Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

I can't wait for the first years to start dropping out and not showing for classes. devil-animated-animation-devil-smiley-emoticon-000386-medium.gif The buses are WAY too full. I've had 3 buses pass me by without stopping in 2 days.

One of Dee's Mcgill friends, I assume. But why on earth would anyone creep about in THIS thread? (not you, talking about the other guy Dee mentioned lol)

Ah well, fair enough. I tend to jump to conclusions. :D

He, he...I get on at the terminal. And if I am ever late, I'll call my husband and drag him out of bed.

I stalk Dee. Openly. The place looks great ;)

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cnb,

Is it wrong that I have the hots for your avatar?

Ummm.... Yes? No? I don't know? lol

Well, so did Yakko and Wakko, so I think you're in good company.

Yay! Someone else that knows where it came from :D

Lol... As I recall, so did Ralph the Guard and Dr. Scratchnsniff as well. lol

Of course not! Who doesn't?

Erm... I didn't realize my avatar had that kind of effect on people:o

She's merely reflecting what she looks like in a nurse's outfit IRL. ;)

:P

Hahahaha! Yeah right! :P

Right now I am doing my research paper about Prostrate cancer.

:rolleyes:

I know the WED thread is full of randomness, but this made me lol.

Yay! Someone else that knows where it came from :D

Lol... As I recall, so did Ralph the Guard and Dr. Scratchnsniff as well. lol

I have a little Animaniacs toy with Yakko, Wakko, Dot, Pinky & Brain on my bookshelf. I got it when I was a kid from Burger King. True story. I loved that show.

So, my team research project for this semester is TOTALLY COOL. We're still waiting to confirm that that's what we'll be doing though. In other news, I apparently have to know the structure, 3 letter code and single letter code for every amino acid for biochem. Not sure how I'm going to achieve that.:rolleyes:

He registered as bystander to report my post. Lol. After more than 2k posts I got my first reported post. :cool:

Lol - for saying his name?

So, my team research project for this semester is TOTALLY COOL. We're still waiting to confirm that that's what we'll be doing though. In other news, I apparently have to know the structure, 3 letter code and single letter code for every amino acid for biochem. Not sure how I'm going to achieve that.:rolleyes:

Lol - for saying his name?

haha dude you can get that task down in 3-4 days, tops. I had to do that in second year. Just get a copy of Lehninger, some flashcards, and go for it. You'll have it down in no time.

On a side note, someone was complaining in one of my molecular biology classes about how hard the material was. My older prof said "you should be lucky. When I was in your shoes we had to learn all the 3 nucleotide codons that correspond to all the amino acids!"

and I replied

"yeah, but how many amino acids had they discovered at that point?"

and I replied

"yeah, but how many amino acids had they discovered at that point?"

hahaha- awesome! I wouldn't have had the guts to say that!

haha dude you can get that task down in 3-4 days, tops. I had to do that in second year. Just get a copy of Lehninger, some flashcards, and go for it. You'll have it down in no time.

I hope so. I'm more of the "understanding material" type of person and generally have trouble just memorizing anything unless there's a logical connection. But I've got 4 weeks to the mid term which should be more than enough.

I got an email this afternoon from my supervisor saying that his funding was going to another project and I was basically SOL since no one else in the department is doing similar stuff in their labs. So I sent him a sad/angry email going on about how we were talking about the protocol less than an hour earlier in the day and why didn't he tell me then. Then I get the emil back saying "Oops- this email was for someone else."

Crisis averted. But I feel bad for the other person.

I got an email this afternoon from my supervisor saying that his funding was going to another project and I was basically SOL since no one else in the department is doing similar stuff in their labs. So I sent him a sad/angry email going on about how we were talking about the protocol less than an hour earlier in the day and why didn't he tell me then. Then I get the emil back saying "Oops- this email was for someone else."

Crisis averted. But I feel bad for the other person.

Phew. Oh man... I feel bad for the other person too.

Not to worry. Today I came in the lab all happy just to have my bubble burst - I have to learn 2 new systems in the next week. Also learn another software I have never ever used... and it took a girl in my lab to figure out 1/3 of stuff about half a year.... :/ The system seems pretty easy to learn so I don't think I'll have many issues with it.... but hell...

With the assistance of Leap, I've come up with an easy to remember mnemonic for the non polar amino acids:

"Sexy thighs are troublesome in college"

Now I just need one more for the last set....

Are the letters in bold supposed to be the one letter codes for the amino acids? Because serine(s), threonine(t), and cysteine© are all polar, not non-polar.

LOL. I didn't assist you with anything. I was just bothering you. lol.

You provided food for thought

Are the letters in bold supposed to be the one letter codes for the amino acids? Because serine(s), threonine(t), and cysteine© are all polar, not non-polar.

Damn it, I meant uncharged polar. Thanks for pointing it out.

And congrats on not getting your funding cut!

Alanine(a) is non-polar, so that's confusing, unless the "a" in that statement stands for asparagine(n). But that's still confusing. And you forgot glutamine(q)?

Yup, missed a word when I typed it.

Sexy thighs are generally troublesome in college.

the a is for asparagine. I know it's not alanine because alanine is the very second one I learnt (I did the non polar ones first and those stick pretty well). I agree it's still possible to get confused but this should be a good way to first get them into that mess of gray matter and then it should get easier over time.

Yup, missed a word when I typed it.

Sexy thighs are generally troublesome in college.

the a is for asparagine. I know it's not alanine because alanine is the very second one I learnt (I did the non polar ones first and those stick pretty well). I agree it's still possible to get confused but this should be a good way to first get them into that mess of gray matter and then it should get easier over time.

Sorry for being so annoying about your memory aid! It's just that the amino acids are pretty much the only thing I retained from 2nd year biochem.

Harry Potter trailer looks awesome. I should re-read the darn books. I'm actually pretty excited about it... lol
Me too.

It's been a long time since I've felt this way about contacting a prof. JEEZ! I think I re-typed the e-mail a million times. I was initially going to drop by his office and see whether I can catch him, but then I chickened out and sent him an e-mail instead. Oh Lord. WTH is wrong with me?!

Looks like fb crashed.... LMAO

that's crazy. stuff like this really makes me doubt the safety of fb.

edit: i mean, like, what if one day, fb has a security breach and everything that's private is accessible by anyone? that makes me really nervous. and zuckerberg (sp?) loves apologizing for mistakes, rather than making sure they never happen.

So, I'm sick and don't feel very well so instead of working on med apps, I'm watching tv. Season premiere of CSI. Haven't watched it really since Grissom left. I've learned two things so far:

1) There is a good reason I haven't watched it in years. It really sucks now.

2) Justin Bieber acts worse than he sings. Shocking I know. Didn't think it was possible myself. But yes, he acts WORSE than he sings. Holy crap. Zero emotion. Zero passion. Zero change in voice tone. Zero everything. If you were to compare the emoting power of Justin Bieber to Keeanu Reeves... You'd think Keeanu is the world's most emoting person ever:p

Ugh... I can't believe I have wasted an hour of my life watching this crap.

CSI... Used to actually be good. I guess the only show I'll watch now to get my crime-drama fix is Criminal Minds:D

EDIT: Third thing I've learned in this hour I've wasted: Justin Bieber has the world's worst diabolical-evil-genius smile ever. Also extremely unconvincing considering he's the guy that sings "Baby" :rolleyes:

Archived