Premed 101 Forums

EDP (Early Decision Program Ya'll)

I look into this and it says there's a bunch of school that do it--like 91? But some are restricted only to in-state and you must be sure you want to go to that school, and you must also have the stats for it.

And it's something like, you can only apply to one school before August if you wanna do this?

So far what I make from this is thattt... it sucks?

Because looking at past threads, you can realistically only apply to American Meds after 3rd year, which means for the EDP, you'd have to apply fourth year, only to one american school, at an early time, and then wait, and be rejected and pushed to august as a regular applicant everywhere.

Questions:

1. Can we apply to EDP in third year Undergrad?

2. If yes, is there a fair chance that Canadians can get accepted?

3. But even if Canadians can get accepted fairly, is it a risk as if you get rejected, American Meds have a stigma against you next time you apply?

4. Is it a good idea to apply to EDP in fourth year then? (Is this is a stupid question? haha)

5. When they say you can't apply anywhere else if you apply for EDP, this means you can't apply to Canadian schools either if you apply to EDP?

6. Who's your favourite power ranger?

I've thought about this option and my personal conclusion is that yes it sucks. The only upside is that if you're accepted, you know by october. Other than that it can SERIOUSLY backfire. Without killer stats, EDP at even a low/mid-tier school carries the risk of rejection, which then forces you to apply late to a bunch of other schools. However, if your stats are killer and you're 100% sure you want to go to that school than I say go for it.

EDP is a bad call OP. The only reason it is there is to mitigate the disadvantage students that have no real option experience.

It is basically made for people that CAN'T go anywhere else, so for examlpe your mother is ill and you need to take care of your brothers and sisters, you go EDP for the state school down the street so you can stay home.

It pretty much makes you put all your eggs in one basket for the sole purpose of hearing back by october 1st, but if you just apply early you can hear back as early as end of october/october 15th.

It also isn't easier, in fact you have to be slightly stronger of an applicant because they are basically giving you a spot before they see the competition. It is like going plasma screen shopping and buying the first one you see, if you aren't an idiot, that first one better be a damn good deal to make you stop your search there.

EDP is a bad call OP. The only reason it is there is to mitigate the disadvantage students that have no real option experience.

It is basically made for people that CAN'T go anywhere else, so for examlpe your mother is ill and you need to take care of your brothers and sisters, you go EDP for the state school down the street so you can stay home.

It pretty much makes you put all your eggs in one basket for the sole purpose of hearing back by october 1st, but if you just apply early you can hear back as early as end of october/october 15th.

It also isn't easier, in fact you have to be slightly stronger of an applicant because they are basically giving you a spot before they see the competition. It is like going plasma screen shopping and buying the first one you see, if you aren't an idiot, that first one better be a damn good deal to make you stop your search there.

That analogy was pretty good, heh.

See, I was looking at this way: Why not apply to your first choice school in the US during 3rd year (with a pretty strong app) as an EDP? I mean, this is if you're certain you want to go there, so what's the harm in going for it? Because if you don't get in, you have 4th year to apply broadly.

That leads me to wonder, nobody answered whether you can apply 3rd year to US.

By the way alastriss, hang in there. I don't even know if I'm in a position to provide encouragement, but your stats and work are definitely med-school acceptance worthy. It's inevitable, it'll happen soon man.

Archived