Premed 101 Forums

Wished you had studied something a little more?

JTG

Hi,

Just wondering if people who have had some interviews had specific topics that they wish they would have studied or brushed up on a little bit more.

I have interviews at Northern (MMI) and Ottawa (traditional)

Thanks

The book _Brag_ by Peggy Klaus might be a worthwhile read.. Interviews can be fun - when else will you have people wanting to hear all about you and your experiences (and for almost an hour, taking notes to boot!)

But back to the original topic - why medicine and why this particular school are also questions that should not be ad libbed as motivation is a key quality assessed.

Im dreading that question. Not only do I think I'm a dull person, I don't like to blow my own horn. I really need to inflate my ego enough to talk about myself.

That is exactly how I feel, just practice a bit and focus on facts (like I went to schools in x institution with a major of x, I worked at x for x years with x experiences, I volunteered at x for x years, and then throw in a bit of personality with I liked this part of each experience you say and maybe hobbies or something). I don't know if it is a good approach but that is what I did in interviews.

Good luck

haha in my first mock I did tell me about yourself on the fly and it was disastrous.

I then laid out a frame work

discuss my academic path.

Mention 4 or 5 big influences in my life

Mention a few hobbies outside of academia

and sort of tie all together at the end with a couple strengths I had gained from all the different things I was talking about rather than just leave it as a list.

This question went SOOOO much better once I had some direction.

Archived