Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RyanMaverick should get over the stereotyping and putting all girls into one pile. lol.

To Maverick: You really shouldn't go through life putting people into separate buckets. Not all girls are the same... just like not all guys are.

I also dislike make up and long talks about fashion and lipsticks. Does that make me more of a guy? No.

You girls know I'm joking around, right?

Jeeze, girls just can't take a joke. Oops, there I go again.

RyanMaverick should get over the stereotyping and putting all girls into one pile. lol.

To Maverick: You really shouldn't go through life putting people into separate buckets. Not all girls are the same... just like not all guys are.

I also dislike make up and long talks about fashion and lipsticks. Does that make me more of a guy? No.

lol coming from the "why do all guys suck?" girl :o

lol coming from the "why do all guys suck?" girl :o

LOOOOL. I don't actually think that. Obviously. I have more guy friends than girlfriends. :P However, sometimes you guys like to make it difficult to understand you.... but wait, sometimes girls do that too. lol. :D

LOOOOL. I don't actually think that. Obviously. I have more guy friends than girlfriends. :P However, sometimes you guys like to make it difficult to understand you.... but wait, sometimes girls do that too. lol. :D

Aha well we're all probably crazy in our own way... but you can obviously get along with guys, which is good! When a guy is right for you, you guys will get along like really close friends. If you don't "understand" someone, don't force it, it probably isn't right. When you feel the understanding coming naturally then that's when you go with it. Unless you're just in it for the booty. Then just hit it n quit it, Jedi style.

Haha... just because we enjoy sports/beer/Yoda/have short hair/work in "guy" type of jobs (I'm doing an engineering degree of some sort) doesn't mean we're boyish. It means we encompass diversity, which in my belief every woman should possess. There is nothing more annoying than a girl who has no clue about anything other than fashion (especially shoes), make up and pedicures/manicures/tanning salons.

It works other way around - there's nothing more annoying than a guy who only knows how to lead a discussion about sports and cars.

It's all about having a bit of both sides and being balanced.

Exactly! I mean, I'm an engineer - I have my iron ring and graduated from an engineering program, but I'm also a group fitness (aerobics) instructor. I love camping, running and the outdoors, but I also enjoy getting all "dressed up" and putting on makeup for a special occasion.

On the other hand, the only time I've ever had a manicure and pedicure was for my wedding, I HATE shoes (I have super-wide feet, so only buy absolutely necessary shoes) and have absolutely no fashion sense (or rather, I'm very conservative in the way I dress). But I love hockey! And I'm a gamer - I love computer games (especially role-playing games and turn-based strategy games like the Civ series) and I've been a Dungeons & Dragons geek all of my adult life (which in high school caused me no end of troubles since I was the only girl in the gaming club, and all these very stereotypical geeks, that I had absolutely no interest in, were interested in me. *sigh*)

My closest friends have always been guys, because a lot of "girl talk" just puts me off. But I can be very feminine at times (just ask my husband ;)).

I have no desire to have children, which many consider to be "unfeminine" and still shocks a lot of women in today's day and age. And no, at my age, if my biological clock hasn't started ticking, believe me, it won't. I've never enjoyed being around children (so no peds for me) so that is a weakness of mine, and I've worked at it but becoming a Girl Guide leader. Although I do enjoy being a Guider, there's no way I would want kids of my own.

I'm a Star Trek, Star Wars (especially the original trilogy) and overall sci-fi fan (go Stargate, BSG and Smallville! not to mention sci fi books) but I also love the Voyager series by Diana Gabaldon.

So I'm definitely a real mix of "typical" female traits and very "non-typical" ones. But hey, my husband and I can watch Star Trek or hockey together, and it's all good. :) And he gets to brag that he's married to an "aerobics instructor." ;)

Edit: Oh, and I have long hair - well, just past shoulder length at the moment. I hate short hair on me, so I guess having long hair is another "feminine" trait.

Edit2: I just remembered now, one of my close guy friends from first year university told me at the time: "well, you're not someone a guy is going to pick up in a bar, but you're the kind of girl guys want to marry eventually." LOL.

Aha well we're all probably crazy in our own way... but you can obviously get along with guys, which is good! When a guy is right for you, you guys will get along like really close friends. If you don't "understand" someone, don't force it, it probably isn't right. When you feel the understanding coming naturally then that's when you go with it. Unless you're just in it for the booty. Then just hit it n quit it, Jedi style.

Thanks for the advice. However, it's a sticky situation. We get along fine - actually, the two of us get along great! We're really close friends, but there's something called grad school, distance and wacko schedules. All of the mentioned are creating unnecessary annoyances that are out of our controls. However, that being said, both of us try our best to work out every little detail of our life/schedule before telling one another about a sudden change in it - we're both guilty of this. But what can I say: I dislike MSN, phone, fb.... I love face-to-face convos and when you haven't seen each other for a long while.... lol. So, I'm annoyed at the situation. But that's life.

Either way, we figured out a way around this. Let's hope nothing else comes in the way until then. :)

On this girly-girl vs. not theme...

There is no way I will wear a dress to an interview. I'll be wearing my (expensive and properly-fitted) suit. I will have really shirt hair, and minimal (if any) makeup.

How did the other non-girly female interviewees approach this? Same as me? Or did you femme it up?

I'm going to add that I am very girly looking in face and body so I would never be mitaken for a guy in an interview situation. :D

Exactly! I mean, I'm an engineer - I have my iron ring and graduated from an engineering program, but I'm also a group fitness (aerobics) instructor. I love camping, running and the outdoors, but I also enjoy getting all "dressed up" and putting on makeup for a special occasion.

On the other hand, the only time I've ever had a manicure and pedicure was for my wedding, I HATE shoes (I have super-wide feet, so only buy absolutely necessary shoes) and have absolutely no fashion sense (or rather, I'm very conservative in the way I dress). But I love hockey! And I'm a gamer - I love computer games (especially role-playing games and turn-based strategy games like the Civ series) and I've been a Dungeons & Dragons geek all of my adult life (which in high school caused me no end of troubles since I was the only girl in the gaming club, and all these very stereotypical geeks, that I had absolutely no interest in, were interested in me. *sigh*)

My closest friends have always been guys, because a lot of "girl talk" just puts me off. But I can be very feminine at times (just ask my husband ;)).

I have no desire to have children, which many consider to be "unfeminine" and still shocks a lot of women in today's day and age. And no, at my age, if my biological clock hasn't started ticking, believe me, it won't. I've never enjoyed being around children (so no peds for me) so that is a weakness of mine, and I've worked at it but becoming a Girl Guide leader. Although I do enjoy being a Guider, there's no way I would want kids of my own.

I'm a Star Trek, Star Wars (especially the original trilogy) and overall sci-fi fan (go Stargate, BSG and Smallville! not to mention sci fi books) but I also love the Voyager series by Diana Gabaldon.

So I'm definitely a real mix of "typical" female traits and very "non-typical" ones. But hey, my husband and I can watch Star Trek or hockey together, and it's all good. :) And he gets to brag that he's married to an "aerobics instructor." ;)

Edit: Oh, and I have long hair - well, just past shoulder length at the moment. I hate short hair on me, so I guess having long hair is another "feminine" trait.

Edit2: I just remembered now, one of my close guy friends from first year university told me at the time: "well, you're not someone a guy is going to pick up in a bar, but you're the kind of girl guys want to marry eventually." LOL.

I must say from your post - we would get along awesomely! 3/4 of the stuff in your post applies to me as well. lol. And yes, I've been told that line before by many, many of my guy friends - "you're marriage material" lol.

On this girly-girl vs. not theme...

There is no way I will wear a dress to an interview. I'll be wearing my (expensive and properly-fitted) suit. I will have really shirt hair, and minimal (if any) makeup.

How did the other non-girly female interviewees approach this? Same as me? Or did you femme it up?

I'm going to add that I am very girly looking in face and body so I would never be mitaken for a guy in an interview situation. :D

Hahahaha. I think at one point in time someone suggested I wear high heels, skirt and a dress shirt to lab. I kind of gave them this look and then pointed towards multiple camera system with TONS of cables. Heels and cables just don't mix well. Not to mention that the camera system cost $$$$$.

Trust me: if I was ever mistaken for a guy, I would be very surprised. I don't wear make up to interviews. However, I can and I will dress up if I need to. It's funny - some of my colleagues got used to me wearing jeans and random shirts in the lab. So, on my friend's birthday, I decided to wear a dress, put on make up and wear high heels. I actually laughed out loud at the reaction of some of my male colleagues - ":eek:" lol. Literally. Full body check out. lol

Hahahaha. I think at one point in time someone suggested I wear high heels, skirt and a dress shirt to lab. I kind of gave them this look and then pointed towards multiple camera system with TONS of cables. Heels and cables just don't mix well. Not to mention that the camera system cost $$$$$.

Trust me: if I was ever mistaken for a guy, I would be very surprised. I don't wear make up to interviews. However, I can and I will dress up if I need to. It's funny - some of my colleagues got used to me wearing jeans and random shirts in the lab. So, on my friend's birthday, I decided to wear a dress, put on make up and wear high heels. I actually laughed out loud at the reaction of some of my male colleagues - ":eek:" lol. Literally. Full body check out. lol

Hehe. :D I will never, ever wear high heels (broke my L2 vertebra falling off a horse which makes heels very painful, not to mention finding heels to fit my ridiculously-wide feet is pretty much impossible) but I DO love dressing up for formal occasions, and putting on make-up for those times.

To interviews, I will definitely be wearing a suit that includes a skirt (or my lovely dress-with-suit-jacket-over-top) and make-up.

Make-up in general, I typically wear a little bit - but it is truly a little bit - eyeliner (MAC powerpoints that stay on through a run or fitness class plus a shower after), a bit of cover-up on any zits (I thought I would have grown out of them by now but I sadly haven't) and, during the summer, sunscreen on my face (I'm super fair) and an SPF lip balm. That's it. Which is quite funny when you realize my sister is a cosmetologist (although she's gone back to school to become a PT assistant).

Haha... just because we enjoy sports/beer/Yoda/have short hair/work in "guy" type of jobs (I'm doing an engineering degree of some sort) doesn't mean we're boyish. It means we encompass diversity, which in my belief every woman should possess. There is nothing more annoying than a girl who has no clue about anything other than fashion (especially shoes), make up and pedicures/manicures/tanning salons.

It works other way around - there's nothing more annoying than a guy who only knows how to lead a discussion about sports and cars.

It's all about having a bit of both sides and being balanced.

Girls don't enjoy sports. They just pretend that they do to attract men.

Archived