Premed 101 Forums

8000 Characters or 1000 words?

Guest Jazz

Does anyone know whether we are allowed to go over 1000 words for the personal statement if we stay under the 8000 character limit set by OMSAS? Thanks, and good luck to those applying this year.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Jazz,

The application question mentions a 1000 word limit, but the electronic application pays no attention to your number of words; instead, it counts your number of characters. So an 8000 character limit (with a couple of thousand two-letter words if you wish ;) ) is it.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest just pasting your draft essay into the OMSAS UT section. It will tell you how many characters you have, and tell you if you go over the limit. Much better than trying to estimate it on your own.

Guest Namgalsip

Hey,

If it's anything like last year, each time you press enter for a new paragraph it takes away 4 characters from your word count (it took me a while to figure our why the charecter count on Word doesn't coincide with Compass). In addition, when you press on preview, all paragraph breaks dissappear (they fix this when they print the copies for each school). I hope they made some changes this year.

Nams

Archived