Premed 101 Forums

Is it worthwile to apply for American Medical Schools?

NiV

I am not sure whether I should apply to America Medical Schools with these marks::confused:

11P 12B 9V and N in writing + 3.6 Canadian GPA

Its the essay mark that is really confusing me.

I am considering Wayne and SUNY upstate. I am open to suggestions If there is any other American Med school that I should look at let me know. :)

Can someone tell me if stats of those who got accepted this year are posted in any thread.

Thanks for your reply Classic.

Can you give me a a rough estimate of what you mean by average (3.5-3.7 anything like that) and I also was under the impression that Canadian GPA of 3.6 would be around 3.8 for American schools and is it still considered average???

What do you think about will I be wasting my money by applying there?

American schools don't really care too much about the MCAT writing score.

For anyone applying to the states with average stats I think they need to apply broadly (suck up the $$ factor) because each school looks for different things.

and really really early. You would honestly be an idiot not to do so if your stats aren't strong. Heck you would be an idiot not to regardless of your stats. Why not take every advantage you have when it has to do with your future?

I am not sure whether I should apply to America Medical Schools with these marks::confused:

I am considering Wayne and SUNY upstate. I am open to suggestions If there is any other American Med school that I should look at let me know. :)

Can someone tell me if stats of those who got accepted this year are posted in any thread.

Before you consider whether you should apply to American schools with those marks, you should consider first whether or not you can afford medical school in the US.

I know some people will say "get an acceptance first and then worry about it", but if you're thinking about Upstate/Wayne, you have to realize that a) Wayne is really expensive and B) there's no financial aid

Before you consider whether you should apply to American schools with those marks, you should consider first whether or not you can afford medical school in the US.

I know some people will say "get an acceptance first and then worry about it", but if you're thinking about Upstate/Wayne, you have to realize that a) Wayne is really expensive and B) there's no financial aid

I think its possible to afford it if you take some cost cutting measures and learn to invest intelligently some of the money banks/OSAP gives you.

Furthermore, I hear some rumors about financial aid for Canadians in 2nd year (I'm not sure how much truth there is to this).

At SUNY Upstate, I believe you pay instate tuition after the 1st year if you show you've been living in Syracuse for a year. So Upstate I think will be significantly cheaper.

I would honestly apply to many more schools than that to give yourself a good chance. Look at George Washington, St. Louis, Tulane and Rosalind Franklin as well. Definitely APPLY early. Get your transcripts in 3 weeks before, get your LOR on interfolio before AMCAS opens. Finish Secondaries as soon as you get them and send them off quickly. Just be real organized and try to be complete at schools mid-late July.

I think its possible to afford it if you take some cost cutting measures and learn to invest intelligently some of the money banks/OSAP gives you.

Furthermore, I hear some rumors about financial aid for Canadians in 2nd year (I'm not sure how much truth there is to this).

At SUNY Upstate, I believe you pay instate tuition after the 1st year if you show you've been living in Syracuse for a year. So Upstate I think will be significantly cheaper.

I'm only reminding the OP to take a serious look at the finances before sinking their teeth into the tedious AMCAS process.

JourneyMan, if you have any specific suggestions regarding cost cutting and which types of high yield low risk investments guaranteed to give a better return than the interest charged on loans, everyone would love to hear about them!

PS: when I interviewed at Upstate, I was about 99% sure as a Canadian you'll never qualify for instate tuition. As for Wayne....unless someone currently attending there says otherwise, I don't think anyone should expect financial aid from them.

I was planning to apply for CanHelp, on their website it says they give the whole cost of attendance if someone from America is willing to co-sign for you. So I was planning to ask my cousin to co-sign my CanHelp application.:D

Journey Man: How can I submit LOR through interfolio when application is not out yet.

Can u please explain how I can do that.

Do I need to make an interfolio acc myself and ask my professors to give me LORs so that I can upload it for them OR should I ask my professors to make their own accs.:confused:

Journey Man: How can I submit LOR through interfolio when application is not out yet.

Do I need to make an interfolio acc myself and ask my professors to give me LORs so that I can upload it for them OR should I ask my professors to make their own accs.:confused:

You open your own account, give the profs the barcode that you have printed from the website, and they send it in directly to interforlio and the letter is then added to your account.

Interfolio is completely separate from the AMCAS application service. Interfolio is the internet based company that accept confidential documents. You can get your referees to mail or upload directly via internet your LOR (as long as the electronic document has their signature on it)

You have to create an account and I think its pretty cheap to do it. So you get all your LOR sent to Interfolio and from there, you can send it out to all the schools you get secondaries from and/or AMCAS. If you're applying for the next cycle, I advise you to get an account and get your referees to send their documents NOW. Do not wait because referees can sometimes get lazy and forget.

Professors will upload it themselves or mail it directly to Interfolio. There are instructions on the website on how to do this.

Hope this helps

I'm only reminding the OP to take a serious look at the finances before sinking their teeth into the tedious AMCAS process.

JourneyMan, if you have any specific suggestions regarding cost cutting and which types of high yield low risk investments guaranteed to give a better return than the interest charged on loans, everyone would love to hear about them!

PS: when I interviewed at Upstate, I was about 99% sure as a Canadian you'll never qualify for instate tuition. As for Wayne....unless someone currently attending there says otherwise, I don't think anyone should expect financial aid from them.

The only suggestion I can give is to get education on financial matters from a number of sources, and continue learning from now until you are a millionaire.

In terms of high yield, low risk - there are not many investments that exist like that. Usually the higher the yield, the higher the risk. The only investment that I can think of that MAY be of interest to you is purchasing real estate, but it has a lot of drawbacks as well.

real estate is often region specific, but currently where I live and in Windsor-Detroit, its not so good. Thus, its completely a buyers market. If you buy something real cheap (like on power of sale), and rent it out for a few years, you may gain quite a bit of profit if/once the market picks up. Again, you have to really educate yourself to get a good grip on these things and have some people you trust to find a good deal. My parents have a lot of experience in real estate, so i feel most comfortable going into real estate for now, however I hope to pursue other things after I fully learn more about them.

If you are willing to live pretty cheaply, another example could be if you can get some money as a research assistant in medical school + parents donation monthly, minus your living expenses and whatever you have left over you can invest in small company stocks (penny stocks). They have the most potential to increase their value substantially, but at the same time have the most potential to plummet.

Again, these are just examples, but the I think the best way is to get some good books, find some trustworthy people and take the time to learn.

I was planning to apply for CanHelp, on their website it says they give the whole cost of attendance if someone from America is willing to co-sign for you. So I was planning to ask my cousin to co-sign my CanHelp application.:D

Hi NiV,

Make sure you take the time and calculate how much you'll be paying back after four years with CanHELP. Also factor in how much you'll be making as a PGY when you need to start repaying the loans + the cost of living etc. I've looked over CanHELP's website before and they offer expensive loans with high interest rates.

I thought CanHelp did not exist anymore because of the credit crunch?

"Formerly, we offered the CanHelp loan, which was available with a Canadian co-signer; however, as of April 18, 2008 the CanHelp loan has been discontinued and is no longer available. Instead of the CanHelp, Canadian students can now apply for a Canadian Student Loan for study in the USA."

internationalstudentloan.com

Hi Kenneth:

Thanks for the warning. I am open to suggestions do u recommend some other institute for borrowing money? I looked at their website they dont specify any information about wht the interest rate will be like It just says that it will depend on the financial standing of the cosigner and my cousin is a doctor so I hope the interest rate will be pretty good shouldnt it be. Wht do u think about that.

Kalia: internationalstudentloan.com is same as CanHelp just with a change in name. One major difference u now require an American cosigner not like before where they give loan without any questions.

I guess recession teaches everyone something :) like to me not to go for a research job in a private firm.

Hey guys,

My friend can get through 2 years at a US school with his own cash...but he wants to try for an LOC (line of credit) from a bank after that. He has no cosigner so he was wondering if since he'll be done 2 years, it's possible to get an LOC without a cosigner?

Zuck

Archived