Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching my Kitty have "seizures" and feeling very helpless. Vet can't figure it out. Possible Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome, but who knows. Very stressfull :(

How terrible. Epilepsy a possibility as you seem to indicate they reoccur, in which case thereis medication. Keep us posted. May Kitty has a speedy recovery.

I wasn't too enamored with the EK VR prep. It was the only section of Ek I didn't like.

Hmmm it seems to be the 'go to' practise set of tests according to other posters here. I dunno, I guess I am doing OK but I want to be stellar! I'm afraid I'll need to make up for potential deficiencies in other areas (*cough* orgo and electrochemistry *cough*).

Lol... unfortunately I'm stuck in Windsor until Sunday :P

Windsor ain't half bad. :P Never been but so I've heard. :D

Ok, so I watched eat pray love. And it was ...just... meh. I prefer the book.

The movie got 2/5 stars. And you'd think since it's Julia Roberts that it would be a good movie. I'm going to pass and just rent it.

On a side note, I really, really miss my friend. It's one of those "I want to do this - ah but they're not here to do it with me so it won't be as much fun" stages. And I don't know where is the off button to that. :o

Gah. I'm so indecisive! Do I take orgo II this fall or next summer. :confused:

On top of it, I'm ONE bloody course short (3 credits at U of A) to finish my second degree in three years, if I go through with finishing it. Of course, that's assuming I get into the dietetics program (nutrition major) after my first year of studies. Which means I need a high GPA not only for meds but also for dietetics, as the GPA to get into it is rising every year. And my GPA will be compared against those of all the first year students just taking all the intro courses, whereas I have two tough third year courses and two very tough second year courses this year. (I'm missing two of the pre-reqs for dietetics: cell biology and English, which is why I wasn't admitted directly to dietetics despite already having a degree, even though I essentially covered all the material covered in cell biology, just over a wide variety of courses.)

Of course, I could un-declare my minor (physical activity) and manage to finish in three years, if I stick with dietetics and get into it. Or keep my minor (which is truly of interest to me, as I teach fitness class and I'm a marathon runner) and be prepared to take courses next summer - and since I'm already taking one, then I could get orgo as well.

And, I need to come up with a different back-up plan, in case I don't manage to get the GPA required for meds or dietetics. I did well in my first degree, but that was a lot of mathematics-heavy engineering courses; the ones that brought down my GPA were my computer programming and electrical control theory courses (I've six Bs over the course of my transcript, all in computer- and electrical-heavy courses, the rest are all A-s to A+s). And I took orgo I and biochem I in the summer, when I was taking a lighter course load, so I had time to really focus and spend the time needed on memorization.

Sorry for going on and on here, I'm just trying to figure out my plan moving forward from here.

Of course, I could un-declare my minor (physical activity) and manage to finish in three years, if I stick with dietetics and get into it. Or keep my minor (which is truly of interest to me, as I teach fitness class and I'm a marathon runner) and be prepared to take courses next summer - and since I'm already taking one, then I could get orgo as well.

What is the downside by un-declaring your minor? Could you not do that and still continue your interest in fitness, as teacher, etc.? If it is not going to affect you financially, professionally, isn't this the way to go? And if it will affect you in some way, would this just be a temporary detour and perhaps, going this route is in your best interests for your primary goal(s).

What is the downside by un-declaring your minor? Could you not do that and still continue your interest in fitness, as teacher, etc.? If it is not going to affect you financially, professionally, isn't this the way to go? And if it will affect you in some way, would this just be a temporary detour and perhaps, going this route is in your best interests for your primary goal(s).

Only downside is I can't then take some of the health education and kinesiology courses that are only open to those doing a kin degree or a physical activity minor. As it is an area I'm interested in, I'll probably do well in those courses (and they count as approved program electives towards my nutrition degree).

But maybe I'll un-declare it, see how this year goes and what my GPA is like, and then, if it looks like I don't have the grades for med, re-declare it then.

Thanks for helping me think this through. :)

But maybe I'll un-declare it, see how this year goes and what my GPA is like, and then, if it looks like I don't have the grades for med, re-declare it then.

So, you move ahead, keep your options open. And you can always re-declare, even if you do med, just out of interest. :P Sometimes, when we are so close to the problem, we are unable to see the trees from the forest.

Archived