Premed 101 Forums

Rejection letters are out

Guest blahblahblah

Guest blahblahblah

Hi all:

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I finally got the dreaded letter today. Back to OMSAS I guess!

For those who have been waitlisted at Toronto in the past, are the admissions people helful at all in providing feedback with respect to the strenghts and weaknesses of your applications? If so, any one in particular I should contact? Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The UofT Admissions Office is now presenting a "no feedback" policy. I called a senior Admissions Office person a few weeks ago and she said that they are no longer allowed to provide feedback to previous applicants. That's too bad, really. :|

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UTMed07

Hi blahblahblah,

I have an idea of what you're feeling, 'cause I was there last year.

Toronto didn't really provide me any additional info then and I went to the admissions office in person. The only thing I managed to get out of them was the impression that my interview was the problem, something I had strongly suspected.

Generally, I tend to think a rejection post-interview points to a bad interview and that, in my opinion, is something painful to digest because the rejection in a sense is so personal. Reality is that people sometimes have a bad day and not all interviewers are the same. The faculty member that interviewed me two years ago had a much different style and approach to things than I (which made it more difficult for me to connect with them). Also, I later heard that that particular interviewer had a reputation for being tough.

In any case, it is my opinion that, interviewing is a skill and it can be improved. If you suspect the interview was the weak spot work on it.

I hope you have better luck next year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chiapet921

just a thought about those darn-interviews...how really does one improve one's interview skills? I know that at UofT's career centre they offer workshops and stuff like that...but are there "professional" help? would anyone have any idea?

I have a feeling it was my poor interview that got me booted as well...:(

and just curious about UofT's waitlist policy...would anyone know if this most recent waitlist was a long one?

I did a "mock interview" at the career centre at my undergrad, and I found it very helpful. They recorded the interview and then played it back to show me my weaknesses. It's hard to assess whether it really improved my eventual interviews, but it made me a little less nervous, and can't have hurt.

I think there are some consultant services out there that will help improve interview skills (should be easy to search for in google), but they likely cost a fair amount, and it's worth checking out the free or cheap services that your own career centre offers first, imho.

No idea about the waitlist policy at U of T. Good luck in this round! :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There is a really neat program in Speech Communication that is offered at the U. of Waterloo. They have at least one course in interpersonal communication, i.e., a course that teaches theory and skills surrounding one-on-one and small group communication. If you happen to be a U. Waterloo student then that may be a viable option for you to improve your interviewing skills. Otherwise, a stint as a bartender can often help. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I don't think one has to take a course. In my opinion, a few books and some practise will help you improve.

Here are a couple of books I thought were useful:

Eggert, Max, "Perfect Interview: All You Need to Get It Right the First Time," Random House Business Books

Goleman, Daniel, "Emotional Intelligence," Bantam Books, 1997. ISBN: 0553375067

Emotional Intelligence is an interesting read (if one can put aside the book's US cultural & political prejudices). Its thesis is that communications skills are more often of greater importance than IQ, but unlike IQ can be improved.

Perfect Interview has a lot of common sense tips that are useful to think about.

I know that at UofT's career centre they offer workshops and stuff like that...but are there "professional" help? would anyone have any idea?
Try the career centre. I think they are pretty good. If you're not happy with 'em look for a management trainer.

curious about UofT's waitlist policy...would anyone know if this most recent waitlist was a long one?
Last year, admissions told me the list was something like 150 people long. Whether this year was the similar or different... I don't know.

Guest chiapet921

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I will look into it for sure!

By the way, how do you do that quote stuff? haha...looks pretty neat...sorry, I'm new at this...my first day at work...:)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This is a bit of a test, as I've never done this either...

This is how it is done -- just remove the spaces between the square brackets.

With respect to quoting, are you limited to copying and pasting the e-mail directly before your own? That is, when I move to the "add reply" page, I am shown only the e-mail that directly precedes mine, no others.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

P.S. Dang! It didn't work. This time I'll try removing the spaces at either end of the above sentence. If this doesn't work, can someone share exactly how you quote other posts? Thanks again. :) Kirsteen

If this doesn't work, can someone share exactly how you quote other posts?

you can

1) copy and paste the test you want to quote, then highlight the pasted text and click on the "quote" button on the sidebar (on the left)

OR, if you want to do it by hand

2)type the word quote in square brackets, then paste or type the stuff you want to quote from then type /quote in square brackets after the quoted section...there are no spaces between the square brackets and the quoted stuff

I would put an example, but then it will just quote everything I type....oh, i have an idea...I will repost the example in 'plain text' so it doesn't recognize the code

i hope that makes sense...I have never written the word "quote" so many times in one paragraph

*turtle*

oh...and make sure you have the "ezCodes" button checked off (instead of "Plain Text")

here is the example of how the code should look:

all the things you want to quote are in here...note that there are no spaces between the square brackets and this sentence

Guest chiapet921
all the things you want to quote are in here...note that there are no spaces between the square brackets and this sentence

wow...impressive no? :lol

thanks!! I learned something new today...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Sorry, but I don't mean to be a pain for those of you who already know how to do all of this lovely quoting stuff. I just tried a small quoting trial and it worked. :) Cheers for your help. Also, thanks for the "ezCodes" tip. I'd never felt the need to give this button a press before.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived