Premed 101 Forums

Advice on bad DAT scores

Okay so I got my results yesterday, after writing for the second time.

My DAT results are as follows for last Nov and this past Feb..

Eng: 18 Nov; 20 Feb

Bio: 18 Nov; 17 Feb

Chem: 20 Nov; 15 Feb

ST: 19 Nov; 16 Feb

AA: 19 Nov; 17 Feb

PAT: 18 Nov; 21 Feb

Carving 11 Nov; 22 Feb

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I know that these scores don't reflect my best abilities.. It appears that each time I write the DAT i focus too hard on some subjects that it hurts me in others.

Will American schools be more willing to accept me than canadian schools? I was interested in going to the states but with my latest DAT scores I don't think they'd accept me. Is there anyway to write the DAT in Nov and have the american schools look at that mark instead of my Feb results? How late would I have to do my application then? My GPA is currently a b+, but hopefully by the end of this semester an a-

I would re-write it. I personally think that your AA is too low. 19 is ok but 17 is too low.

Carving 11 Nov; 22 Feb

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I know that these scores don't reflect my best abilities.. It appears that each time I write the DAT i focus too hard on some subjects that it hurts me in others.

Will American schools be more willing to accept me than canadian schools? I was interested in going to the states but with my latest DAT scores I don't think they'd accept me. Is there anyway to write the DAT in Nov and have the american schools look at that mark instead of my Feb results? How late would I have to do my application then? My GPA is currently a b+, but hopefully by the end of this semester an a-

what would you consider "good" grades for each section to apply.. I've heard over 20? would you agree?

Granted that you have a decent GPA and you want to get into U of T or Western, aim for a 19 or 20 on your AA and PAT. I don't think carving matters all that much for the 2 schools mentioned above.

Carving 11 Nov; 22 Feb

One thing you might consider is that a LOT of schools (in both Canada and the States) look at your best DAT scores, not your most recent. I would think your first set of DAT scores with a decent GPA are good enough to get you into an American school. The majority of schools that I've seen in the states look at the "best" DAT score, and they really don't care about carving, so I would definitely consider applying with that set of scores! Although your second set of scores some are higher, your first set is the strongest (it is the most consistent) and there aren't the lower marks that could get flagged by some DAT minimum cutoffs.

Depending on the Canadian schools, if you are interested in schools that don't consider carving and look at your best DAT, then I can't see your first DAT scores holding you back.

You could always apply to American schools with your first set of DAT scores and re-write in November for Canadian schools.. just one option.

Depending on the Canadian schools, if you are interested in schools that don't consider carving and look at your best DAT, then I can't see your first DAT scores holding you back.

I agree completely. I guess you'll just have to decide whether you are flexible enough to consider a wide range of Canadian schools. For my purposes, the AA sections wasn't important for my application, but the carving, PAT, and RC were. Your marks are excellent, but if you are gunning for a strong AA, then you'll very likely have to write again. Congrats BTW!

Archived