Premed 101 Forums

Failing in US Med School

From what I understand, once you're accepted into Canadian med school, failing (and having to withdraw/leave) is highly unlikely.

I have also heard that this is not the case in US med schools - that failing is much more common.

Does anyone have any info/stats on how many students fail/drop out/don't graduate from US med schools?????

From what I understand, once you're accepted into Canadian med school, failing (and having to withdraw/leave) is highly unlikely.

I have also heard that this is not the case in US med schools - that failing is much more common.

Does anyone have any info/stats on how many students fail/drop out/don't graduate from US med schools?????

I'd be surprised if it was any different. During orientation week, they told us that the graduation rate at Wayne was 96% (they told us this after they said we were all going to fail to reassure us that we have resources if we need help)

I dunno where you got your info from, but my understanding is that the drop out rate is extremely low. I heard of cases where students took SIX years to finish a 4 year program because they were a bit "slow", but showed enough determination that the med school give them 2 extra years. In other cases, people have been booted out of med school for failing courses, and not given any second chances because of their partying life style (i.e., been warned by a school not to attend a party, but still went anyhow)

i highly doubt a student was kicked out because he went to a party lol wtf that's outrageous. there's probably more to the story.

Heard the story with my own ears, in real life! It was during my med interview in California, had a 2nd year student tell us about the school, and he told me about his experiences there, including the story of the girl who had 6 years, and the guy who was kicked out for partying too hard (he was also failing some courses too, but the school didn't cut him any slack, as would be usually the case because he partied wayyyy too hard, he also ignored a direct warning NOT to attend that Halloween party.. (there was a test the following week, and was warned to stay in his residence and study instead.... lol.. guess he tempted fate once too many)

Heard the story with my own ears, in real life! It was during my med interview in California, had a 2nd year student tell us about the school, and he told me about his experiences there, including the story of the girl who had 6 years, and the guy who was kicked out for partying too hard (he was also failing some courses too, but the school didn't cut him any slack, as would be usually the case because he partied wayyyy too hard, he also ignored a direct warning NOT to attend that Halloween party.. (there was a test the following week, and was warned to stay in his residence and study instead.... lol.. guess he tempted fate once too many)

Lol but if he went to the party and still passed with flying colors, I doubt they would've kicked him out. Sometimes I find med school to care too much with their mandatory attendence etc. Especially after you're so used to having no one give a rat's a* about you in undergrad.

Was this at Loma Linda?

Sometimes I find med school to care too much with their mandatory attendence etc. Especially after you're so used to having no one give a rat's a* about you in undergrad.

Haha this is so true. It's like we're in elementary school again.

I'd be surprised if it was any different. During orientation week, they told us that the graduation rate at Wayne was 96% (they told us this after they said we were all going to fail to reassure us that we have resources if we need help)

U of T's rate is about 99.8% (i.e., 1 person every other year does not complete the program). So FWIW, in our sample size of 2, the Canadian "drop-out" rate is much less, but the % who complete the degree is very similar. This seems like an issue of semantics...

U of T's rate is about 99.8% (i.e., 1 person every other year does not complete the program). So FWIW, in our sample size of 2, the Canadian "drop-out" rate is much less, but the % who complete the degree is very similar. This seems like an issue of semantics...

You're right, there are a lot of things to consider. For example, I know of at least one student over the past few years at Wayne who died (and therefore did not graduate). Boston U dude probably won't graduate either, lol.

Archived