Premed 101 Forums

Rural contracts to pay tuition

Hey guys,

Just wondering, does anyone know of any rural contracts to pay medical school tuition? With the rising debt, I've heard many students sign contracts in rural areas to pay their whole tuition in exchange for a few years of service. I'm very interested in this.

Do you guys know if it's possible to sign such a contract for Canadian rural areas before finishing med school even if one is attending med school outside Canada?

Zuck

Well, I think it might be possible. I think these communities recruit students in their last year of med school though. There was a community in Manitoba that paid the tuition for a few students that attended Trinity Medicine in Ireland. This was in the papers last year. I'm really thinking of looking into rural contracts since it was decrease my loans (and stress!) and also rural medicine is something I'm very keen on as well!

Check this link out:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/01/14/irish-doctors.html

Truthfully, nearly any Northern and rural community will pony up a huge signing bonus and amazing relocation package that will allow you pay down your loans in just a few years. Doing five years after graduation will take care of everything. Hell, our GPs are making half a million a year in my town.

Archived