Premed 101 Forums

Competitive stats

Generally, to be competitive for dentistry you'll need:

-3.85 GPA or higher (OMSAS)

-20/30 or higher on every section of the DAT, unless you're applying for an Ontario school (UofT, UWO) or McGill (less importance is placed on carving at these schools - apparently people have gotten into UofT with 5/30)

As for competitive stats between medicine and dentistry. I've noticed that for both professional schools you'll need super grades and to score in the 90th percentile on the DAT or MCAT to have a good shot at an interview/acceptance but medical schools pay more attention to your extracurricular activities, volunteering positions and other life experiences. Also, some dental schools do not require you to provide references while, as far as I know, all medical schools require them.

Just do a quick search to get a better idea.

I guess it's basically the same for both: high GPA, good EC's, etc. But how come some people seem to imply that dental is easier than med?

Hey,

they might imply that simply because you'd only need to write a few exams to come back to Canada if you wish to go down south of the border to study Dentistry. Unlike Medical School, you don't necessarily have to do any residency unless you wanted to specialize further in some areas such as: perio, peds, or ortho, etc.

But, regardless, it should not be a motivating factor of 'what is easier' to get into. You know, anything is possible if your willing to try and try over again. Never give up. There's no point to switch from pre-Med to pre-Dent just because people imply its easier to get into.

Do what you like. That's all I gotta say.

McGill uses ECs too. If you don't have any to write about in your autobiographical sketch, good luck. Anyways, I think they are important to use in your answers to questions at any school. Also, I think I remember filling out a small on-line application for western with some ECs but I could be getting it mixed up with a different school. In any case, I think that it is completely untrue that you do not have to have ECs to get into dental school.

McGill uses ECs too. If you don't have any to write about in your autobiographical sketch, good luck. Anyways, I think they are important to use in your answers to questions at any school. Also, I think I remember filling out a small on-line application for western with some ECs but I could be getting it mixed up with a different school. In any case, I think that it is completely untrue that you do not have to have ECs to get into dental school.

UWO had a verrrry short section in the application to mention what you do with your time when you are not in school full time.. i.e. summer internships, research, volunteering.

the application didn't give any room to discussion ECs during the school year.. boooo

i think this section is more so a chance for people who have been out of school for a year or so to discuss what they have been working on..

Archived