Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Textbooks

MEDprospect

Keep the inorganic chemistry. You won't need math for MCAT and the prep courses will have bio, you can get a prep book for 30-60 bucks that's specifically geared towards the MCAT lol. I kinda wish I liquidated all my ****, I never had to refer back to my UG textbooks while studying.

If you need the cash...sell them. Most universities keep a textbook or two on 2-hour reserve in their libraries for all of the major courses.

A big benefit of your University textbooks is the problem sets at the end of chapters. In a lot of cases the problems are too involved for the MCAT (ex. require a calculator or use complex equations) but you can often solve these problems using the basic equations...it just takes longer. Rounding numbers and approximating answers really boosts the material you have to study from and the definitions of concepts are far better in any textbook than a prep book that just tries to give you as much of a content overview as they can.

If you need the cash...sell them. Most universities keep a textbook or two on 2-hour reserve in their libraries for all of the major courses.

A big benefit of your University textbooks is the problem sets at the end of chapters. In a lot of cases the problems are too involved for the MCAT (ex. require a calculator or use complex equations) but you can often solve these problems using the basic equations...it just takes longer. Rounding numbers and approximating answers really boosts the material you have to study from and the definitions of concepts are far better in any textbook than a prep book that just tries to give you as much of a content overview as they can.

sell everything! you won't need a thing for the MCAT. there's enough material on the internet if you ever get stuck (which you probably wont).

Archived