Premed 101 Forums

UofT Essay Topics?

Guest tweep0

Hi everyone,

When writing the essay, some people have a unique theme throughout the entire essay (ie essay begins describing a race in a marathon, and the essay is build on 'a marathon'). Others dedicate the essay to why he/she is a good candidate by listing experiences accomplishments etc.

Which one did you (as successful applicants) use for your UofT essay?

Thanks

The OMSAS application booklet lists a number of questions/issues to be addressed in the Toronto essay, so that should be your first source for information on the content of your essay. So it's not really a theme essay (I associate those with U.S. schools, for some reason)..it's more like a number of small essays.

Like Toonces said, while it's not a theme essay (although one could argue the overall tone is 'why I'd make a phenomenal doctor'), it's still a single essay addressing a number of questions. In my opinion, try answering the questions using examples from your life and your experiences, but more importantly keep it logical, concise and coherent. ie. a bunch of disjointed 'mini-essay answers' which don't flow from one to the next might be something to avoid...but again, just my opinion, and there's more than one way to write. good luck.

word of the day: 'epoophoron'

I don't know how much advice those of us who applied in previous years can offer, becuase my understanding is that the U of T personal stastement has changed quite a lot this year. While they now ask for a more general personal statement, last year we had to answer a list of quite specific questions in an essay format. That made the structuring of the essay a little easier. ;)

Personally, I didn't have a theme, as far as I can remember. :)

Archived