Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3D calculations..... :( FML. Abstract due next Friday and I have to teach myself stupid inverse dynamics and cross products and then program that in stupid MATLAB. I want to dig a hole....

I share your disdain for MATLAB :mad:

We have to use it for optimization and I don't get it at all! :o

I share your disdain for MATLAB :mad:

We have to use it for optimization and I don't get it at all! :o

Do you use it for optimization models? I have to do that for shoulder.

Speaking of which, I just programmed a code that runs 3D calculations and it seems to be making sense. The graph looks pretty neat.

Do you use it for optimization models? I have to do that for shoulder.

Speaking of which, I just programmed a code that runs 3D calculations and it seems to be making sense. The graph looks pretty neat.

Yup! We don't do anything nearly as complicated as a shoulder though, not in MATLAB anyway. We model chemical processes and heat/mass/energy transfer. For plant design and optimization, we use Unisim (the industry standard) instead. Prof only touched on it so we haven't got to play with it yet but its apparently a lot more intuitive than MATLAB.

I'm glad it works! But do you HAVE to use MATLAB? There must be something else less technical and computer geeky than that for biomechanical (which is what I'm guessing you're doing?) modelling?

Yup! We don't do anything nearly as complicated as a shoulder though, not in MATLAB anyway. We model chemical processes and heat/mass/energy transfer. For plant design and optimization, we use Unisim (the industry standard) instead. Prof only touched on it so we haven't got to play with it yet but its apparently a lot more intuitive than MATLAB.

I'm glad it works! But do you HAVE to use MATLAB? There must be something else less technical and computer geeky than that for biomechanical (which is what I'm guessing you're doing?) modelling?

Yeah. MATLAB is a MUST system to know for biomechanics. In the first semester, we have a course where basically they send you home to write out a program from scratch starting with 2D and then moving up to 3D and then inverse dynamics. My supervisor uses MATLAB to run his optimization model for shoulder and I'm building one right now for the hand (except it won't be optimization but more so kinematic model).

We have a whole bunch of systems like Visual 3D which is used for processing and you can use it to fill in the gaps in your data and what not. But you can also use MATLAB for that. It's used widely in neuroscience and biomechanics so you really can't run away from it. It's an excellent program once you get the hang of it because we usually get hundreds and thousands of rows of data depending on the sample frequency and what we're hooking up to Vicon, so it's very easy to write up a code, dump the data and let it run through instead of using let's say Excel. Besides some of the 3D stuff I'm doing right now would take like a week to do in Excel. lol. MATLAB saves you time and energy (if you know how to use it).

There is also KinAnalysis which I've never used but I've heard it was good.

apparently the usask interview notifications are out?

ab med just posted that he got one from usask...

was this the expected day of release or is it early?

They never gave us an expected date of notification. Just "early February." But it was a pleasant surprise to see the invite in my inbox!

Boys are dumb.

:(

Oh, and future tip for you all: If someone's breaking up with you, don't say "Are you done talking? [Ex-girlfriend] and I are going to see a movie and I'm supposed to be meeting her right about now."

Double :(

Special shout-out to mav and renin though. ♥

I'm really sorry to hear that kid - you deserve so much better.

I'll PM you my MSN in case you need somebody to talk to.

Boys are dumb.

Oh, and future tip for you all: If someone's breaking up with you, don't say "Are you done talking? [Ex-girlfriend] and I are going to see a movie and I'm supposed to be meeting her right about now."

*hug*

I will PM you my MSN too.

Feel the same way about our zebra finches :(

I was giving the rats their treats (fruitloops) today and changing their water, etc....I gave a dam a fruitloop and a baby stole it...she pinned the baby down to try and fight for it back and I quickly pulled out another "Here Mommy! Here Mommy!" Lol.

Boys are dumb.

i'm so sorry, that's awful :(

Boys are dumb.

Perhaps it was a defense mechanism? Boys (or girls for that matter) don't like to be broken up with (usually)! As such, he was rubbing it in to make himself feel better, considering that you were breaking his heart </3 ? :confused: That's strictly a hypothesis! :o

Archived