Premed 101 Forums

Practice test 3R Q77

ratatat

Lol don't quote me on this, because I don't know much.

anyways remember first that work is a scalar quantity, that doesn't mean much in this case it seems like a bit of a trick question with them giving you all that trig info. Anyways if you think about the pully the entire force (both the x and y components) gets translated in to a vertical force on the mass (think about the FBD)so F (50N) * D (4M) = 200 J works

another way to think about it that is probably a lot easier is the change in potential energy (J) which is also equiv. to the work done on the system, since the mass moves up 4 m U=mgh = 200J

hopefully that helps a bit...

Lol don't quote me on this, because I don't know much.

anyways remember first that work is a scalar quantity, that doesn't mean much in this case it seems like a bit of a trick question with them giving you all that trig info. Anyways if you think about the pully the entire force (both the x and y components) gets translated in to a vertical force on the mass (think about the FBD)so F (50N) * D (4M) = 200 J works

another way to think about it that is probably a lot easier is the change in potential energy (J) which is also equiv. to the work done on the system, since the mass moves up 4 m U=mgh = 200J

hopefully that helps a bit...

AdamP is perfectly correct!

Work is scalar, and equal to the change in potential energy of the mass in this case. As AdamP says that would be mgh.

I love physics :)

Pulley = machine

Machines make our lives easier by reducing FORCE. A smaller person can push an object since less force is required with a machine. That being said, it's give-and-take with machines. When force is decreased, the force has to be exerted for a greater DISTANCE. In the instance of an inclined plane, an object must be moved a greater distance to get to a certain vertical height. Smaller force and greater distance = same total WORK. Remember, work = (Force)(distance).

You can simply ignore the picture and answer the question based on the first sentence. Work will be the same no matter what machine (or lack thereof) is used.

Archived