Premed 101 Forums

mcgill dentistry

Does anyone know the stats for McGill dentistry?

The only thing I could find on the site is that a GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale is considered competitive. This seems a bit off to me.

Also, I heard that McGill gives a large preference for its own students... Does anyone know how many acceptances they send out, and how many of them are for out of province?

GPA average: 3.8

EC very important, they take mature applicants that's for sure since the interview is 40% of the application. Many come with master's and everybody has a bachelor's except dent-p students from Quebec CEGEPs.

10 IP, 10 OOP, 10 CEGEP roughly.

those are very slim odds. I wish they would accept more OOP, we have a few on these boards Dr.Chill you being one of them correct?

With the cost of tuition and a city like Montreal, I think it would be a top choice for sure.

I think they're great odds, considering nearly one third are OOP!

McGill would be a great school and the hospitality there was amazing - it was my second choice :)

M

Yeah that's right great odds for OOP, 33%. Actually it's one of the points that McGill brags about, they even mentioned it in their interview day presentation that we take in the highest number of OOP/international among all CAN dent schools. Even a few of the 10 IP spots are in fact filled with Quebec born or applicants having a Quebec resident parent who actually never have studied in Quebec before. They're who spread the McGill reputation making it so reputable all over the world.

Let's compare it with max 10% OOP rule with UofT, UBC and western having 4/54 which is a ~ 7% chance.

those are amazing odds actually, compared to all the other oop acceptances in other provinces.

I remember someone telling me a while ago that mcgill gave a large preference to their undergrad students, but if these stats are correct, then that is not the case.

thats a small class though, 30 students?

Yeah that's right great odds for OOP, 33%. Actually it's one of the points that McGill brags about, they even mentioned it in their interview day presentation that we take in the highest number of OOP/international among all CAN dent schools. Even a few of the 10 IP spots are in fact filled with Quebec born or applicants having a Quebec resident parent who actually never have studied in Quebec before. They're who spread the McGill reputation making it so reputable all over the world.

Let's compare it with max 10% OOP rule with UofT, UBC and western having 4/54 which is a ~ 7% chance.

This is true. I was kind of resentful too, given that I'm a Quebec student and they were offering out just as many spots to OOPs. Figured there'd be some type of preference for us.

From what I know so far, of the actual people that got in within the IP cohort, maybe 5-6 are people from here and that studied here? Lots of people have Quebec residency but aren't really from here.

no, next year they will be going back to 10 OOP students. it's just that last year, they let in 13 OOP b/c the CEGEP students apparently just weren't up to par. (but they interviewed less this year, so the odds worked out to be about the same). McGill is amazing. It's hard to believe they let in 33% of their class, whereas last year UofA didn't let in even ONE OOP. talk about destroying your national/international reputation

no, next year they will be going back to 10 OOP students. it's just that last year, they let in 13 OOP b/c the CEGEP students apparently just weren't up to par. (but they interviewed less this year, so the odds worked out to be about the same). McGill is amazing. It's hard to believe they let in 33% of their class, whereas last year UofA didn't let in even ONE OOP. talk about destroying your national/international reputation

How, in any way, does letting in 1, 2, 3 or 4 fewer OOP students to a professional program "destroy" national (let alone international) reputation? That is absurd, no rational person thinks this way outside of the little self-entitled pre-dental student box you've created for yourself. I've probably offended a ton of you, so I'll stop now.

How, in any way, does letting in 1, 2, 3 or 4 fewer OOP students to a professional program "destroy" national (let alone international) reputation? That is absurd, no rational person thinks this way outside of the little self-entitled pre-dental student box you've created for yourself. I've probably offended a ton of you, so I'll stop now.

i agree...

although IP students SHOULD be preferred (FINALLY UBC!!), there is no reason that OOP students should harm the reputation.

in fact, i think GPA is a load of ****. Just cuz your GPA is really good, does that mean you'll be an outstanding dentist?

I know a few people who have excellent GPA's, but they have no integrity and no morals at all. I pity the future patients of these people.

I think dental schools should look at what you're majoring in and the courses you're taking and take consideration from there. Too many people are in General Science or Arts and taking GPA fillers to boost their GPAs.

ignoring the arrogance of your statement, I was only pointing out that taking NO OOP (not just 1, 2, 3, etc) only allows you to take people from your own province. there ARE more qualified people in Canada, believe it or not. and taking nobody from outside your province makes you no better than a community college. diversity is so important.

IP students are preferred. Only ~10 of the 35 are OOP.

I also don't get what you're trying to say in your post. Noone ever said OOP students harm a school's rep. And what does GPA have anything to do with residency?

i agree...

although IP students SHOULD be preferred (FINALLY UBC!!), there is no reason that OOP students should harm the reputation.

in fact, i think GPA is a load of ****. Just cuz your GPA is really good, does that mean you'll be an outstanding dentist?

I know a few people who have excellent GPA's, but they have no integrity and no morals at all. I pity the future patients of these people.

I think dental schools should look at what you're majoring in and the courses you're taking and take consideration from there. Too many people are in General Science or Arts and taking GPA fillers to boost their GPAs.

ignoring the arrogance of your statement, I was only pointing out that taking NO OOP (not just 1, 2, 3, etc) only allows you to take people from your own province. there ARE more qualified people in Canada, believe it or not. and taking nobody from outside your province makes you no better than a community college. diversity is so important.

Serving your community is also important. And generally, that's the main reason why schools don't want to take OOP: the government funding is for those students that are IP, because those are the students that will become professionals and serve in that area/province.

By your arguement, you are saying that we should open up our dental schools to International students, and have people from South Africa, and Denmark take all our seats (because clearly diversity is so important and clearly there are more qualified people in the world "believe it or not").

On the note of diversity: diversity is far more important in terms of values and ethnicity compared to which Province from Canada you were born in.

True dat... because of the reason's Contach mentioned, schools tend to have limited seats for OOP applicants. However, I think McGill is a school that chooses to accept a few more because of the fact that there are two more (I think) D-schools in Quebec that train local students.

Serving your community is also important. And generally, that's the main reason why schools don't want to take OOP: the government funding is for those students that are IP, because those are the students that will become professionals and serve in that area/province.

By your arguement, you are saying that we should open up our dental schools to International students, and have people from South Africa, and Denmark take all our seats (because clearly diversity is so important and clearly there are more qualified people in the world "believe it or not").

On the note of diversity: diversity is far more important in terms of values and ethnicity compared to which Province from Canada you were born in.

True dat... because of the reason's Contach mentioned, schools tend to have limited seats for OOP applicants. However, I think McGill is a school that chooses to accept a few more because of the fact that there are two more (I think) D-schools in Quebec that train local students.

I was going to make that point - but, I'm not sure what those class sizes are like, they could be 10-15 per school for all I know...

I was going to make that point - but, I'm not sure what those class sizes are like, they could be 10-15 per school for all I know...

pretty sure its higher than just 10-15 for class sizes.

University of Montreal has about ~80 spots (about half of them being for those from cegeps). They take probably 2-5 OOP...but you must be a french-speaker.

No clue about class-size at Laval --> they take OOP as well

No clue about Sherbrooke --> do not take OOP

pretty sure its higher than just 10-15 for class sizes.

University of Montreal has about ~80 spots (about half of them being for those from cegeps). They take probably 2-5 OOP...but you must be a french-speaker.

No clue about class-size at Laval --> they take OOP as well

No clue about Sherbrooke --> do not take OOP

There must be a problem with oversaturation of dentists in Quebec.. no?

all of Ontario has only about 110 spots, and the population of Ontario is much greater than Quebec.

There must be a problem with oversaturation of dentists in Quebec.. no?

all of Ontario has only about 110 spots, and the population of Ontario is much greater than Quebec.

hmm....check out slide 17 --> http://www.cda-adc.ca/_files/dental_profession/students/practice/pdp17_cda_resource_centre.pdf

There's a dentist-to-population ratio of about ~52dentists per 100,000 people in Quebec as opposed to ~58 dentists per 100,000 people in Ontario

But there's so many factors that should be considered if we're talking about this issue:

-Not everybody goes to the dentist or feels the need to....so what defines "oversaturation" or "undersaturation"?

-Do dentists from quebec move to Ontario or other provinces?

By your argument, you are saying that we should open up our dental schools to International students, and have people from South Africa, and Denmark take all our seats (because clearly diversity is so important and clearly there are more qualified people in the world "believe it or not").

I agree with Contach. Taking people from different provinces of Canada does not have as much merit of increasing the diversity as does ethnicity and personality. OOP seats are limited, thats usually the way it goes.

In regards to saturation...at the UBC open house, they said that the patient to dentist ratio that is considered "healthy" is 2200:1. By my calculations, 52 dentists per 100 000 is about 2000:1 which is a pretty decent ratio. Which is surprising considering the number of Quebec spots. On the other hand, Toronto is "saturated." It's ratio is 800:1. At least from what they said at the open house. The overall Ontario ratio seems fine though.

Archived