Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

man, the opportunities for grad students to get money is amazing. I'm applying for an Alberta-wide scholarship, that, if I get it, will increase my salary to 35,000 dollars as a first year masters student (and not a cent of that is taken away for taxes).

Woo!

Nice! Good luck!

So, I'm attempting to find some songs to add to a CD for skating (since a lot of the music on our computer at the rink is OLD (as in... more than 20-30 years old.. I don't know who loaded THAT stuff! lol) and sometimes we don't have a music player, so we play music from CDs over the loudspeakers. Any of you have any good ideas for background music? Rules:

1. It has to be clean (mostly. One swear once in the song is generally ok.).

2. It has to be fast-ish pump-up music.

3. (and perhaps the most important): No country, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Glee, and I'd prefer no Ke$ha. (That's my own rule. I'm the oldest so I have seniority and therefore veto power...... or at least that's what I tell the girls:p)

4. No techno/electronic music- this is mostly just because it doesn't play well over the loudspeaker

5. No Nickelback (sadly). In exchange for no Justin Bieber and the others, I had to relinquish my Nickelback and the harder rock stuff.

6. No Bon Jovi (again, sadly, as I love his older stuff). My coach can't stand him, and I figure it's better not to piss her off! lol

It has to be music that younger kids (ie 10 and up) would like, but also music that isn't going to make me go insane (thus the no Justine Bieber rule). I appreciate any suggestions :)

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This morning I woke up and thought "-40°C is not a good way to start my day." But my bus came right as I got to the stop, my supervisor is letting me make a change to his project that I've been hoping to get changed for a while, and I got a lovely interview email.

It's a good day!

Congrats on the interview! We're at a balmy 1C right now! :D (Never thought we'd be in the + and you guys would be THAT cold!) Stay warm!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post- I didn't see thatonekid's post until just after I'd finished typing mine :o

This is why medgames is awesome:
That's pretty impressive.

yea, i was wondering the same thing!

on a different note, it is definitely interview time...there are nearly 300 guests on the board.

Will we crash? Will we stay afloat? here's hoping pm101 makes through yet another cycle of med apps with minimal server overloads ;)

There's also been a bunch of new members in the past few days.

Congrats on the interview! We're at a balmy 1C right now! :D (Never thought we'd be in the + and you guys would be THAT cold!) Stay warm!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post- I didn't see thatonekid's post until just after I'd finished typing mine :o

Bah, I know! I was watching the weather channel and they were talking about the weather in Alberta and Ontario. At least it's not ususally this cold. Plus, it's going to be a warm -7 tomorrow.

so... a web series that i was involved with is now going to production for a pilot episode that will then be pitched at festivals in New York and Banff...

i have assurance that i won't be recast... unless it's a money thing... or i look at the director the wrong way :P.

super pumped about that...

2011 has the potential to be a very kick ass year!

lol @ Nickleback being "hard rock"... or even music (this is just a personal opinion; music is art and therfore translates differently to different people)

Nice! Good luck!

So, I'm attempting to find some songs to add to a CD for skating (since a lot of the music on our computer at the rink is OLD (as in... more than 20-30 years old.. I don't know who loaded THAT stuff! lol) and sometimes we don't have a music player, so we play music from CDs over the loudspeakers. Any of you have any good ideas for background music? Rules:

1. It has to be clean (mostly. One swear once in the song is generally ok.).

2. It has to be fast-ish pump-up music.

3. (and perhaps the most important): No country, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Glee, and I'd prefer no Ke$ha. (That's my own rule. I'm the oldest so I have seniority and therefore veto power...... or at least that's what I tell the girls:p)

4. No techno/electronic music- this is mostly just because it doesn't play well over the loudspeaker

5. No Nickelback (sadly). In exchange for no Justin Bieber and the others, I had to relinquish my Nickelback and the harder rock stuff.

6. No Bon Jovi (again, sadly, as I love his older stuff). My coach can't stand him, and I figure it's better not to piss her off! lol

It has to be music that younger kids (ie 10 and up) would like, but also music that isn't going to make me go insane (thus the no Justine Bieber rule). I appreciate any suggestions :)

so... a web series that i was involved with is now going to production for a pilot episode that will then be pitched at festivals in New York and Banff...

i have assurance that i won't be recast... unless it's a money thing... or i look at the director the wrong way :P.

Big congrats to you! :D

My life- the plot thickens- I really dislike drama and there is way too much drama at the present time. I need real-life friends I can talk to. :(

This morning I woke up and thought "-40°C is not a good way to start my day." But my bus came right as I got to the stop, my supervisor is letting me make a change to his project that I've been hoping to get changed for a while, and I got a lovely interview email.

It's a good day!

Congrats!

I think I've taken on a TERRIBLE combination of courses this semester. We shalt see.

Congrats to all those who got interviews today! :D

Anyway, just discovered how easy it is to get a drink from mouth into your nose. Take a cup of lemonade, and try to chug it down your throat because you're retarded.... then keep on going even though it has spilled over your mouth and eventually the lemonade will go down the wrong path and come out through your nose. Yeah.... :rolleyes: I coughed and spit all over the place.

What a retarded week.

Bought a booster today. It's charging right now. At 8am tomorrow I pray that it starts my car.

My friends are laughing at me for a number of reasons:

1) I had to ask where the battery was.

2) The guy at the car shop wanted me to buy a pack that pumped up tires and acted as a charger as well as a booster, but when I asked how to take the battery out of the car, he told me that "just the booster is good for you, then"

3) I can't open my windshield wiper fluid bottle. Seriously.

4) It took me a half hour, a screw driver, and a running jump to get the red cover off the positive end of my battery.

5) When they were deciding on my course of action and I relayed the "take the battery out and put in the house to warm/charge" idea to my bro-in-law, he screamed (on the phone) "SHE'S NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE HOOD"

Can't stop laughing hahaha.

Bought a booster today. It's charging right now. At 8am tomorrow I pray that it starts my car.

2) The guy at the car shop wanted me to buy a pack that pumped up tires and acted as a charger as well as a booster, but when I asked how to take the battery out of the car, he told me that "just the booster is good for you, then"

4) It took me a half hour, a screw driver, and a running jump to get the red cover off the positive end of my battery.

5) When they were deciding on my course of action and I relayed the "take the battery out and put in the house to warm/charge" idea to my bro-in-law, he screamed (on the phone) "SHE'S NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE HOOD"

Read the instructions VERY CAREFULLY. If you mount the boost wrong, you can burn the computer in your car.

Oh Cnus,

You're cute.

I'm the same way when it comes to cars. :( I don't know much about what goes on under the hood. That's why CAA exists! But seriously, I should learn basic underneath-the-hood anatomy.

BTW, what IS the reason you musn't take the car battery out? :confused: Is that bad? :o

To the above car posts:

1) The red thing is a cover.....pull it off....

2) The battery is the big plastic box under the hood.

3) Red to red, black to black.

4) The thing weighs at least 40lbs, not easy to take out. :P

5) No you can't burn the computer by reversing it. But you might blow up the battery.

Girls sitting next to me in Neurosci class:

Girl 1: "I can't believe they're making me take evolutionary psychology - what is that? The psychology of monkeys?"

Girl 2: "I think its like, behaviour that was influenced by evolution. You know, like mothers caring for their babies and stuff?"

Girl 1: "Monkey babies? Ugh whatever I've already appealed it."

Girl 2: "Appealed? You haven't taken it..."

Girl 1: " I'm appealing having to take it because I don't believe in evolution so they can't make me take it."

I'm contemplating whether to go back to the dentist or not. My laziness (napping on the floor) may have caused a sinus perforation.

That's what men are for :D

Super cool!

Tee hee. At least you got it figured out.

I never really thought about it before, but it's a good thing my dad taught me some car repair basics. Change a flat tire, check/change the oil, etc.

I'm contemplating whether to go back to the dentist or not. My laziness (napping on the floor) may have caused a sinus perforation.

That's what men are for :D

Got rid of the man...not that he knew what to do....

To the above car posts:

1) The red thing is a cover.....pull it off....

2) The battery is the big plastic box under the hood.

3) Red to red, black to black.

4) The thing weighs at least 40lbs, not easy to take out. :P

5) No you can't burn the computer by reversing it. But you might blow up the battery.

No. My booster specifically says not black to black--but black to some unpainted nut on the engine elsewhere. This caused a problem b/c when it started the first time (2nd try out of 12...had to do 12 b/c I screwed this one up), I got out of the car to take the booster off....shut the door....my car automatically locks...John is locked inside the running car and the car door jingled the leads off the battery so the engine started rocking and jumping around...I had to dash into the apartment and find the extra car key to shut if off and get John out. Lol.

Oh. And yeah, the red cover on my car doesn't just pull off...I really did have to heave at it...my battery leads are sideways and the red one is behind a giant stiff hose.

Why didn't I call you first, Dee?

Got rid of the man...not that he knew what to do....

Not any specific man, just anyone of the male gender! :D All a girl has to do is ask. It gives most guys a big ego boost if they cane help you with your car or computer...or whatever else women are stereotypically clueless about/useless at.

Archived