Premed 101 Forums

US applicant to U of T entering class 2010 ...HELP PLEASE

Hi everyone! Im dying to get into U of T Faculty of Dentistry. I will be applying this year!

I just wanted to hear (read) your opinions on how hard is it for an international student like me (I'll be receiving my bachelor's from the University of Florida this summer) to get in!

Any tips, info, etc! would be GREATLY appreciated! ;)

Have you heard of any US student being accepted so far this year? or in the past? About how many get in?

THANKS!

One of the previous threads sort of had your answer.

Last year, the number of enrolled students was 64. Of those students, 60 were from Ontario, and 4 from elsewhere. That includes other provinces. The odds are, there are usually only 1 or 2 students from the US that get accepted per year. It tough, but if I'm not mistaken, fewer students apply from the states, so the odds are low, but not ridiculously so.

That statement couldn't be more incorrect! Here is a statement that comes from the U of T webpage in the frequently asked questions section regarding the number of applications received:

Number of Applicants to the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS)

Each year we receive over 500 applications for the 64 positions available in the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS) each year.

We also receive approximately 20 international applications for the 11 positions available for international students each year.

That statement couldn't be more incorrect! Here is a statement that comes from the U of T webpage in the frequently asked questions section regarding the number of applications received:

Each year we receive over 500 applications for the 64 positions available in the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS) each year.

We also receive approximately 20 international applications for the 11 positions available for international students each year.

It's confusing how it is worded on their website, but I feel like the "international students" they are referring to are internationally trained dentists who need to get their license in Canada. It doesn't make sense that U of T would have more international spots than out-of-province.

Hi everyone! Im dying to get into U of T Faculty of Dentistry. I will be applying this year!

I just wanted to hear (read) your opinions on how hard is it for an international student like me (I'll be receiving my bachelor's from the University of Florida this summer) to get in!

Have you heard of any US student being accepted so far this year? or in the past? About how many get in?

THANKS!

Forgive my curiosity, but I'm wondering why you are so set on U of T, where you would pay international fees, rather than U of F, Nova, or other states where you could possibly declare state residency after first year?

Oh! Clearly I am incorrect, haha. So then what is that information that I saw?

THANKS!

Hey CKMonster,

I'm not sure how hard it is, but international students have a lower GPA cut off then the national students. We have one international student in my class and he's from the states. I'm not sure how many applied. Hope this helps.

U of T DDS 2012

And to add, there are 64-65 first years, all in the regular stream. (there are 66 of us this current year). IDAPPS are foreign trained dentists, and will take courses prior to joining the third years for the remaining two years.

Bone, who ARE you? :)

There is a total of 75 first years. 60 Ontario + 4 other province + 11 International (not internationally trained)

American = International

That's my understanding.

And it does make sense to have more international students. Think about Economics, just look at the tuition for an international student compared to a domestic. The school gets twice the amount from one international student than 1 domestic student.

Ooh I see.. I was thinking that the 11 international spots and the 4 out of province spots were out of the 60ish spots.. but what you said makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the info! :)

There are anywhere from 64-68 Members in the first year class period. This includes ALL members of the class, be it international or not. The class size DOES NOT exceed this limit for obvious reasons (funding!)

I suspect that the faculty has written the statement like that to cover some applicants who are from other countries or applicants who are from other countries who have grad from Canada.

The international Dental graduates who are looking to re-certify (about 30 of them) join the 3rd year class and skip the first two years, so they are not included.

As far as I can see from 1st and 2nd years, the trend shows that there are only 3-4 actual international people in the undergrad DDS program.

As for the original poster, to answer your question, yes we have students who grad from US get in, and to think of it, there is some 1 from 3rd year who is actually from the Florida/Miami region who is in the dental school.

Hope that helps.

edit: sorry bone and daryn - I didn't see your posts, the more the better I guess)

Forgive my curiosity, but I'm wondering why you are so set on U of T, where you would pay international fees, rather than U of F, Nova, or other states where you could possibly declare state residency after first year?

Good Question! LOL! Well! My BF lives in TO and we've been doing long distance for the past 4 yrs! And it sucks! I come often to TO and LOVE IT! So I wouldnt mind paying international tuition! Plus I've heard that the school is really good! Dont get me wrong is not like im filthy rich, is just that Im tired of Florida... I want a change.

I'm at UF right now and the school here is awesome but Ive been here for 4 yrs already and its enough of Gainesville! I cant wait to be outta here! ;)

I'm being realistic, I would love to go to U of T but is not the only place Im applying! If I get in somewhere here in the states before I hear from UofT Ill accept and then wait to hear from them, if they offer me a spot! Im there! :)

I just want to be a dentist! it doesnt matter where! It'll be nice that we could finally be together but we'll see!

THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING TO MY POST! YOU'VE BEEN VERY HELPFUL! :cool:

Archived