Premed 101 Forums

Applying to the States

I was wondering if anyone has started coming up with lists of schools they want to apply to, especially in the States. I've come up with a tentative list and was hoping that those who have already been through the list could suggest some modifications (what schools to add/leave off). My gpa is

~3.7+/4.0 both science and overall. My DAT score was 24 RC, 21 BIO, 19 CHEM, 20 TS, 21 AA, 20 PAT, 16 CARVING. Here's the list:

University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry

Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry

University at Buffalo School of Dentistry

New York University College of Dentistry

Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center School of Dental and Oral Surgery

Tufts University School of Dental Medicine

Boston University School of Dental Medicine

University of Southern California School of Dentistry

University of the Pacific School of Dentistry

Temple University

Loma Linda University

Nova Southeastern University

University of Detroit Mercy

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry

UBC (in province)

UofT

McGill

Dalhousie

Manitoba

UofS

Western

Why should he apply to US if he has the stats for UBC?? Not that UBC is cheaper than US schools but it's in Canada at least if it matters.

I've never applied to dental school, but if it's anything like med school it's worth applying broadly, because you can never be sure you'll get in somewhere, even if you have "the stats". Sure it's expensive to apply to more schools, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry, and if you have the money and don't mind spending it to invest in your future, it's definitely worthwhile.

It's also weighed heavily by UofS and Manitoba - did you bother checking?

I checked the website. Saskatchewan looks at RC, AA, PAT, & carving (but there was a large carving range; I had assumed that since they emphasize 4 components, the 16 may not be so costly, but I do realize that the chance of this happening for OOP applicants is rather slim). With Manitoba, I guess you're right, I should probably not apply.

I was wondering if anyone has started coming up with lists of schools they want to apply to, especially in the States. I've come up with a tentative list and was hoping that those who have already been through the list could suggest some modifications (what schools to add/leave off). My gpa is

~3.7+/4.0 both science and overall. My DAT score was 24 RC, 21 BIO, 19 CHEM, 20 TS, 21 AA, 20 PAT, 16 CARVING. Here's the list:

Temple University

Loma Linda University

I wouldn't apply to Loma Linda unless you can get a LOR from a religious leader who knows you well - I believe it's a requirement (maybe worth checking). Also keep in mind that VCU is a public school which means that, as an international student, you would have less of a chance than at the private schools.

Temple University

Loma Linda University

UBC (in province)

UofT

McGill

Dalhousie

Manitoba

UofS

Western

I have almost similar stats as you. My GPA is 4.0 so far for any Canadian school (here they see your aggregate and its above 90%) but as AADSAS takes every individual course its reducing to 3.77. My DAT scores are AA 22, RC 20, Carving 15, PAT 16. But I am planning to take American DAT too in June end (I hope its not too late) and expecting to get much more as I gave Canadian DAT without any preparation. I had not even completed my first year then so still had lot of things that were unfamiliar in Chem and Bio. I am applying to following schools in USA

1. U of Penn

2. Columbia University

3. IUPUI ( I know its a state school but my family lives there so I prefer it)

4. University of Maryland

5. Case Western

6. Univ of Detroit Mercy

7. Pacific

8. Marquette

9. BU

10.NYU

11.Tufts

12.Nova

In Canada

1.Western (IP)

2. UFT(IP)

3.UBC

4.McGill.

Actually I am interesting in going for specializations after DDS (I know its too early to decide but this is what I am planning right now) so I want to make my choice based on my chances of getting specialization after DDS. Does anyone have any suggestion for which schools are good for getting specialization later.

For ssg8 : When are you applying to american schools?

What other schools do you plan on applying to?

Like Midwestern and Maryland. I'm not sure about some schools though (like Creighton or West Virginia) since they normally don't accept very many Canadians.

Do you know when we'll be able to send the electronic form from AADSAS to our evaluators? Is it June 1 or will it be open sometime sooner?

I have almost similar stats as you. My GPA is 4.0 so far for any Canadian school (here they see your aggregate and its above 90%) but as AADSAS takes every individual course its reducing to 3.77. My DAT scores are AA 22, RC 20, Carving 15, PAT 16. But I am planning to take American DAT too in June end (I hope its not too late) and expecting to get much more as I gave Canadian DAT without any preparation. I had not even completed my first year then so still had lot of things that were unfamiliar in Chem and Bio. I am applying to following schools in USA

1. U of Penn

2. Columbia University

3. IUPUI ( I know its a state school but my family lives there so I prefer it)

4. University of Maryland

5. Case Western

6. Univ of Detroit Mercy

7. Pacific

8. Marquette

9. BU

10.NYU

11.Tufts

12.Nova

In Canada

1.Western (IP)

2. UFT(IP)

3.UBC

4.McGill.

Actually I am interesting in going for specializations after DDS (I know its too early to decide but this is what I am planning right now) so I want to make my choice based on my chances of getting specialization after DDS. Does anyone have any suggestion for which schools are good for getting specialization later.

For ssg8 : When are you applying to american schools?

I already wrote the American DAT and I got a bit higher than my Canadian ones; however the percentile for the same score can sometimes be lower. Be prepared to do the PAT on the computer...I found that was a bit challenging for some parts since I couldn't annotate the diagrams and cross out answers. Will you be sending both Canadian and American DAT scores? Or just the American one?

I already wrote the American DAT and I got a bit higher than my Canadian ones; however the percentile for the same score can sometimes be lower. Be prepared to do the PAT on the computer...I found that was a bit challenging for some parts since I couldn't annotate the diagrams and cross out answers. Will you be sending both Canadian and American DAT scores? Or just the American one?

I am not feeling good about my PAT and carving scores and I am pretty much confident to get much better scores in American DAT so I will be sending American DAT only. Also few schools have mentioned on their website that they accept Canadian DAT but prefer American one.

I am not feeling good about my PAT and carving scores and I am pretty much confident to get much better scores in American DAT so I will be sending American DAT only. Also few schools have mentioned on their website that they accept Canadian DAT but prefer American one.

Yeah, of course they prefer the American one, that way it's easier for them to compare you to other American students. Practice makes perfect for the PAT and the carving...i dunno. My best score on carving was when i chipped it lol. You should rewrite the Canadian DAT again. Your scores aren't that bad! :)

the only school where you can specialize from is Case Western

why is that? what about other schools...and i was wondering Dr. BadVibes how difficult is it to get into a specialty such as oral surgery in US for Canadians? could you elaborate for both cases...either after graduating from canadian dental school or from a US school...thanks

How about Columbia University? Is there any other school besides the ones enlisted which is private or take a lot of out of state residents and has pretty well options for specializations? Thanks for your input.

Yeah, of course they prefer the American one, that way it's easier for them to compare you to other American students. Practice makes perfect for the PAT and the carving...i dunno. My best score on carving was when i chipped it lol. You should rewrite the Canadian DAT again. Your scores aren't that bad! :)

Can you suggest any good source to prepare PAT section? Thanks.

Hi guys

I was wondering if my list of US schools are ok? Any suggestions will be great.

1. University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry

2. Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry

3. New York University College of Dentistry

4. Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center School of Dental and Oral Surgery

5. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine

6. Boston University School of Dental Medicine

7. Temple University

8. Nova Southeastern University

9. University of Detroit Mercy

Canada

1. UofT

2. Western

My stats are (after 3rd year):

cGPA - 3.91

sGPA - 3.88

cAvg - 90.1%

cDAT: TS-19 AA-21 PAT-22 RC-25 Carving - 22

Still working on my personal statement and on getting LOR's, sort of late in the game so I'm pretty nervous about that.

Archived