Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got upgraded into this ridiculous hotel room - see the UWO thread for more information. Anybody in London up for a party? Haha

Edit - They just came and delivered me a bottle of water and nice chocolates. Why? I have no idea, but this sure is fun!

You may find out on your bill tomorrow ;)

I bought it, if you are seriously considering applying to the US and you plan to apply at at least 10 or more schools, it is worth your while to purchase it. It gives the stats for pretty much everything you'd need to know in gauging your chances at a school. I'd recommend it.

Cool! I am considering applying to the states this year and so I thought MSAR would give me all the information in one place rather than me having to search through 100+ websites to look for the information I needed.

I have to confess that I haven't listened to the whole song, but this made me go hmmm...

[/img]

But did the Beatles have to choose which seat they should take?

A new level of pricelessness:

Aww. The facial expressions are great.

Just got upgraded into this ridiculous hotel room - see the UWO thread for more information. Anybody in London up for a party? Haha

Edit - They just came and delivered me a bottle of water and nice chocolates. Why? I have no idea, but this sure is fun!

Obviously, they saw you and thought "This guy is awesome. Upgraded."

So after a pretty horrible morning of my laptop crashing, getting spyware on it and not being able to recover all of the lost data I had on it... after crying for hours thinking how much I hate PC.... I have decided to Mac myself :D

I'M GETTING A MAAAAAAAC!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOT Makes me ridiculously happy. It's like Christmas all over again. lol

So after a pretty horrible morning of my laptop crashing, getting spyware on it and not being able to recover all of the lost data I had on it... after crying for hours thinking how much I hate PC.... I have decided to Mac myself :D

I'M GETTING A MAAAAAAAC!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOT Makes me ridiculously happy. It's like Christmas all over again. lol

You won't regret this decision!;) get a decent portable harddrive as time machine and you should never need to worry about losing data again.

I'm sorry..........I've lost you to the infestation..............

I'm sorry..........I've lost you to the infestation..............

Not really. For the purposes of my field and the systems I am using, mac is way better and faster. That's because poor PC cannot handle the workload of enormous amounts of data and big program files. Poor thing crashes after the matlab code becomes a tiny bit more complex. I'm using Mac in my lab and it has NEVER crashed. EVER. So, no. Mac all the way. (and you'll know what I mean once you start using more complex programs for your research....)

Not really. For the purposes of my field and the systems I am using, mac is way better and faster. That's because poor PC cannot handle the workload of enormous amounts of data and big program files. Poor thing crashes after the matlab code becomes a tiny bit more complex. I'm using Mac in my lab and it has NEVER crashed. EVER. So, no. Mac all the way. (and you'll know what I mean once you start using more complex programs for your research....)

What were the PC's specs? And the Mac's? As a CS major, I suspect the issue you came across was likely 32-bit vs. 64-bit rather than PC vs. Mac. Anways, be warned that Macs do crash more than you think (mine crashes on me more than my PC) and that'll you be paying a large premium for them (approximately 1.75-2.5x the cost of a hardware comparable PC).

That's why I changed over to Mac as well. After using them at work, and never having any problems with them, I decided I wanted one at home too, even if it meant paying a little more than I would for the equivalent PC.

I'm happy with my decision - I hope you will be too. :)

What were the PC's specs? And the Mac's? As a CS major, I suspect the issue you came across was likely 32-bit vs. 64-bit rather than PC vs. Mac. Anways, be warned that Macs do crash more than you think (mine crashes on me more than my PC) and that'll you be paying a large premium for them (approximately 1.75-2.5x the cost of a hardware comparable PC).

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the specs were... I have a Mac at work and I had it for the past couple of months. I have installed everything on this computer imaginable in terms of what I need to do my research. It has NEVER crashed and I've had WAY more data on it than on PC. And it's a beast - so fast. With my PC, it would crash non stop with SPSS (it wouldn't let me open it); it would crash with JMP8 too.... it would crash when I was calculting Euler angles in matlab and writing up a code for it (these were "simple" calculations). And this was after I've taken it in to get it "fixed" and "cleaned"... so I only had my research stuff on it and nothing else. I didn't even load movies on it.... So in all honesty, Mac all the way. I've had enough of PC crap****.

That's why I changed over to Mac as well. After using them at work, and never having any problems with them, I decided I wanted one at home too, even if it meant paying a little more than I would for the equivalent PC.

I'm happy with my decision - I hope you will be too. :)

YAY! So far, I'm really happy with the one at work. That one kind of saved my butt yesterday because I had to re-analyze my data and I did it in a matter of hours... So me = happy right now. :D

Honestly, it doesn't matter what the specs were... I have a Mac at work and I had it for the past couple of months. I have installed everything on this computer imaginable in terms of what I need to do my research. It has NEVER crashed and I've had WAY more data on it than on PC. And it's a beast - so fast. With my PC, it would crash non stop with SPSS (it wouldn't let me open it); it would crash with JMP8 too.... it would crash when I was calculting Euler angles in matlab and writing up a code for it (these were "simple" calculations). And this was after I've taken it in to get it "fixed" and "cleaned"... so I only had my research stuff on it and nothing else. I didn't even load movies on it.... So in all honesty, Mac all the way. I've had enough of PC crap****.

I fundamentally disagree with your analysis of the situation, but hey whatever makes you happy. Enjoy your Mac.

I thought there were some software which weren't compatible with Mac, so the only way to use it is to run Windows on a Mac...

....which IMHO, kind of defeats the purpose of a Mac?

that is the case indeed but not very often.

Macs are definitely overrated and I am typing this on a macbook myself.

Things were great in the beginning but now I get maybe a total crash requiring reboot every couple of days, bootcamp to have windows does not work, many apps need to be force quit in order to quit (don't respond to normal quit). Generally slowed down by a lot and is annoying.

Not doing so well today... one sick cat (tooth infection) and one sick owner (allergies + stomach flu). First time taking her to the vet today. Her infection looks pretty bad... I can't believe I didn't notice it until yesterday, no wonder she's been losing some weight/not eating her dry food. Poor girl.

There are some software that isn't available for PC. So the only way is to emulate Mac OS X on PC...which is almost impossible.

There are many purposes to a mac :) but I think everyone should learn to customize what works best for their purposes. I got my 15'' mac for free, so I have no complaints towards a new computer in general :)

I thought there were some software which weren't compatible with Mac, so the only way to use it is to run Windows on a Mac...

....which IMHO, kind of defeats the purpose of a Mac?

One thing that most people don't understand is that the only difference between Macs and PCs is software. The hardware isn't virtually the same; it is the same! Same CPUs, same RAM, same GPUs, same buses, same everything!

When you buy a Mac, you're paying a premium for hardware, a sleek case, and the ability to use OS X.

Not doing so well today... one sick cat (tooth infection) and one sick owner (allergies + stomach flu). First time taking her to the vet today. Her infection looks pretty bad... I can't believe I didn't notice it until yesterday, no wonder she's been losing some weight/not eating her dry food. Poor girl.

Aww. I hope you both feel better. I have two cats myself, so I know what it's like when a cat is I'll or injured. Don't feel bad about not noticing - cats are very good at hiding injuries or illness.

Aww. I hope you both feel better. I have two cats myself, so I know what it's like when a cat is I'll or injured. Don't feel bad about not noticing - cats are very good at hiding injuries or illness.

Thanks :) Yeah, they definitely are. She had been eating less the past couple of weeks, I thought she was just being finicky (wanting soft food over dry food), so I kept giving her dry food. Didn't realize that the reason she wasn't eating the dry food as much wasn't because she was picky, it just hurt her mouth. I bought a lot of soft food for her after I found out. She can't eat all she wants. I hope she'll forgive me :)

One thing that most people don't understand is that the only difference between Macs and PCs is software. The hardware isn't virtually the same; it is the same! Same CPUs, same RAM, same GPUs, same buses, same everything!

When you buy a Mac, you're paying a premium for hardware, a sleek case, and the ability to use OS X.

To add a bit of comedy (and for poor linux):

:( *ehugs* for you and your cat. Get well soon (to both of you).

Archived