Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD Questions

Guest BlueyR6

I have a couple of questions that I want to throw to current MD/PhD students, or those who are applying this year:

How much of the decision was based on your inability/reluctance/stubbornness to choose between MD or PhD? Did you ever consider the MD/PhD path as satisfying your interest in research at this point in life, although it many not ultimately be a large part of your later career ?

Why choose this route over pursuing the PhD component during a residency's academic enrichment period, particularly since your clinical experiences may re-direct your scientific interests?

Thanks!

I'm not a MD/PhD student but I have done a master's and have some idea about what the MD/PhD program entails (after talking to some residents and an attending physician affiliated with U of T).

How much of the decision was based on your inability/reluctance/stubbornness to choose between MD or PhD?

I think the question you have to ask yourself is:

"Do I want to care for patients?"

Did you ever consider the MD/PhD path as satisfying your interest in research at this point in life, although it many not ultimately be a large part of your later career ?

The MD/PhD program is a big commitment. If you're not certain about research being in your future I'd suggest you do a plain-vanilla MD. If you later find research is your thing, you can still do a PhD as a part of your residency (and also save some time -- 'cause most residency/research-scientist programs count research time toward your residency time).

How much of the decision was based on your inability/reluctance/stubbornness to choose between MD or PhD? Did you ever consider the MD/PhD path as satisfying your interest in research at this point in life, although it many not ultimately be a large part of your later career?
Those are some hard questions. I totally agree with everything that UTMed07 wrote above. Four extra years before graduating medical school is a long time if you don't really plan to use that training in your career! The program (from what I've seen, I'm no expert) will want to see that you are making a commitment to have a research career. Of course, you could lie, but do you want to be in a program whose goals don't match your own?

Why choose this route over pursuing the PhD component during a residency's academic enrichment period, particularly since your clinical experiences may re-direct your scientific interests?
This is really a personal question, and different for everyone. I think it is a two way street, and that my scientific experiences will redirect my clinical interests.

For much more discussion on this issue, you might want to check out the MD/PhD forum on the www.studentdoctor.net/forums .

Archived