Do US med schools treat canadian students any differently from international ones? What was your experience like? Also, did you apply to Canadian schools as well or just American?

thanks again.

Archived