Premed 101 Forums

Coming Back

I have dual citizenship American/Canadian and recently have been thinking more and more about going to an American med school. My first choice is Canadian Med, but after two years of univerisity I fear my grades are a bit too lackluster (3.65 for first year, ~3.7/3.75 predicted for this year) for me to have a good chance getting to a school up here. My friends and family have been encouraging me to make use of my American citizenship and apply to schools south of the border, and I am reluctantly beginning to look into it. My main concern is getting back into Canada afterwards as a practicing doctor. I would prefer to do my residency in Canada- is this possible? As of right now I see myself in obstretics, but would it be easier if I were willing to go into a "less" competitive field- i.e., Family Medicine?

Thanks

I have dual citizenship American/Canadian and recently have been thinking more and more about going to an American med school. My first choice is Canadian Med, but after two years of univerisity I fear my grades are a bit too lackluster (3.65 for first year, ~3.7/3.75 predicted for this year) for me to have a good chance getting to a school up here. My friends and family have been encouraging me to make use of my American citizenship and apply to schools south of the border, and I am reluctantly beginning to look into it. My main concern is getting back into Canada afterwards as a practicing doctor. I would prefer to do my residency in Canada- is this possible? As of right now I see myself in obstretics, but would it be easier if I were willing to go into a "less" competitive field- i.e., Family Medicine?

Thanks

It is definitely doable.

Coming from an American school, you're NOT considered an IMG for residency - thus you can compete in the 1st round of Canadian residency matching.

Additionally, legislation was just passed (I think specifically in Ontario) that you can come back to Ontario without much hassle if you did residency or worked in the US after residency. In the past, they would make you do an extra year of training or so, but now they have waived those requirements.

For example, you could do a 3-4 year Pathology residency, come back to Ontario and be a full time Pathologist without needing extra years (in Canada, Pathology residencies last 5 years).

Do consider American schools as they have great education and opportunities and you'll be able to apply to many schools because of your dual citizenship. You'll be more competitive than most Canadians because of that.

So the reason why it is easier to get back to Canada is because US grads are NOT IMGs? If you goto Carib, even though it is US accreditted, you are an IMG though?

I am Canadian and want to come back to Ontario to do family med. Is US the best way to accomplish this? Why this route over Aus or Carib?

So the reason why it is easier to get back to Canada is because US grads are NOT IMGs?

Yes

If you goto Carib, even though it is US accreditted, you are an IMG though?

Yes

I am Canadian and want to come back to Ontario to do family med. Is US the best way to accomplish this?

Yes

Why this route over Aus or Carib?

See above...:D

It is definitely doable.

Coming from an American school, you're NOT considered an IMG for residency - thus you can compete in the 1st round of Canadian residency matching.

Additionally, legislation was just passed (I think specifically in Ontario) that you can come back to Ontario without much hassle if you did residency or worked in the US after residency. In the past, they would make you do an extra year of training or so, but now they have waived those requirements.

For example, you could do a 3-4 year Pathology residency, come back to Ontario and be a full time Pathologist without needing extra years (in Canada, Pathology residencies last 5 years).

Do consider American schools as they have great education and opportunities and you'll be able to apply to many schools because of your dual citizenship. You'll be more competitive than most Canadians because of that.

You've made my day. Thanks!

Archived