Premed 101 Forums

Taking notes during MMI

Does anyone know if you can jot a few brief points down on a notepad during the 2 mins you have to think about the scenario? Also, can you refer to these notes during the interview? I've read that you can take more than 2 mins to think about complex situations, and this may be to your advantage, rather than having awkward silence at the end of say 6 of 8 mins when you run out of things to say.

Has anyone referred to their brief notes once in the room at McMaster? Is this looked down upon? Thanks

There will be a buzzer after the 8 mins is complete. At that point, you must leave the room and prepare for your next station. Don't worry though, 8 minutes is plenty of time to answer a question thoroughly and completely.

I tend to ramble so hopefully I'll get everything of substance out within the alloted time.

I tend to ramble so hopefully I'll get everything of substance out within the alloted time.

I'm not interviewing at Mac, but I do know people who have and some people involved in the interview process, so I'll give you some general advice I've heard from them. Don't take the eight minute time limit as a luxury to ramble. I've heard that this kills many people's scores. It would be much better to take a good moment at the start and during your respones (if needed) to think through your answer so far than to ramble and hope to touch on some key detail.

Again, just what I've heard.

I'd like to ask whether it's to our disadvantage not to fill in the full 8 minutes. I've now done two MMIs, and in both, I haven't been able to fill up the whole 8 mins in any but two stations, and I've usually been prompted with a few questions. I don't know whether that's ok?!

michael777, question is; how do you know if you've covered the essential points?

I really have trouble sustaining an argument for 8 minutes...any suggestions?

Based on the question, formulate all the things that you think would be essential for your argument and then say them. If you finish early, then further questions may be asked to keep the dialogue going.

As far as the questions that were asked during my Mac interview, I can't see any of them been remotely close to demand a 8 min answer. Plus, I don't know if it is to your advantage to even drag an answer that long, since people keep saying how your audiences tend to loose focus and forget what you have talked about a couple minutes into the conversation on a given topic.

Hey

I was wondering if they have the question inside the room as well. You may have your main ideas to talk about, but may need to be reminded about it as you talk. Do you know if they have a copy of the question in the room as well?

Yes, you do have a copy of the exact sheet posted on the door available in front of you in the room :)

• 1 month later...
....... Don't take the eight minute time limit as a luxury to ramble. I've heard that this kills many people's scores. It would be much better to take a good moment at the start and during your respones (if needed) to think through your answer so far than to ramble and hope to touch on some key detail.

I believe this to be excellent advice.:)

I can only imagine rambling to be the kiss of death. We need to be professional, concise, on point. This is required by a physician. Rambling not only shows inability to answer on point properly, but may also tend to show lack of understanding, lack of fucus, lack of good communication skills.:(

I cannot see why multiple prompt questions would be considered a disadvantagous in scoring. We are on a level playing field and they want to give us all the opportunity to focus and answer the question fully.

Are you hurting your score if the interviewer asks you multiple prompt questions?

No.

In all honestly, don't fret too much about the logistics of the whole thing. The interviewer literally walks in in the morning, gets his/her assignment, and then proceeds to interview the first student. Afterward, they have two minutes to fill out your assessment - which consists of three scales. =P I doubt they're going to be thinking too much about how long you talked for in one breath. It's more the overall impression you want to generate.

From personal experiences, interviewers DO have several points they want to you cover, and will prompt you or cut you off as appropriate to help direct you. They even have a list of follow-up questions given to them so they can help you out as needed. =)

For more information, here is McMaster's "Manual For Interviewers" found on their website. It will give you precisely how the interviewer will conduct the interview, and how they will assess you --> http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Manual_for_Interviewers_2006.pdf

Archived