Premed 101 Forums

How old is too old for MCAT prep materials?

XiL

I am planning on buying a set of 2001 or 2002 PRE-CBT prep. for about $50. (TPR) I also have some other books to study with such as EK.

It includes everything from the course. I want to use it mainly to highlight-crazy and write in it.

Lets just say, I need something in front of me and don't really care for how I abuse the books.

We know that most materials don't change between a few years, but due to the fact of the CBT, is 2001/2002 prep. sufficient at the price I will be getting it for and why do you think so?

The biggest change comes in the preamble at the beginning of a content review book. The old ones talk about the grueling 7 hour exam, the new ones talk about the CBT half-day exam.

If you are talking content review books, there really isn't a big difference. There is usually more material in the old review books because the tests were longer/had more content. However there is a change in some of the newer stuff like genetics. In that case, some of the pre-CBT stuff can be a little out of date. But the genetics is less or at most equal in intensity to the stuff you would find in a 1st year University Bio textbook. Physics hasn't changed. They add the odd topic, take out another, but in general it is the same. The basic concepts are really the testable material. Details rarely get tested unless is some of the major anatomy/physiology related stuff where you would need to know where things happen and why.

If you can get older material cheaper, do it. Just check to make sure that you cover everything on the AAMC lists and do the practice exams to make sure you are on topic.

Thanks for the reply. I think I am probably going to try to get the pre-cbt stuff because I am teaching myself most of the material as I go along with school.

It will be about 2 years til I write the MCAT so at that time I will buy the hyperlearning (2006+) for reassurance.

What do you think?

Thanks for the reply. I think I am probably going to try to get the pre-cbt stuff because I am teaching myself most of the material as I go along with school.

It will be about 2 years til I write the MCAT so at that time I will buy the hyperlearning (2006+) for reassurance.

What do you think?

If you're not using the pre-cbt stuff as a primary source, and will get some updated stuff when you actually start studying for the exam, that will be just fine. :)

I did, I kinda regret it, but I'll sell it off once again for the same price. I bought TPR 2004 and TPR 2009 and didn't notice much difference beyond less detail and larger size (not sure how that happened, less print per page). I didn't go through it in depth though. No new verbal passages added really...Ugh, waste of 100 getting the 2009s.

Archived