Premed 101 Forums

Applying to the States

Hi guys

I was wondering if my list of US schools are ok? Any suggestions will be great.

1. University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry

2. Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry

3. New York University College of Dentistry

4. Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center School of Dental and Oral Surgery

5. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine

6. Boston University School of Dental Medicine

7. Temple University

8. Nova Southeastern University

9. University of Detroit Mercy

Canada

1. UofT

2. Western

My stats are (after 3rd year):

cGPA - 3.91

sGPA - 3.88

cAvg - 90.1%

cDAT: TS-19 AA-21 PAT-22 RC-25 Carving - 22

Still working on my personal statement and on getting LOR's, sort of late in the game so I'm pretty nervous about that.

Just my input.. your stats are really good (which is good lol) BUT in the states that will actually mean that some schools will NOT interview you. Why not? Because they are so expensive and they assume that if you have high stats, then you will get in elsewhere and will pick those schools. From my experience, I would think twice about applying to New York, Boston and Tufts.. these schools are notorious for rejecting people with high stats.

And you're definitely not "late in the game".. AADSAS doesn't even open until June 1... if you get your stuff in before mid-July then you are "early"! So don't worry about that.. more important to have a solid personal statement and LORs.

Good luck!

Just my input.. your stats are really good (which is good lol) BUT in the states that will actually mean that some schools will NOT interview you. Why not? Because they are so expensive and they assume that if you have high stats, then you will get in elsewhere and will pick those schools. From my experience, I would think twice about applying to New York, Boston and Tufts.. these schools are notorious for rejecting people with high stats.

And you're definitely not "late in the game".. AADSAS doesn't even open until June 1... if you get your stuff in before mid-July then you are "early"! So don't worry about that.. more important to have a solid personal statement and LORs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, now I'm sort of freaked out about applying since I really don't want to apply to the wrong schools. It's going to be almost $110-150 for each school, not including sending DATs and transcripts. Are there any other schools I should add or take out from my list?

Thanks for the suggestions, now I'm sort of freaked out about applying since I really don't want to apply to the wrong schools. It's going to be almost $110-150 for each school, not including sending DATs and transcripts. Are there any other schools I should add or take out from my list?

Hi Chaika,

I am also in similar situation as you as I have GPA 4.0 and don't want to waste money applying at wrong schools. After reading your post I am also freaked out but I am sure about applying to Case Western, Columbia, Pacific, IUPUI, Univ of Detroit. If you have Sociology credits Univ of Michigan is a good choice too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out! It's really just a money thing.. but if you wanted to apply there then it's just money that you're talking about. It's just.. even saving $110-150 will mean less money spent overall.. flights and hotel rooms for interviews that you do get add up! lol

I would replace one with/add University of the Pacific :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what is said above about the lower tier schools not inviting you for interviews. I would recommend not applying to the following schools if you have good stats: Temple, NYU, BU, Tufts, Pittsburgh.

Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out! It's really just a money thing.. but if you wanted to apply there then it's just money that you're talking about. It's just.. even saving $110-150 will mean less money spent overall.. flights and hotel rooms for interviews that you do get add up! lol

I would replace one with/add University of the Pacific :)

I've said this before, but I'm copying and pasting it again:

I'll give you one very big reason of why not to apply to American schools: the cost of tuition and attendance. I don't know if you've looked into it, but it is astronomically more expensive than Canadian schools. Consider if you can finance such an education before you apply. No, the US government and the school won't help you. You will need to find Canadian government aid (which is not nearly as robust as American aid) + LOC from banks, and then private loans or your parents. Look at the total prices of some of the american schools you are thinking of applying to. Also, the application costs are quite a bit, after the AADSAS fee, there are supplementary application fees for virtually every school, and with the exchange you end up spending 65-120$ / school in supplementary fees alone, then if you get invited for interviews, they will cost atleast 500$ for each if you need to fly there. Seriously consider whether you want to go to the USA before you apply. I made this mistake and don't want others to make the same one.

consider the following:

Estimated cost of attendance for 4 years at NYU and BU is 400k USD.

Estimated cost of attendance for 4 years at Buffalo University is 230K USD --> 300k CDN at 1.3 exchange rate (this is among the cheapest American schools for Canadians to attend).

hello......all

Common Application is created by an amalgam of universities that have agreed on a common application form. There are 298 member universities, including Harvard, Yale and recently CalTech. The same form (filled once) can be used for several universities, and thus is time-saving. The fact that prominent universities and less eminent ones have agreed on a common application leaves much to be fulfilled. Therefore, many universities have made 'Supplements' which are to be sent with the application...............thanks

hello......all

Common Application is created by an amalgam of universities that have agreed on a common application form. There are 298 member universities, including Harvard, Yale and recently CalTech. The same form (filled once) can be used for several universities, and thus is time-saving. The fact that prominent universities and less eminent ones have agreed on a common application leaves much to be fulfilled. Therefore, many universities have made 'Supplements' which are to be sent with the application...............thanks

enlightening..thanks for your input

Archived