Premed 101 Forums

Questionable English Course

I'm applying for the AMCAS 2010 cycle and right now I have one English course complete as well as a course in critical thinking put on by the philosophy department. Do you think schools requiring 1 year of english will accept that critical thinking class as an acceptable 2nd english credit?

I know I can e-mail all schools that I plan to apply to find out first-hand what the answer is, but I tried this last year over the phone and the answers they provided were not very definite.

pre-requisites are the last of your worries I say at the moment as long as you took some courses that somewhat resemble what their requirements are. This is especially true for the English/Humanity requirements. For the course you mentioned, if you got accepted, I'm sure the school will counted it as an English credit.

I agree, just apply. Then once you're accepted e-mail them (they'll be a lot more helpful once you have a spot in the class). If it's a problem, you can take an easy half day summer school class for a month before you matriculate.

As long as your grade in that course was based more on your writing and ability to interprate philosophical literature (as opposed to knowledge of the subject matter itself), it should be fine.

They don't even look for your prereqs until after you've been accepted. If you're asked to list your English courses in a secondary, either say that you're planning on taking one in the future, or if the school is flexible, list the philosophy class.

Archived