Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drinking the last beer I have in the lab fridge. This is my last day as a member of this lab. I already gave all my keys back (pockets so much lighter!). I don't even believe I'm leaving this place! lol. Damn...its like a home away from home.

How sad that I missed it. :(

Will you be visiting?

So I don't post on pm101 for a few days and I miss a lot of crazy threads:eek:. It was like a cat fight in some of them! haha. I wonder if med schools themselves have this much drama:rolleyes:. I don't even think high school was this bad:p

Had a crazy busy week- looked after my little cousins everyday this week. Ended up with a cold on Tuesday, so looking after a rambunctious 7 and 10 year old was a little crazy (I seriously have no idea how my mother managed to do it. I looked after them from about 7:30am until 4pm (except for the day I took them to Capital Ex- that was 7:30am- 8pm) and I was dead tired by the end of the day and wanted to die! I don't know how my mom looked after us all day when she was sick! Hats off to all the moms out there!), and it sucked because I wasn't able to be the uber cool nanny/babysitter I normally am for them (although I'm pretty sure they enjoyed going to Capital Ex, the Telus World of Science, and Despicable Me (good movie btw)), but I wish I could have taken them to the park and played tag, climbed on the equipment, gone to the splash park etc. with them. I guess I owe them next time! haha

In other news... Back on the ice in two days for good:D So excited!!!!

Random question: Does anyone know of any AWESOME anti-itch (for mosquito bites) stuff? After Bite doesn't work (and just stings like a mofo if I've been scratching at all) and they are sooooooo itchy it's not even funny! (I wouldn't doubt that I'm semi-allergic to them). I've even taken antihistamines (to help with the cold I currently have) and that hasn't helped :(.

If I ever visit a country where the mosquitoes carry West Nile/Malaria, I'm going to have to get my doc to just prescribe me the medication to treat it (and promise only to take it if I start coming down with the symptoms). Mosquitoes just love me so much that I'd wind up getting it:rolleyes:

Ooooh... did you know fact of the day: the drink "gin and tonic" was actually invented as a malaria cure/prevention way back in the day? The tonic water (at the time) contained extract from the bark of the Cinchona tree (which contains quinine). It tasted so bad though on its own, that they decided to add gin to make it go down easier:rolleyes:

*pushes nerd glasses up nose* :P

Random question: Does anyone know of any AWESOME anti-itch (for mosquito bites) stuff? After Bite doesn't work (and just stings like a mofo if I've been scratching at all) and they are sooooooo itchy it's not even funny! (I wouldn't doubt that I'm semi-allergic to them). I've even taken antihistamines (to help with the cold I currently have) and that hasn't helped :(.

I like using baby powder, some like using aloe cream

I also slap the crap outta my mosquito bites, numbs the itchiness :D

If I ever visit a country where the mosquitoes carry West Nile/Malaria, I'm going to have to get my doc to just prescribe me the medication to treat it (and promise only to take it if I start coming down with the symptoms). Mosquitoes just love me so much that I'd wind up getting it:rolleyes:

Ooooh... did you know fact of the day: the drink "gin and tonic" was actually invented as a malaria cure/prevention way back in the day? The tonic water (at the time) contained extract from the bark of the Cinchona tree (which contains quinine). It tasted so bad though on its own, that they decided to add gin to make it go down easier:rolleyes:

*pushes nerd glasses up nose* :P

Yes, I knew that about gin & tonic. I still hate the drink. Andrew drinks it all the time. Don't worry about Malaria counties (and we're a West Nile country...are we not? Lol). I was in a country taking anti-malarial drugs and lived there for 7wks. I left without having one mosquito bite....but probably will have some form of cancer after the amount of Deet I bathed myself in.

Calamine lotion and cortisone. Oh, I also use diaper creams! They work like a charm. Calamine does not work on eczema though--just so you know.

Drinking the last beer I have in the lab fridge. This is my last day as a member of this lab. I already gave all my keys back (pockets so much lighter!). I don't even believe I'm leaving this place! lol. Damn...its like a home away from home.

Poor Dee :( Sad, ain't it? I'm looking at all the boxes in my house and feel like I'm mourning someone.

Wait, wait, wait....why do you have beer in the lab?

I like using baby powder, some like using aloe cream

I also slap the crap outta my mosquito bites, numbs the itchiness

Yes, I knew that about gin & tonic. I still hate the drink. Andrew drinks it all the time. Don't worry about Malaria counties (and we're a West Nile country...are we not? Lol). I was in a country taking anti-malarial drugs and lived there for 7wks. I left without having one mosquito bite....but probably will have some form of cancer after the amount of Deet I bathed myself in.

Calamine lotion and cortisone. Oh, I also use diaper creams! They work like a charm. Calamine does not work on eczema though--just so you know.

Thanks for the help guys! :) I'll try it out and see which one works better. Hopefully one of them is a miracle cure for me, because I woke up this morning and realized I had been scratching at them in my sleep :( lol

On a totally different note, I phoned Virgin Mobile today to argue with them about a $35 charge on my bill. I was expecting a bit of a hassle at least a) because I was worried they'd be like other phone companies (ie Rogers and Telus) and try and screw me over and B) I really had no proof that the guy that sold me the phone/plan said there wouldn't be the $35 connection charge. So I phone, and get the charged reversed no problems! :D Didn't give me any hassle whatsoever! And to think I was so worried about calling and having to argue that I almost didn't:rolleyes:

Archived