Premed 101 Forums

UBC Organic Chemistry

dc88

Hey guys, i'm hoping that some UBC students could help me out with something thats been bothering me for awhile about the UBC organic chemistry set-up!

American medical schools all want 1 year of organic chemistry, with a lab, and with my degree, cell biology and genetics, I took Chem 233 (the organic chemistry class for biological science students), Chem 235 (the organic chemistry lab) and Chem 205 (physical chemistry-no lab involved). How do I take my other term of organic chemistry + lab when the only other organic chemistry course I could take is for students who are in the faculty of biochemistry or chemistry as they have the pre-requesites for the course!?

Should I have majored in Biochemistry or Chemistry, which would have allowed me to initially take Chem 203 and 204 (the year of organic chemistry)? It's too late for me to change my major as i'm in my fourth year and I really want to eventually apply to American medical schools!

Have any other Canadian, UBC or other university, students had this problem!? I really would appreciate some feedback!!!!!!!

Thanks!

hey dc88,

Don't worry too much about the OChem requirement. What I would do is contact the different schools directly (calling them is the best as things can be a bit slow by email) and tell them about your situation.

I am a UBC grad as well and I am currently applying so I had to figure out the Ochem requirement as well. Have you taken any biochem? Schools seem to like biochem, and most of the ones I contacted were willing to substitute one sem of biochem for the OChem requirement. Mind you I am completing a graduate degree, so I'm not sure if that contributed to them being willing to be flexible on the requirement.

So my advice is to check with schools directly...There are a lot of other UBC students out there applying in your same situation so I'm sure they have encountered a similar situation before.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the reply dancerdoc!!

Yeah I took a semester of biochem (Bioc 302), probably one of my worst grades, but it didn't have a lab component so I don't know if they'll be too flexible on that! Thanks again for the advice!!!

Archived