Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

My regular dentist took out 2 teeth from my head in the last week. :)

I have heard that it might be done for free at the ER if you need it, but mine cost about $30 each and I would much rather a dentist do it in a real dentist's office.

My new dentist is AWESOME, I have never had such painless injections.

Wow. All of my friends whom I've asked in regards to how much it costed them to get their wisdoms pulled out all said around 500-800/tooth :eek:

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was always under the assumption that you needed an oral surgeon to do it. Well then, time to look for a good dentist lol.

Yeah, your dentist is more than capable.

Snicker...I went to my dentist complaining of jaw pain, thinking I needed wisdom teeth removed...I have no wisdom teeth! He said "I think you have a headache". Lol.

Already feeling a bit of a negative vibe from some because I have 2 presentations. Like hello?!?!?! I DIDN'T ask for that! I asked that they make the first presentation a poster, not a presentation. He even responded with "Yes. For sure." And then long behold, I open the program and I have 2 presentations and not 1 poster, 1 presentation. So what am I suppose to do?!?!?!? Tell him to throw away 150 programs he's printed and change my presentation into poster and then add someone with a poster into a presentation?!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't get it. :( I'm really close to telling some people to take a hike and peak behind the corner. Maybe they'll find me there. BITE ME!

Just a bit of a rant. I'm THIS close to becoming an arrogant ass right now and not giving **** about anyone's work.

Yes! :( I've been sick for over a month (10 days + at the temp), I'm on my 3rd antibiotic, missed three wks of classes and 2 midterms.

Don't be a jerk like I was and wait... you really need to go see a Dr (your fever has been there for more than 3 days!), to make sure that it's not pneumonia or something and more importantly, you need to make sure that your head's ok after what happened to you!

Take care of yourself,

C

Did y'all know...that a fever of 39.6C really, really hurts?

Yes! :( I've been sick for over a month (10 days + at the temp), I'm on my 3rd antibiotic, missed three wks of classes and 2 midterms.

Don't be a jerk like I was and wait... you really need to go see a Dr (your fever has been there for more than 3 days!), to make sure that it's not pneumonia or something and more importantly, you need to make sure that your head's ok after what happened to you!

Take care of yourself,

C

My appointment isn't til Wednesday :(

OK, OK, I know I'm not supposed to ask medical advice on here, but my doctor is not in the office today and I need this advice today.

edited to add: OK- I know what to do now. I'm leaving this up because I don't believe in removing stuff, and I'm not afraid of people thinking I'm an idiot, b/c I'm not. :D

I have a bone scan tomorrow. Thoracic spine pain (T3) since last May and sciatica issues. X-ray showed "a perfect specimen".

Long runs (like, more than an hour) have been the mainstay for my emotional health for years, and now they cause me pain. Running seems to aggravate the sciatica, but also to a lesser degree aggravates the back pain.

The question is- should I go out and do a 1.5hr run today, essentially injuring myself on purpose, so I enter the bone scan injured?

I fully admit I am not aware of exactly what a bone scan tests for. Will it only detect bone problems, or will causing inflammation in the sciatic nerve cause it to show up better on the scan?

To the best of my knowledge, bone scans use radiolabelled diphosphonates, which are injected into your bloodstream and are deposited on the bone surface. Increased activity on bone scan can thus be due to increased osteoid formation/mineralization and/or increased blood flow. If the exam is protocolled as a three phase bone scan (usually if they are concerned about osteomyelitis/cellulitis/reflex sympathetic dystrophy, so I don't know if they will do so in your case), the immediate blood flow and blood pool phases can detect increased blood flow, while the third delayed phase detects more bony uptake. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of sciatica being evaluated on bone scans - MRI would be much more sensitive as you can actually see the nerve and look for signs of inflammation (is it thickened, has it changed in signal, is there fluid around it).

To the best of my knowledge, bone scans use radiolabelled diphosphonates, which are injected into your bloodstream and are deposited on the bone surface. Increased activity on bone scan can thus be due to increased osteoid formation/mineralization and/or increased blood flow. If the exam is protocolled as a three phase bone scan (usually if they are concerned about osteomyelitis/cellulitis/reflex sympathetic dystrophy, so I don't know if they will do so in your case), the immediate blood flow and blood pool phases can detect increased blood flow, while the third delayed phase detects more bony uptake. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of sciatica being evaluated on bone scans - MRI would be much more sensitive as you can actually see the nerve and look for signs of inflammation (is it thickened, has it changed in signal, is there fluid around it).

I think the scan is mainly for the throacic pain, and not the sciatic, but I am still interested to see what the SI joint/sciatic looks like on the scan.

Take a look at the adductors on this dude, and how they showed up in his scan:

http://functionalanatomyblog.com/2010/10/28/the-adductor-magnus-and-its-role-in-squatting-part-ii-issues-of-form-strength-and-safety/

Long runs (like, more than an hour) have been the mainstay for my emotional health for years, and now they cause me pain. Running seems to aggravate the sciatica, but also to a lesser degree aggravates the back pain.

I can totally sympathize! As you can tell from my handle, I'm a runner and marathons and half-marathons are my favourite distances. I'm slow, but running is such a part of who I am and it really helps with stress relief and keeping my mood stable.

I hope you get some answers about the back pain. It's definitely not fun to deal with (I fractured my L2 vertebra years back, but fortunately running and staying fit actually helps to prevent back pain for me, instead of making it worse.)

Archived