Premed 101 Forums

Anyone know about gettin Maritime Residency

hey, does anyone know how the maritime residency thing works?

Im an ontario resident, and I'm considering doing a masters at Dalhousie to get the maritime residency.

It seems like you need to be there only 12 months prior to application, so does that mean i could just be doing a masters, working, or even just living there for 12 months to get it? Seems too easy

(and i meet the independent student condition, out of high school for more than 4 years)

thanks

I believe as long as you are living and working in a province for 12 consecutive months you are then considered a permanent residence of that province. You don't get residency status if you go somewhere for university normally. It may be different for masters programs however, because you tend to stay throughout the summer as well. But working throughout the 12 months may be a requirement so its best to contact the admissions office ahead of time and ask them if your plan would give you the residency status you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

If your master's is a salaried position (i.e. you're funded or your supervisor gives you a salary because it is researched based) then it counts towards your residency time (at least it did for me).

But definitely email the admissions people when it comes time for you to apply, because they will send you an email you can include in your application stating that your masters was considered a job, thus allowing you to be considered a resident. :)

Archived