Premed 101 Forums

USMLE: just a damned simple question

Fact 1: one needs 2~3 mos+ of prep to do well the USMLE

Fact 2: one typically choose to do this in June, at the end of 2nd yr.

Conclusion 1: one starts prep in March/April, doing thousands of Qs, review books, 50hrs/wk of USMLE

Fact 3: preclinical semester typically ends in June, so still school works during March~June period

Conclusion 1+ Fact 3

===>

one has to study both USMLE AND school work at the same time, namely 7hrs USMLE prep/day + 5~6 hrs of school work

Questions

1- how can you do that?

2- why don't ppl just postpone their exam date to, say, end of summer (like September?) Can we do that? or does an exam on such date (Aug~Sep) exist?

Thnx

http://www.usmle.org/General_Information/bulletin/2008/applying.html

Scroll halfway down the page - when you apply, you are given a 3 month eligibility period. You then check which dates are available (dependent on the testing location and how many people have signed up already) within those 3 months on the Prometric website. The computer-based exams are year round except the first two weeks of January.

Conclusion 1+ Fact 3

===>

one has to study both USMLE AND school work at the same time, namely 7hrs USMLE prep/day + 5~6 hrs of school work

Uhh...the USMLE Step 1 tests what you learn in school, so really it's the same thing.

Thanks Lactic Folly n' a41!

I am now finishing my first year MD, and already learned patho, micro, neuro, hemato etc. But when I just just tried on some USMLE Qs in this subjets, I was like "WHAT!?!?" the questions are WAY beyond what I learned in terms of the details and comprehensiveness.

So is it normal for an almost 1st year graduate to get almost KILLED by the questions, even of the subj already covered by the curriculum? I mean, really getting almost KILLED.

Well, I did set aside 6 weeks after the end of 2nd year to study before taking the exam. You also need the right materials to help cover any differences between the US (i.e. geared towards USMLE) and Canadian curricula.. First Aid is a good start as it contains many factoids that are tested on the exam.

Where do you go that you're taking those classes in first year (not traditional curric obviously)...not in the US?

C'mon man, we're in C'nadian forum, so definately NOT in American med school:D

Plus, I am from UMontreal, which adopts Problem-Based Study (just for better understandings... kind of like the method of McMaster's... and of a French version)

However, during my PREMED year, we still took 2 anatomy and 1 physiology, not saying embryology, genetics etc... and now I am close to the end of the 1st year.

but does my university curric explains all? that I am doomed for the USMLE?:confused:

Well, I did set aside 6 weeks after the end of 2nd year to study before taking the exam. You also need the right materials to help cover any differences between the US (i.e. geared towards USMLE) and Canadian curricula.. First Aid is a good start as it contains many factoids that are tested on the exam.

thanks again Folly.

It is true that my U's (UdeMontreal) curricula are so diff from traditional med schools (USA, McGill, etc...)

That being said, had you ever tried on USMLE before your "reviewing session"?

I mean, like, end of 1st year etc.

No, I didn't try any questions that early.. perhaps looked at a couple of sample questions in the USMLE bulletin to get an idea of the exam format. It might be helpful to get a copy of First Aid and start reading that at the same time as you study for your schoolwork. Sample questions are more useful once you've studied at least a little bit. You are certainly not doomed just because your curriculum is different, if you are committed to writing the exam and give yourself enough time to prepare. By the end of 2nd year, I would have needed to review to remember anything I learned in 1st year anyway.

Just so you know, I'm finishing off my first year at an American school. The gunners in my class already started studying for Step 1 months ago. Lol.

holy crap, lol...

well - remember those people who started studying for the MCAT and preparing for intervies in 1st year? lol...I met a 1st year kid at the TPR centre who was doing interview prep...

to each their own though - the people starting to prep now must really want to kill it and get into a competitive specialty - if that's what it'll take, i'd do it too.

Lack of direction and planning is what did me in during undergrad...

Dude I have a story that tops all stories.

I know a guy who started preparing for the USMLE in 4th year. Before he heard back on may 15th.

LOL that's true,

Also, our venerable administrator, Ian Wong, did his USMLE-1, 2 even after graduation, and got an amazing score (according to what he said--- I trust him:) ) but that was because he didnt match up the first year...

I'd really appreciate some input from a41 or any other American med students...how would you feel about taking step 1 at the end of MS3?

I'm considering a school that's doing this...their rationale is that clinical experience will put the pre-clinical material into perspective. I'm thinking that med school is all memorization anyway, and that you'll definitely forget anything you might have retained after a year.

Archived