Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS Match

"The CaRMS match at Ontario medical schools will be open to both:

* Graduates of LCME/CACMS accredited schools or a school of osteopathic medicine who are Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents and NOT previously registered in a postgraduate medical training program; (CMG) and

* International Medical Graduates (IMG)."

Based on this, what category (CMG or IMG) would these people fall under in the first iteration?

1. A Canadian citizen from a US medical school

2. A Canadian citizen from an Irish medical school

3. A Canadian citizen from an Australian medical school

4. A Canadian citizen from a Caribbean medical school

i was under the impression that all 4 would; however, i think CARMS just recently changed. to match first iteration now, i think you've got to be a CDN (or US?) grad...

it was less confusing last time i was on their website. there was a table with what round you matched into...

1st iteration match is open to both CMGs and IMGs but through seperate streams.

Check this out for IMG quotas:

https://w1c.e-carms.ca/pdws2009/jsp/pd.do?p=p1&m=1

Cdn citizens who attend US medschools are considered CMGs. If possible, you should go to a US school vs. Ireland or Oz b/c there are way more spaces for CMGs and you are not req'd to fulfill a return-of-service.

Cdn citizens who attend schools outside of Canada and US are considered IMGs. Technically you don't have an advantage for going to Ireland or Australia over the Caribbean. However, if the residency director is familiar w/ the school you went to, say RCSI or USyd, you probably have an advantage over someone who went to SABA or SGU.

Cdn citizens who attend US medschools are considered CMGs. If possible, you should go to a US school vs. Ireland or Oz b/c there are way more spaces for CMGs and you are not req'd to fulfill a return-of-service.

Cdn citizens who attend schools outside of Canada and US are considered IMGs. Technically you don't have an advantage for going to Ireland or Australia over the Caribbean. However, if the residency director is familiar w/ the school you went to, say RCSI or USyd, you probably have an advantage over someone who went to SABA or SGU.

Thanks for the info!

Ok, I have information straight from the horse's mouth.

CSAs (Canadians Studying Abroad), as it currently stands, ARE NOT differentiated from IMGs in terms of the CaRMS match. In 2009, only Manitoba offered to permit IMGs to match in the second round of the CaRMS match in direct competition with CMGs. In 2010, Alberta and Ontario will be added to the list of provinces permitting IMGs to match in the second round of the CaRMS match .

As far as Canadian studying in the US, I wasn't able to get any information from the CaRMS manager & director, so I can't speak to that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest copacetic

this is all correct

In 2010, Alberta and Ontario will be added to the list of provinces permitting IMGs to match in the second round of the CaRMS match

IMGs have always been able to match to Ontario in the second round.

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml#ontario

Quote:

Second Iteration: All unfilled positions will be committed to the second iteration of CaRMS and will be open to all candidates including graduates of Canadian medical schools (CMGs) and international medical graduates (IMGs) who fulfill the eligibility criteria.

Hello.... I know that my question is someway very naive but i need your advice

I am Non-canadian citizin and i am looking forward to apply to carms to get postioion in residency program....

would you please tell me about my odds to get a place in resedency program in Canada...

Hello.... I know that my question is someway very naive but i need your advice

I am Non-canadian citizin and i am looking forward to apply to carms to get postioion in residency program....

would you please tell me about my odds to get a place in resedency program in Canada...

Sorry to say, if you're not a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, your odds are exactly zero.

http://carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml

Archived