Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting in a neuro lab meeting today...just where I was last week when I separated from my husband...and I get a text from my "ex-husband" saying "Don't panic, John has a mild concussion and might need stitches"

wtf?

Irony: the topic of the lab meeting? Fear conditioning. (Using cannibus...but that's not relevant here...I wasn't high in either occasion, honest).

^ Is your son ok?

I'm going to investigate the possibility that I have iodine deficiency. For the past year or more, I've been constantly lethargic and sleepy all day no matter how much sleep I get at night. I've had difficulty concentrating at lecs and all (and I can tell it's different because most of my friends are nowhere near as distracted as me). I went through psychiatric analysis and he found nothing wrong and my family doc suggested Vit D supplements (which did nothing). Today, I was relating this miserable existence to a friend who said her sister had undergone something very similar and it turned out to be iodine deficiency.

I plan to get tested for Iodine on Monday. If I can get rid of this near constant lethargic state, my whole life would literally turn around.

^ Is your son ok?

I'm going to investigate the possibility that I have iodine deficiency. For the past year or more, I've been constantly lethargic and sleepy all day no matter how much sleep I get at night. I've had difficulty concentrating at lecs and all (and I can tell it's different because most of my friends are nowhere near as distracted as me). I went through psychiatric analysis and he found nothing wrong and my family doc suggested Vit D supplements (which did nothing). Today, I was relating this miserable existence to a friend who said her sister had undergone something very similar and it turned out to be iodine deficiency.

I plan to get tested for Iodine on Monday. If I can get rid of this near constant lethargic state, my whole life would literally turn around.

Umm, do you use iodized salt?

I've been feeling lethargic too actually. Maybe it's in the air? :P Who knows. All I know, is that I need a higher power to breathe some life into me so that I stop procrastinating and actually start prepping for my first test.

^ Is your son ok?

Check if its hormonal as well. This happened to me and it ended up being my thyroid trolling my metabolism.

^ Is your son ok?

Thats called "burn out" son! And you never recovered from it. Hardly surprising since you never really took a break from all your work. :P

Pre-burnout: I was highly motivated, on my game, mentally invincible. Post-burnout: I'm super lazy, my attention span is about 1 hr, I regularly need distractions from school/work, etc.

Although if that iodine test actually shows something, let me know. I hate salt and I never put it in any of my foods. :rolleyes:

^ Is your son ok?

+1 to the hormone idea. My MIL had issues ( along time ago) and it turned out to be a parathyroid tumor! She was a physician at the time (now retired) and hadn't figured it out. After she was diagnosed, she started seeing a few cases per year.

I'm reading emails from a few professors saying that they love my tattoo that I got about a month ago. :P

It's a hockey stick with a reticulated python around it (represents my parents' ancestry, my own country that I consider home, and the rod of Asclepius).

That sounds like a wicked tattoo. Photos?

Good thing you only got one python and not two.

Probably many ppl on here already know about the confusion between the staff with 2 snakes vs one snake- but some might not. 2 snakes are representative of commerce and theft, one snake with healing. It has a kind of great history behind it, and I think it's hilarious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus_as_a_symbol_of_medicine

I'll be getting my tattoo soon- I think I'm going to wait until I get my first interview offer. :)

I really think you could do without those kinds of milestones right now ;)

Thankfully, it was at daycare and not in Andrew's care or I would have freaked out.

They glued his head together. Lol. Am I the only mother who finds it funny that her kid's head is glued together?

Umm, do you use iodized salt?

I've been feeling lethargic too actually. Maybe it's in the air? Who knows. All I know, is that I need a higher power to breathe some life into me so that I stop procrastinating and actually start prepping for my first test.

I do. And our cooking uses a lot of it. :D

Thats called "burn out" son! And you never recovered from it. Hardly surprising since you never really took a break from all your work. :P

Pre-burnout: I was highly motivated, on my game, mentally invincible. Post-burnout: I'm super lazy, my attention span is about 1 hr, I regularly need distractions from school/work, etc.

Although if that iodine test actually shows something, let me know. I hate salt and I never put it in any of my foods. :rolleyes:

I'd like to think that but it's something that's been present for at least a year and only intensified over the summer. And it kind of exponentially intensified over the past few weeks.

+1 to the hormone idea. My MIL had issues ( along time ago) and it turned out to be a parathyroid tumor! She was a physician at the time (now retired) and hadn't figured it out. After she was diagnosed, she started seeing a few cases per year.

That's encouraging. A friend told me today that her sister had virtually the same symptoms so I hope the tests find something. Else I'm going to keep bothering the UTSC doctor until she finds something, lol. I know it sounds very simple but the effects on personal motivation and efficiency are disastrous.

Check if its hormonal as well. This happened to me and it ended up being my thyroid trolling my metabolism.

Yap. They'll be testing for thyroxine (Or TSH? I think?) which is indirectly testing for iodine levels I believe.

Thanks for your support! pm101's so cool. :cool:

Thankfully, it was at daycare and not in Andrew's care or I would have freaked out.

They glued his head together. Lol. Am I the only mother who finds it funny that her kid's head is glued together?

I haven't been on much lately and have just really seen all that's been going on now. It's amazing how many grey hairs our children can give us over the years. I'm glad that he's OK and hopefully he'll be fully healed soon. Big hugs to you C, you're a strong woman.

I'd like to think that but it's something that's been present for at least a year and only intensified over the summer. And it kind of exponentially intensified over the past few weeks.

You mean the year that you started at UofT? And intensified over the summer after you burntout? And exponentially intensified over the past few weeks right when the new school year started after a summer of continually working too hard at the lab and taking courses? Your mental psyche is not invincible. Stop blaming other things. :P

You mean the year that you started at UofT? And intensified over the summer after you burntout? And exponentially intensified over the past few weeks right when the new school year started after a summer of continually working too hard at the lab and taking courses? Your mental psyche is not invincible. Stop blaming other things. :P

Typical Dee's tough love.

Archived