Premed 101 Forums

examkrackers purchase

MedSchoolAhoy

Honestly, as someone who has all that stuff I don't recommend it. The physics is really lacking, the explanations are difficult and I think with waves in particular they go beyond what is necessary but most of the book its the opposite. The chemistry is alright but I prefer TPR Hyperlearning (which you can get on the secondary market for 100 or so bucks).

From EK I would get:

1001 Biology Question

101 Verbal passages [A MUST]

Their Biology Review

and 1001 on whichever subject you feel weakest

The mini MCAT's are harder than the actual MCAT I find.

Anyway you can get everything from Amazon. However, EK 1001 Biology is out of print. I don't think they have any intention of reprinting until next year? Or maybe they won't change the version until next year. In any case, there will be price gouging on this.

I HIGHLY recommend combined sources on this one, and I should re-iterate I found physical sciences pretty useless by EK (chem is workable however).

I have both sets and I did my science degree about 8 yrs ago. For someone like myself, Ek is pretty terrible. I had high hopes when I heard they were effecient but there's no way I could pull it off without TPR - they are pretty good so I agree with everything you said. I just wanted to ask you about biology as it seems that's the one subject you think Ek is good at (from your above recco). Would I be better of doing Ek for bio as opposed to TPR?

thanks

sv

I have both sets and I did my science degree about 8 yrs ago. For someone like myself, Ek is pretty terrible. I had high hopes when I heard they were effecient but there's no way I could pull it off without TPR - they are pretty good so I agree with everything you said. I just wanted to ask you about biology as it seems that's the one subject you think Ek is good at (from your above recco). Would I be better of doing Ek for bio as opposed to TPR?

thanks

sv

Use EK for the skeleton structure then use TPR to fill in the details (take notes on EK since those are the bare essentials) then read TPR to get a better understanding if you were lacking one...Make sure to use TPR for biochemistry/genetics section (take notes on these) because EK has appalling coverage of those areas. Go to the AAMC to get a detailed list of what you'll be tested on. EK covers most of that list but its very minimalistic.

I am suggesting that strategy because TPR is simply too big and contains fluff that won't you see 400+ pages vs. 180 (max b/c in lecture quizes) lol. You get the bigger picture with EK where TPR can lose you in the details.

but if you study hard (and sounds like you got the time) it can be done. I did my degree 8 yrs ago so I'm almost in the same boat (some people say it comes back to you........not so much). I wouldn't recco Ek though. I have both and like TPR much more. Having two sources doesn't hurt though and the Ek set brand new is about $125. You can buy TPR hyperlearning used off this site.

8 years is way too long, that's like re-starting but still, she still needs the pre-reqs right so you might as well pick them off en passant prior to wasting time and money on the MCAT (time being way more expensive). You can try it out, it's up to you. You can take a look at the MCAT (http://www.e-mcat.com) to see if you're up for it or just look at an MCAT prep book in a library. If you decide to do it, get TPR/Kaplan course materials. I don't know what it is like to study without a background but EK certainly won't do outside of bio and verbal for someone with no background. Science is a stepwise process but 4 months is a long time...depending on how easy you absorb, understand, and integrate material your mileage may vary considerably lol. Good luck.

Years to do science courses? What year/grade are you in?

hah i know. I've been my own butt ever since i started studying for not writing this monster back in the day. It's not terrible but Orgo has been a real pain.

True......I don't her situation so hard to comment really. If she has to do all the pre reqs or intends to, why not wait right......good call octavius

hah i know. I've been my own butt ever since i started studying for not writing this monster back in the day. It's not terrible but Orgo has been a real pain.

True......I don't her situation so hard to comment really. If she has to do all the pre reqs or intends to, why not wait right......good call octavius

Yeah I regret not writing it earlier too but I had coop all that time. And last year I felt a trip to Europe was more important.

The problem with "which is best" discussions is that it is entirely up to you. If you are only looking at the material in a single prep book, you might miss something else if you are just going by memorization. If you are trying to understand everything, you probably go above and beyond any individual book though. If you pay attention to the detail for understanding, but then back off for pure memorization it really doesn't matter what program you follow. People have scored 30+ with EKs. They have also scored 30+ with TPR. And shockingly, people have scored 30+ without any prep material at all.

Get all the AAMC practice tests as well. 1001 BIOL is good to but optional.

Is there some other place where I can buy the practice tests besides at aamc? Or is $35 per practice test a reasonable price? I see that buying all the practice tets would be more expensive then the mcat prep material :eek:

Hey, maybe I shouldn't post this here...but seeing as we're discussing AAMC practice tests, I've done all of them last summer through TPR course. Soo, I'm kind of bummed b/c I'm pretty sure some of these q's will be familiar to me when I re-prep for my MCAT.

What should I do? Suck it up?? AHah. Or, are there some other resources that I can use? What's this 16 mini-mcat thing that people are talking about? I'm assuming mini-mcat means not a full-length dealy-o?

You can...but wouldn't you want a source that is most similar to what you are taking? Also a diagnostic tool that would give you your exact mark? Standardized tests are designed to fit you within a curve based on the questions asked. Most people score within the AAMC practice test range.

Also from what I've experienced the actually knowledge required is fairly basic (you still have to know A LARGE QUANTITY of basics) and developing an instinct of how to answer these questions are paramount. You'll find the practice test prices comparable in any case (except GS being 15 bucks per test). Writing the MCAT a second or third time is going to run you 250 CAD anyway. It's up to you. In the grand scheme $200 is a drop in the ocean.

I mean if you really want to save money you can illegally purchase someone's account, or you can download full length tests from other prep companies or buy them second hand. I'm not going to advocate illegal breach of copyright though. I haven't really seen other company's tests to compare to AAMC though. From what I have read Gold Standard is comparable as well as Berkeley Review in terms of difficulty but you won't get an accurate curve score (how do you get more official than AAMC) to assess your position. Even then, it's still going to run you a few hundred. You're better off with the AAMCs for an accurate predictor.

I personally don't like the 16 mini-mcats but I'm by no means an authority figure on this stuff lol. I found them more difficult than what you would actually find. I hardly use the book.

AAMC tests last a year, TBR 45 days, not sure about Gold Standard. Kaplans are yours to keep obviously as are TPR if you sign up for their course. Oh yeah, TPR will give you AAMC's if you enroll in their course.

Archived